Mailing List Archive

Problem with apt-get install ivtv
I'm following Jarod's wonderful installation instructions
(http://pvrhw.goldfish.org/tiki-page.php?pageName=rh9pvr250) and
everything has gone smoothly up to step 10, getting and installing ivtv,
which fails. A transcript is below.

Background: I am using kernel 2.4.20-19.9.3.at. I ran "apt-get install
mythtv-suite" without any errors.

Thank you for any help.

Ellen

[root@media root]# apt-get install ivtv ivtv-kmdl-`uname -r`
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

ivtv: Depends: perl(Video::Frequencies) but it is not installable
Depends: perl(Video::Frequencies) (>= 0.03) but it is not
installable
Depends: perl(Video::ivtv) (>= 0.12) but it is not installable
Depends: perl-Video-Frequencies but it is not installable
Depends: perl-Video-ivtv but it is not installable
E: Broken packages

Re: Problem with apt-get install ivtv [ In reply to ]
On Saturday, Ellen Spertus wrote:

> I'm following Jarod's wonderful installation instructions

You're too kind. :)

> everything has gone smoothly up to step 10, getting and installing
> ivtv,
> which fails. A transcript is below.
>
> Background: I am using kernel 2.4.20-19.9.3.at. I ran "apt-get install
> mythtv-suite" without any errors.

So far, so good...

> [root@media root]# apt-get install ivtv ivtv-kmdl-`uname -r`
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> or been moved out of Incoming.

> ivtv: Depends: perl(Video::Frequencies) but it is not installable
> Depends: perl(Video::Frequencies) (>= 0.03) but it is not
> installable
> Depends: perl(Video::ivtv) (>= 0.12) but it is not installable
> Depends: perl-Video-Frequencies but it is not installable
> Depends: perl-Video-ivtv but it is not installable
> E: Broken packages

Doh! I think I just figured out the problem here. Axel (the ATrpms
maintainer) still has perl-Video-Frequencies and perl-Video-ivtv under
his bleeding-edge package section, which isn't enabled by default in
your apt sources.

Open up /etc/apt/sources.list and uncomment this line:
rpm http://apt.physik.fu-berlin.de redhat/9/en/i386 at-bleeding

Then run
# apt-get update

And then try apt-get install ivtv ivtv-kmdl-`uname -r` again. I'll
shoot off a message to Axel. We recently deemed the ivtv rpms solid
enough to be pulled out of the bleeding-edge section, but it appears we
forgot to pull its dependencies out too. :( That'll be fixed shortly...
In the mean time, the steps above ought to get you back on track. Bad
documenter (and package guy :), no biscuit.

-jcw
Re: Problem with apt-get install ivtv [ In reply to ]
Quoting "Jarod C. Wilson" <jcw@wilsonet.com>:
> Open up /etc/apt/sources.list and uncomment this line:
> rpm http://apt.physik.fu-berlin.de redhat/9/en/i386 at-bleeding
>
> Then run
> # apt-get update
>
> And then try apt-get install ivtv ivtv-kmdl-`uname -r` again.

Thank you. That did it.

Ellen