Mailing List Archive

new user, remote questions/ideas.
Greetings all,
I am new to mythtv, and have taken some interest in this, even tho I
really dont watch tv :>
I really like this project, I find it fascinating :)
I am an electronics tech, I repair tvs, vcr, cameras, ect ect...
I have some ideas, questions..

first, the setup:
slack9, voodoo3, 2 x avertv studio cards + btaudio (btaudio works great
for me, no jumper needed)

so, let me run this by some of you:
I am using 2 avertv studio cards. they have built in IR capabilities.
however, the remote that came with the cards is the least desired
remote, thats for sure.
I figured, if lirc can pick up on other remotes using the ir device,
possibly just use another remote.
however, it doesnt see any other remote besides the avertv remote.
ive tried other remotes, ive tried different detectors. it just doesnt
see them.
im probably going to scope this out eventually, just gotta get some time
to get my mythtv box fired up and next to an oscope.

has anyone here attempted this already? or am I beating a dead horse
into submission.
for all i know the card may be purposely rejecting the other controls.
I have a hoarde of controls to pick from at work, and i can get it to
see none of them.
I dont know about the ir leds in the controls, and if they make a
difference. I have tried swapping the ir leds with no sucess.

last but no least,
I tried this with a voodoo3, and getting the tvout on the voodoo3 was
really, a pain.
does anyone ahve a suggestion as to what video card does a video out
with ease, as well as good quality?

thanks to everyone, and thanks to the developers for making such a nice,
easy to use application :)

Mark Rutherford
mark@justirc.net

PGP key: http://www.justirc.net/~mark/markrutherford.asc
fingerprint: 1CF2 6229 306D A2C8 2C89 46BE FFD6 D910 5170 4FA9
Re:new user, remote questions/ideas. [ In reply to ]
=================
I figured, if lirc can pick up on other remotes using the ir device,

possibly just use another remote.
however, it doesnt see any other remote besides the avertv remote.
ive tried other remotes, ive tried different detectors. it just
doesnt
see them.
=================
Is this after you killed the lirc deamon and ran irrecord? it sounds
like you are
using a lircd.conf flie that lists the buttons for the Aver card
only. This file ( at
least for me) is in the /etc directory. In order to append other
remotes to it, you
need to stop the lirc deamon, then run "irrecord remote", where
'remote' is any
new filename you pick. After that simply copy and append the new
"begin
remote...end remote" section from the new file to your existing
lircd.conf file.

BTW, I do this (sort of, with learning remote) with AverMedia card
and it works
fine. No need for any special hardware mod to another remote. You can
even
use the -f option with irrecord to capture codes from stubborn
remotes in raw
mode. So it's very possible to do what you want with another remote
and the
Aver card. This is in my lircd.conf flie:
---------------
#These two lines are 3-digit codes that I defined for later use if I
need them:
#559 0x0000000002FD54AB
#655 0x0000000002FD4CB3

begin remote

name Avermedia
bits 16
flags SPACE_ENC|CONST_LENGTH
eps 30
aeps 100

header 8984 4527
one 568 1681
zero 568 558
ptrail 547
repeat 8985 2276
pre_data_bits 16
pre_data 0x2FD
gap 108069
toggle_bit 0

begin codes
TV 0x0000000000006897
FM 0x000000000000A857
...more buttons
end codes

end remote

begin remote

name Aver_extended
bits 32
eps 30
aeps 100

one 0 0
zero 0 0
gap 199991
toggle_bit 0

begin codes
PLAY 0x0000000002FD1CE3
REC 0x0000000002FD14EB
MOVE 0x0000000002FD7C83
end codes

end remote
-----------------------
The "extended' buttons are codes that I put into the learning remote,
then
captured with irrecord.

Hope this helps,
Alex

RE: new user, remote questions/ideas. [ In reply to ]

Seems the card with the most trouble-free setup reports is some model of
Nvidia GeForce2. I myself have a GeForce 4 MX 420, which has also been
relatively pain-free.

-JAC