Mailing List Archive

No Picture
When I run mythfrontend and choose TV->Watch TV my screen goes blank (but
I get TV sound).

I can toggle to a console and kill mythfrontend and get X back, but the TV
sound continues.

Mythfrontend says:

$ mythfrontend
connecting to backend server: 127.0.0.1:6543
Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
Opening OSS audio device ''.
open: No such file or directory
^-----(this line is repeated about 67 times)
player: Can't open audio device:
Over/underscanning. V: 0.000000, H: 0.000000, XOff: 0, YOff: 0
Using XV port 61
Terminated

and mythbackend says:
2003-08-01 15:40:27 adding: bilbo.hutnick.com as a player 1
2003-08-01 15:40:27 adding: bilbo.hutnick.com as a player 0
2003-08-01 15:40:27 adding: bilbo.hutnick.com as a player 0
2003-08-01 15:40:27 adding: bilbo.hutnick.com as a remote ringbuffer
Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
open: Resource temporarily unavailable
open: Resource temporarily unavailable
audio volume set to '32768'
Changing from WatchingLiveTV to None

It is pretty clear to me that this is a config issue, but I have no idea
what it is. For reference motv (and xawtv) works fine, both in a window
and full-screen. Actually, the only way I have found to stop the sound is
to fire up motv.

Anyone have suggestions on how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks,

Peter

Re: No Picture [ In reply to ]
I got the exact same thing!

For me, it was fixed when I went into setup, tv, general and saved the
values. I did
not have to change anything, just saved the values as they were. (I may have
modified an item then changed it back to force the save, I do not remember)

HTH,

Steve B.

Re: No Picture [ In reply to ]
Steve B. said:
> I got the exact same thing!
>
> For me, it was fixed when I went into setup, tv, general and saved the
> values. I did
> not have to change anything, just saved the values as they were. (I may
> have modified an item then changed it back to force the save, I do not
> remember)

Just tried it both ways. Didn't help.

Thanks for the input anyway.

-Peter

Re: No Picture [ In reply to ]
Oops! Allow me to correct myself.

In mythfrontend, go to Setup->General. Change/Un-Change the Audio
Output device. Click Next, then finish, and your set.

Steve B.

Re: No Picture [ In reply to ]
Steve B. said:
> Oops! Allow me to correct myself.
>
> In mythfrontend, go to Setup->General. Change/Un-Change the Audio
> Output device. Click Next, then finish, and your set.

Nope, that didn't get it either.

I've been running the backend as root an the fronted as a normal user.

I noticed that my change wasn't taking (/dev/dsp ->/dev/dsp1) once if
"finish"ed and went back.

I tried running the frontend as root and that behavior persisted.

-Peter

Re: No Picture [ In reply to ]
Hey Peter,

had a recent problem with this myself - coinciding with a change in my
configuration. I was using a simple bt878 tvcard, now I am using the
tuner from this card in conjunction with an old Miro DC10 for hardware
MJPEG encoding.

My problem was that the recording profiles needed to be set up
correctly. I was trying to encode hardware compressed video with RTjpeg
and needed to set these to Hardware MJPEG. Once I did this, I got my
video back...

What video hardware are you using?

Mark Edwards

Re: No Picture [ In reply to ]
Mark Edwards said:
> Hey Peter,
>
> had a recent problem with this myself - coinciding with a change in my
> configuration. I was using a simple bt878 tvcard, now I am using the
> tuner from this card in conjunction with an old Miro DC10 for hardware
> MJPEG encoding.
>
> My problem was that the recording profiles needed to be set up
> correctly. I was trying to encode hardware compressed video with RTjpeg
> and needed to set these to Hardware MJPEG. Once I did this, I got my
> video back...
>
> What video hardware are you using?

I have a bt878.

I have some "blank" entries in mythtvsetup->Video Sources. How can I
delete entries there?

-Peter

Re: No Picture [ In reply to ]
There may well be a more elegant way of doing this, but the only way I
am aware of to do this is to drop the database and start from scratch or
to issue your own delete statements within mysql. As a bit of a
myth-newbie I am now gearing up for the inevitable RTFM-oriented replies
to this suggestion....

Mark

Re: No Picture [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 02 August 2003 06:50 pm, Mark Edwards wrote:
> There may well be a more elegant way of doing this, but the only way I
> am aware of to do this is to drop the database and start from scratch or
> to issue your own delete statements within mysql. As a bit of a
> myth-newbie I am now gearing up for the inevitable RTFM-oriented replies
> to this suggestion....

Or just say 'yes' to the first question the setup program asks you.

Isaac
Re: No Picture [ In reply to ]
Isaac Richards said:
> On Saturday 02 August 2003 06:50 pm, Mark Edwards wrote:
>> There may well be a more elegant way of doing this, but the only way I
>> am aware of to do this is to drop the database and start from scratch
>> or to issue your own delete statements within mysql. As a bit of a
>> myth-newbie I am now gearing up for the inevitable RTFM-oriented
>> replies to this suggestion....
>
> Or just say 'yes' to the first question the setup program asks you.

That seems to do away with the tuner data, but not the video sources data,
which is the problem.

-Peter

Re: No Picture [ In reply to ]
> > I have some "blank" entries in mythtvsetup->Video Sources. How can I
> > delete entries there?
When you run ./setup, have you tried hitting yes to clearing the existing
video settings?

Re: No Picture [ In reply to ]
Dane Kantner said:
>> > I have some "blank" entries in mythtvsetup->Video Sources. How can
>> I delete entries there?
> When you run ./setup, have you tried hitting yes to clearing the
> existing video settings?

I've tried that. I thought we'd established that that clears "Capture
Cards" but not "Video Sources."

Is there a way to start completely from scratch?

-Peter

Re: No Picture [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 03 August 2003 02:19 pm, Peter Hutnick wrote:

> >> I delete entries there?
> >
> > When you run ./setup, have you tried hitting yes to clearing the
> > existing video settings?
>
> I've tried that. I thought we'd established that that clears "Capture
> Cards" but not "Video Sources."

Then say yes to the second question.

> Is there a way to start completely from scratch?

Wipe your database and start over. There's really no need to do that, though.

Isaac
Re: No Picture - updates! [ In reply to ]
Isaac Richards said:

>> I've tried that. I thought we'd established that that clears "Capture
>> Cards" but not "Video Sources."
>
> Then say yes to the second question.

Would you like to clear all program/channel
settings before starting configuration? [no]

This option seems to be inadequately labeled. I /really/ didn't want to
wipe all of the channel setting for no good reason since it takes a /long/
time to re-populate the DB.

Saying yes to the second question /did/ get rid of those entries.

But that wasn't the problem.

I coincidentally ran motv as root and got . . . no picture. When I ran
mythbackend and mythfrontend as the same user as my X session (and
monkeyed around with some file permissions) it all fell into place.

I now have the following questions:

Is there a list of default keyboard controls somewhere?

How can one bring the sound and video in sync?

Why isn't the mouse available on the main frontend screen?

Is there a way to exit from the main screen gracefully?

Why doesn't it turn off the audio when I go back to the main screen?

Why doesn't it shut down when I use the "close" feature of my WM?

Why doesn't it turn off the audio when I kill it or use ctrl-c? (As this
seems to be the only way to exit.)

Thanks for all the help!

-Peter

Re: No Picture - updates! [ In reply to ]

Re: No Picture - updates! [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 03 August 2003 03:41 pm, Peter Hutnick wrote:
> Isaac Richards said:
> >> I've tried that. I thought we'd established that that clears "Capture
> >> Cards" but not "Video Sources."
> >
> > Then say yes to the second question.
>
> Would you like to clear all program/channel
> settings before starting configuration? [no]
>
> This option seems to be inadequately labeled. I /really/ didn't want to
> wipe all of the channel setting for no good reason since it takes a /long/
> time to re-populate the DB.

You didn't want to manually remove them from the database, so that's your only
choice.

http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-11.html

> How can one bring the sound and video in sync?

You didn't set up your soundcard properly.
http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-7.html

> Why isn't the mouse available on the main frontend screen?

> Is there a way to exit from the main screen gracefully?

Set up a shutdown key from the General settings menu.

> Why doesn't it turn off the audio when I go back to the main screen?

http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-7.html

> Why doesn't it shut down when I use the "close" feature of my WM?

Because the WM doesn't know how to shut it down properly.

> Why doesn't it turn off the audio when I kill it or use ctrl-c? (As this
> seems to be the only way to exit.)

http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-7.html

> Thanks for all the help!

Thanks for sending this email to me 4 times.

Isaac
Re: No Picture - updates! [ In reply to ]
Isaac Richards said:
>> Would you like to clear all program/channel
>> settings before starting configuration? [no]
>>
>> This option seems to be inadequately labeled.

> You didn't want to manually remove them from the database, so that's
> your only choice.

I don't understand what one thing has to do with the other. Clearly the
fact that I didn't want to remove DB entries is not the reason that the
setup utility doesn't mention that it will remove program/channel AND
"Video Sources" data.

>> Is there a list of default keyboard controls somewhere?
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-11.html

*blush*

>> How can one bring the sound and video in sync?
>
> You didn't set up your soundcard properly.
> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-7.html

*BLUSH*

>> Why isn't the mouse available on the main frontend screen?
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-18.html#ss18.22

Damn, I even read this, then promptly forgot about it.

I guess the question is, why is the mouse available on the other screens?

>> Is there a way to exit from the main screen gracefully?
>
> Set up a shutdown key from the General settings menu.

Groovy.

>> Why doesn't it turn off the audio when I go back to the main screen?
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-7.html

I don't see the answer there. What I am asking is why doesn't it turn off
the audio /output/ on the tuner card when I exit. (Not the line input, as
you seem to be suggesting.)

Granted that it would be hard for me to notice that if I had things set up
correctly . . .

>> Why doesn't it shut down when I use the "close" feature of my WM?
>
> Because the WM doesn't know how to shut it down properly.

Would you mind elaborating on this? If it is the case I'll submit a bug
to the KDE folks.

>> Thanks for all the help!
>
> Thanks for sending this email to me 4 times.

I sent it to you twice. Sorry, I kind of double clicked the submit button
on my webmail. It also when to the list twice, sorry to everyone on that.
I won't cc you this time, if that's any consolation :-)

-Peter

Re: No Picture - updates! [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 03 August 2003 04:49 pm, Peter Hutnick wrote:
> I don't understand what one thing has to do with the other. Clearly the
> fact that I didn't want to remove DB entries is not the reason that the
> setup utility doesn't mention that it will remove program/channel AND
> "Video Sources" data.

The stuff under 'video sources' _is_ program and channel data.

> I don't see the answer there. What I am asking is why doesn't it turn off
> the audio /output/ on the tuner card when I exit. (Not the line input, as
> you seem to be suggesting.)
>
> Granted that it would be hard for me to notice that if I had things set up
> correctly . . .

It would be impossible to notice if you had things setup correctly, since you
would have that input muted.

> > Because the WM doesn't know how to shut it down properly.
>
> Would you mind elaborating on this? If it is the case I'll submit a bug
> to the KDE folks.

Killing off a program through the WM isn't good for any application.

Isaac
Re: No Picture - updates! [ In reply to ]
Isaac Richards said:
> On Sunday 03 August 2003 04:49 pm, Peter Hutnick wrote:
>> I don't understand what one thing has to do with the other. Clearly
>> the fact that I didn't want to remove DB entries is not the reason
>> that the setup utility doesn't mention that it will remove
>> program/channel AND "Video Sources" data.
>
> The stuff under 'video sources' _is_ program and channel data.

Oh. That was totally un-obvious to me. I though that "program and
channel data" was that stuff I spent half an hour downloading. If it is
both, then the connection or relationship is un-obvious to me. Sorry.

> It would be impossible to notice if you had things setup correctly,
> since you would have that input muted.

Are you saying that 1. mythtv just leaves the audio running and 2. it
isn't a bug?

I think it would be cleaner if it turned off the sound on exit. Say, for
instance I want to use motv, I unmute the line in, and there is TV sound
just lurking there.

I mean, just on principle, it seems like a program should leave things as
it finds them.

>> > Because the WM doesn't know how to shut it down properly.
>>
>> Would you mind elaborating on this? If it is the case I'll submit a
>> bug to the KDE folks.
>
> Killing off a program through the WM isn't good for any application.

Huh? I'm talking about the "close" function. The little "X" in the upper
left. It just sends a signal, which, it seems, mythfrontend chooses to
ignore. Am I unusual that I consider that to be bad behavior? Am I doing
something bad by closing a myriad of other apps that way?

Don't take these comments and questions the wrong way. I think that
MythTV is a great app. I am genuinely grateful that you chose to release
your hard work as Free Software. I'm really not trying to call your baby
ugly here. It does do things that strike me odd. I accept that this may
because I'm odd ;-)

Thanks again!

-Peter

Re: No Picture - updates! [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 03 August 2003 05:18 pm, Peter Hutnick wrote:
> > It would be impossible to notice if you had things setup correctly,
> > since you would have that input muted.
>
> Are you saying that 1. mythtv just leaves the audio running and 2. it
> isn't a bug?

Yup.

> I think it would be cleaner if it turned off the sound on exit. Say, for
> instance I want to use motv, I unmute the line in, and there is TV sound
> just lurking there.
>
> I mean, just on principle, it seems like a program should leave things as
> it finds them.

Submit a patch, then.

> >> Would you mind elaborating on this? If it is the case I'll submit a
> >> bug to the KDE folks.
> >
> > Killing off a program through the WM isn't good for any application.
>
> Huh? I'm talking about the "close" function. The little "X" in the upper
> left. It just sends a signal, which, it seems, mythfrontend chooses to
> ignore. Am I unusual that I consider that to be bad behavior? Am I doing
> something bad by closing a myriad of other apps that way?

mythfrontend's borderless in the default mode of operation.

Isaac
Re: No Picture - updates! [ In reply to ]
Isaac Richards said:
> On Sunday 03 August 2003 05:18 pm, Peter Hutnick wrote:

>> Are you saying that 1. mythtv just leaves the audio running and 2. it
>> isn't a bug?
>
> Yup.
>
>> I think it would be cleaner if it turned off the sound on exit. Say,
>> for instance I want to use motv, I unmute the line in, and there is TV
>> sound just lurking there.
>>
>> I mean, just on principle, it seems like a program should leave things
>> as it finds them.
>
> Submit a patch, then.

I'm getting more and more confused. Would you accept such a patch? Is
shutting down audio that you started something that you take to be a
feature that you just don't care to implement?

>> a bug to the KDE folks.
>> >
>> > Killing off a program through the WM isn't good for any application.
>>
>> Huh? I'm talking about the "close" function. The little "X" in the
>> upper left. It just sends a signal, which, it seems, mythfrontend
>> chooses to ignore. Am I unusual that I consider that to be bad
>> behavior? Am I doing something bad by closing a myriad of other apps
>> that way?
>
> mythfrontend's borderless in the default mode of operation.

As it happens I was getting to the feature by mousing down to the bottom
panel (blind) and right clicking on the taskbar representation of the
window. I just thought that would be unwieldy to explain.

That said, It just sends a signal, which, it seems, mythfrontend chooses

Re: No Picture - updates! [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 03 August 2003 09:08 pm, Peter Hutnick wrote:
> I'm getting more and more confused. Would you accept such a patch? Is
> shutting down audio that you started something that you take to be a
> feature that you just don't care to implement?

It's something I care absolutely nothing about. mythtv's the only TV tuner
app that runs on my systems.

> As it happens I was getting to the feature by mousing down to the bottom
> panel (blind) and right clicking on the taskbar representation of the
> window. I just thought that would be unwieldy to explain.
>
> That said, It just sends a signal, which, it seems, mythfrontend chooses
> to ignore. Am I unusual that I consider that to be bad behavior? Am I
> doing something bad by closing a myriad of other apps that way?

If they're not meant to be closed that way, yes.

Isaac
RE: No Picture - updates! [ In reply to ]

You have to realize, though, that Myth uses the tuner card even when you're
not watching anything, for doing scheduled recordings. So even if it did
'turn off' the tuner card sound when done, it would be likely to
'spontaneously' turn it on again (possibly in the middle of the night,
startling you out of your sleep...). The best (only) option is to just
leave the line-in muted. Myth was not really designed to co-exist with
other programs that use the tuner card.

-JAC