Mailing List Archive

LIRC unresolved symobols ( I hate LIRC!!!!! )
I am following instrucktions at:
http://pvrhw.goldfish.org/tiki-page.php?pageName=rh9pvr250#lirc

I seem to compile lirc Ok.
but I ran:
# /sbin/depmod -a
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-8/misc/lirc_dev.o
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.20-8/misc/lirc_i2c.o

OK so I checked the FAQ for Lirc and it mentions that I didnt configure my
kernel right. The only thing I can think of is I used the wrong config file
for my kernal.

I did the following:
cp /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8/configs/kernel-2.4.20-i686.config ../.config

I am using a Pentum 2 so I assume this is the correct config file.

I am lost now, I dont know where to turn to depub or how to get rid of lirc
and start fresh.

BTW, the symbolic link /src/usr/linux which i believe is a link to my kernel
source /src/usr/linux-2.4.20-8 is broken is that a problem? how can I
recreate it correctly?

Info:
P2 355MHZ
Red Hat 9
Myth 1.10

Any help is appreciated

Michael Monk
Senior, Computer Science
University of North Carolina @ Charlotte
email: mbmonk@uncc.edu

Re: LIRC unresolved symobols ( I hate LIRC!!!!! ) [ In reply to ]
i586 is what you want for a P2... and you should really just run "make
menuconfig" from your sources directory or let redhat figure it out for
you on install... but uh... a P2 is not gonna make a very good MythTV
machine... some geniuses might be able to barely make it a somewhat
decent frontend but its not going to be a good backend machine.

you should read the hardware reccomendations for mythtv again...

mOjO

Re: LIRC unresolved symobols ( I hate LIRC!!!!! ) [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2003-08-04 at 18:45, mojo wrote:
> i586 is what you want for a P2

PII (and Pentium Pro) is i686...

You should always leave your .config file alone...that is: use the same
one you compiled your kernel with...otherwise the new modules will
compile with a different configuration and you will get unresolved
symbol errors on modules (among other things!)...
Re:LIRC unresolved symobols ( I hate LIRC!!!!! ) [ In reply to ]
Thanks to both of you for your replies.

I am fully aware of the hardware requirements for Mythtv. I have a PVR-250
so the capturing is no problem. The P2 355 MHZ can only to smooth play back
at 352*240 resolution ( or whatever VCD quality is).

I am assuming I am going to have to do a reinstall of RH9 in order to get
.config restored back to the original. I am not sure what it was.

Anyone post a link to a site for Lirc instructions. I am trying to use
the PVR-250 Grey remote with the Red,green,yellow,blue buttons on it.

I am only building this machine until I can afford the upgrade in hardware.
If I can learn and work the bugs out then I will ready when my pockets
catchup to my desires.

Re: Re:LIRC unresolved symobols ( I hate LIRC!!!!! ) [ In reply to ]
> I am assuming I am going to have to do a reinstall of RH9 in order to get
> .config restored back to the original. I am not sure what it was.

Some distributions put the .config used to build the kernel in /boot usually
named config-2.4.20-3 or something along those lines.

The lirc documentation suggests compiling a kernel from source. This was what
I found to be effective. But you might not want to take that on.

James S. White GAPS Incorporated
james@jameswhite.org Electrical Engineer - Etc.
http://www.jameswhite.org Caffeine is my anti-drug.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.
And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.
-Jack Handy