audio from the hardware encoder of my newly bought pvr-250 (from circuit
city, thanks to the one who suggested it this week).

Anyway, it works when I first go into "Watch TV", but the first channel
change kills the audio. Has anyone seen this before? I searched the
archives but didn't see a solution that worked for me. (I found one that
suggested doing test_ioctl -v input=7,output=1; sleep 3; test_ioctl
input=1,output=1; but that didn't do it.

Brian Hayward
Re: PVR-250 Sound/Changing Channels [ In reply to ]
Since I didn't hear back and I couldn't find a solution within the
archives, I figured I'd add my solution to the archives.

I found that if I do this:

./test_ioctl -v input=7,output=1
sleep 3
./test_ioctl -v input=7,output=2

I could then successfully change channels within mythtv without losing the
audio on my pvr 250.

Thanks,
Brian Hayward

--
Brian Hayward
RE: Re: PVR-250 Sound/Changing Channels [ In reply to ]
> Since I didn't hear back and I couldn't find a solution within the
> archives, I figured I'd add my solution to the archives.

You might want to try the latest ivtv drivers. Some audio fixes were made on
7/31.

output=2 is voodoo, it is almost a certainty that the underlying hardware
chip doesn't really support that setting, what it does do is reset the chip
again and restore the setting sent before (if you are lucky).

I know the ivtv docs tell you to guess around and see what works but there
really are very few settings that apply to the MSP chip used with the pvr
cards.

--
Anduin Withers
RE: Re: PVR-250 Sound/Changing Channels [ In reply to ]
>You might want to try the latest ivtv drivers. Some audio fixes were made on
>7/31.

I downloaded these on 8/1 or 8/2 from the "click here to get the latest
snapshot" thing on their website.

>output=2 is voodoo, it is almost a certainty that the underlying hardware
>chip doesn't really support that setting, what it does do is reset the chip
>again and restore the setting sent before (if you are lucky).
>
>I know the ivtv docs tell you to guess around and see what works but there
>really are very few settings that apply to the MSP chip used with the pvr
>cards.

Until those docs are updated, do you have a suggested place to look for
what "output=x" setting I should use? Doing it twice in a row with
output=1 then output=2 was the only way I could get it to work when
changing channels.

ALSO:
Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get my initial channel properly
set on machine bootup? It seems that mythbackend gets confused and I have
to run xawtv then change the channel before running
mythbackend/mythfrontend. I tried v4lctl setstation with no luck.

--
Brian Hayward
RE: Re: PVR-250 Sound/Changing Channels [ In reply to ]
> I downloaded these on 8/1 or 8/2 from the "click here to get the latest
> snapshot" thing on their website.

If you mean "Latest CVS tarball" then you've got it.

> Until those docs are updated, do you have a suggested place to look for
> what "output=x" setting I should use? Doing it twice in a row with
> output=1 then output=2 was the only way I could get it to work when
> changing channels.

Output should be 1, input should be 3 (1 for svideo). I have several card
revs and this is true on all of them.

> Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get my initial channel properly
> set on machine bootup?

test_ioctl will let you set the frequency, the ivtv driver also comes with a
perl script which can do it (I'm lazy though and don't like to install all
the various required perl gizmozs it needs, so I was pretty happy to find
chann.c in the utils directory, had to change the frequency table it was
using by default but after that it works).

I should also say that I do not have a problem with the mythbackend getting
all confused about channels on load.

--
Anduin Withers