Mailing List Archive

Mythmusic and RealJukebox
Hey all -

I've been using MythMusic for quite a while and was never able to figure
out why it accepted the id3 tags on most of my mp3 files but not on some
others. It turns out that when I did my original cd-rip from my CDs,
some of them were done with RealJukebox, whose id3 tags mythmusic
apparently does *NOT* like. Here's a sample of a file that it liked,
followed by one that made it into the Unknown/Unknown (and ultimately
unplayable) category:

coruscant# id3info 10\ -\ Saturday\ Night\ and\ Sunday\ Morning.mp3
*** Tag information for 10 - Saturday Night and Sunday Morning.mp3
=== TIT2 (Title/songname/content description): Saturday Night and Sunday
Morn
=== TPE1 (Lead performer(s)/Soloist(s)): Phil Collins
=== TALB (Album/Movie/Show title): But Seriously
=== TRCK (Track number/Position in set): 10
=== TCON (Content type): (17)
*** mp3 info
MPEG1/layer III
Bitrate: 128KBps
Frequency: 44KHz

coruscant# id3info 11\ -\ Father\ To\ Son.mp3
*** Tag information for 11 - Father To Son.mp3
=== GEOB (General encapsulated object): (RealJukebox:Metadata)[]:
binary, 1394 bytes
=== TIT2 (Title/songname/content description): Father To Son
=== TPE1 (Lead performer(s)/Soloist(s)): Phil Collins
=== TALB (Album/Movie/Show title): But Seriously
=== TRCK (Track number/Position in set): 11
=== TCON (Content type): (17)
*** mp3 info
MPEG1/layer III
Bitrate: 48KBps
Frequency: 44KHz

So other than reripping these files (which I've spent most of today
doing, unfortunately) is there any other way around this?

-Ian

--
__________________________________
Ian Forde, RHCE, CCSE, SCNA, SCDME
Re: Mythmusic and RealJukebox [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 29 July 2003 07:12 pm, Ian Forde wrote:
> Hey all -
>
> I've been using MythMusic for quite a while and was never able to figure
> out why it accepted the id3 tags on most of my mp3 files but not on some
> others. It turns out that when I did my original cd-rip from my CDs,
> some of them were done with RealJukebox, whose id3 tags mythmusic
> apparently does *NOT* like. Here's a sample of a file that it liked,
> followed by one that made it into the Unknown/Unknown (and ultimately
> unplayable) category:

Are you trying this with 0.10 or with CVS? I recently (week or so ago) fixed
a bug in the id3 reading code that was causing it to skip some tags.. If it
_is_ with CVS mythmusic, I'll probably need to check out an example track to
be able to fix it.

Isaac
Re: Mythmusic and RealJukebox [ In reply to ]
> So other than reripping these files (which I've spent most of today
> doing, unfortunately) is there any other way around this?

well, you could retag them. http://easytag.sf.net/ is my preferred
lately. If it reads your old tags, you should be able to just open up a
directory, touch the files, and then save.

-Chris

Re: Mythmusic and RealJukebox [ In reply to ]
I wouldn't do that. My experience with realjukebox is that the tags aren't
malformed, but they do do odd things with id3. At least one version put ~
250k .jpg's of the CD covert art in the id3 tags.

I can take a look at this too, but it really does require a sample to see
what realjukebox has done in there.

Re: Mythmusic and RealJukebox [ In reply to ]
I was doing it with 0.10. I guess I'm going to have to go up to cvs and
update everything again... ;(

-I

__________________________________
Re: Mythmusic and RealJukebox [ In reply to ]
> I wouldn't do that. My experience with realjukebox is that the tags aren't
> malformed, but they do do odd things with id3. At least one version put ~
> 250k .jpg's of the CD covert art in the id3 tags.

data content is perfectly acceptable with id3v2

actually, it'd be cool if mythmusic could view art embedded into tags
like this (if it doesn't already). Or for those of us who prefer ogg, a
cover.jpg type thing on the directory containing the music file.

-Chris

Re: Mythmusic and RealJukebox [ In reply to ]
Okay - I just upgraded everything to CVS. Now I can finally play the
tracks that show up in Unknown/Unknown (thanks!), but the problem is
that they still show up in Unknown/Unknown!

So - no - it doesn't work... and it looks like the same
RealJukebox-created files. (Why-oh-why I ever paid for that product a
few years back I'll never know...)

__________________________________
Re: Mythmusic and RealJukebox [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 29 July 2003 09:08 pm, Ian Forde wrote:
> Okay - I just upgraded everything to CVS. Now I can finally play the
> tracks that show up in Unknown/Unknown (thanks!), but the problem is
> that they still show up in Unknown/Unknown!

easytag is your friend.

- thor

RE: Mythmusic and RealJukebox [ In reply to ]
Yes, i know, but the point was that not everybody follows the specs to the
letter, which is relatively obvious at this stage - if myth followed the
specs perfectly, and real followed them perfectly, then this problem
wouldn't happen.

The second point is that it makes more sense to make an effort to support
different content than it does to force people to retag their files. There's
already metadata in there, somewhere - the issue should be fixed (and i
offered to help) instead of worked around.

On your other point, yes, i agree it would be cool to check out cover art.
It'd be cool to have it external to the actual content for all formats -
real's approach to packaging cover art is a waste if you are dealing with
whole albums.

Re: Mythmusic and RealJukebox [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 29 July 2003 09:08 pm, Ian Forde wrote:
> Okay - I just upgraded everything to CVS. Now I can finally play the
> tracks that show up in Unknown/Unknown (thanks!), but the problem is
> that they still show up in Unknown/Unknown!
>
> So - no - it doesn't work... and it looks like the same
> RealJukebox-created files. (Why-oh-why I ever paid for that product a
> few years back I'll never know...)

Did you remove the existing entries in the database and rescan for music?

Isaac
Re: Mythmusic and RealJukebox [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 29 July 2003 07:46 pm, Chris Petersen wrote:
> > I wouldn't do that. My experience with realjukebox is that the tags
> > aren't malformed, but they do do odd things with id3. At least one
> > version put ~ 250k .jpg's of the CD covert art in the id3 tags.
>
> data content is perfectly acceptable with id3v2

One of the bugs that I fixed was that it died on large (> 64kb) tags. =)

> actually, it'd be cool if mythmusic could view art embedded into tags
> like this (if it doesn't already). Or for those of us who prefer ogg, a
> cover.jpg type thing on the directory containing the music file.

Yeah. Should be relatively easy to do, too. A vis 'plugin' that looked for
the image and simply displayed it instead of processing any audio would be
the absolute easiest way, or a separate place on the screen could be created
to show the cover art..

Isaac
Re: Mythmusic and RealJukebox [ In reply to ]
Yep - I did the following:

mysql mythconverg
> show tables;
> drop table musicmetadata;

then ran the portion of metadata.sql in the mythmusic source that only
creates the musicmetadata table.

Fired up mythfrontend, did a rescan, and ... nope.

-I

__________________________________
Re: Mythmusic and RealJukebox [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 29 July 2003 10:30 pm, Ian Forde wrote:
> Yep - I did the following:
>
> mysql mythconverg
>
> > show tables;
> > drop table musicmetadata;
>
> then ran the portion of metadata.sql in the mythmusic source that only
> creates the musicmetadata table.
>
> Fired up mythfrontend, did a rescan, and ... nope.

I'll need an example mp3, then.

Isaac
Re: Mythmusic and RealJukebox [ In reply to ]
Sending privately in a separate message...

-I

__________________________________
Re: Mythmusic and RealJukebox [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 29 July 2003 07:12 pm, Ian Forde wrote:
> Hey all -
>
> I've been using MythMusic for quite a while and was never able to figure
> out why it accepted the id3 tags on most of my mp3 files but not on some
> others. It turns out that when I did my original cd-rip from my CDs,
> some of them were done with RealJukebox, whose id3 tags mythmusic
> apparently does *NOT* like. Here's a sample of a file that it liked,
> followed by one that made it into the Unknown/Unknown (and ultimately
> unplayable) category:

The issue here is that there is an id3v2 tag with one element in it
(RealJukebox's proprietary info stuffed into a GEOB container), with the rest
of the readable information in a id3v1 tag. libid3tag, which mythmusic uses,
sees that a v2 tag exists and ignores the v1 tag. I should have a workaround
in CVS later today for this.

Isaac
Re: Mythmusic and RealJukebox [ In reply to ]
Aha! Thanks for the find! As it turns out, I'm using cantus to mark
all of the "controversial" files, and setting up a couple of rules:

Delete id3v2 tag
Copy id3v1 tag to id3v2 tag

After dropping and re-adding the table, of course... but I've still got
the test file around for testing after!

Thanks!

-Ian