Mailing List Archive

Australian tv guide grabbers
I've written a couple of perl guiscapers to suck Australian tv guides
out of the RF ether or off the web, and I thought I would share them
here.

The first, tv_grab_austext, use the v4l command line tools and
alevt-cap to tune to channel 7, and looks up the teletext information
to get the day's tv guide. Pros: no net connection required. Cons:
only that day's guide available, no guide for Channel 9, no program
descriptions.

tvnine builds tv guide information from ninemsn.com.au. Its a better
script, and include partial descriptions for shows, as given on the
site.

Both scripts bypass any 'normal' way of filling the database in mythtv
- no XML, no mythfilldatabase, no more than 100 lines of code, it
doesn't matter how you configure myth to download tvguides. Just run
the script, whenever you like, it will pick up where it left off and
download as much future data as it can find.

An incomplete list of tasks to use these scripts:
. manually populate the channel table
. customise the URL in the script
. change the mythtv database password in the script
. change the channel page mapping in the scipts for austext
. change the map of channel names to channels in tvnine

Enjoy!
,dunc