Mailing List Archive

Advice
Just trying to figure out a few things here, first i'm going to give you a
little background because i'm not sure what kind of information you'll need
to help me out. I get digital cable from time warner. I have a scientific
atlanta 2100 cable box, I have a sony KV-32HV600 a pioneer DV-525 dvd
player, and a toshiba vcr. I also have an athlon 800 slackware linux
router, that routes to 2 windows xp machines.

Now this project started because I wanted to build a mp3-box for my living
room, like the one explained in the linux HOWTO archive or the CAJUN/HAJUN
project. But that obviously wasn't complicated enough for me, and I've
progressed, I would like to now make this a mythtv project. The machine
i'm using to build this is an athlon 700, on an asus board with onboard
sound ( can't remember the exact board model but its an old slot-a one, k7v
maybe? its apollo chipset ) Now I could swap the athlon 700 chip with the
athlon 800 chip if that will be better right now my router/server doesn't
have much weight running on it and could run real smooth on 700 as well.
I've read as much as I can on the mailing list archives, but i haven't gone
back more than a month or so, so if anything I state here is answered in
other threads please just link me instead of wasting your time. Here are my
questions.

1. The cheapest tv-out solution I could find would be the chaintech gf2
440mx for around 50$ from newegg. which i've heard mentioned here a few
times. is this card going to produce a decent tv-out signal? and is it
naturally supported by xv?

2. I need to puchase a capture card, It seems that the favorite is the
wintv pvr250 from hauppauge, I am leaning towards a card with onboard
encoding because of the system i'll be using, (read 800mhz athlon at the
fastest) I'm not really concerned with compression. My question is will
the WinTV PVR 250 be a waste of money when the wintv freestyle will do? I
hear its basically the same thing without the remote and such, I don't have
a remote, but i've seen the schematics for building an lirc receiver, and
thats something I could do for alot less than the price difference on the
freestyle/250.

3. I see that most tv tuner cards say "125 channel tuner" now will that be
a problem? I get about 250 channels via digital cable through my time
warner box, but since i'd be switching channels on my time warner box, would
my tv tuner actually need to change channels at all? This is something I
haven't been able to find much information on, but I imagine its a
relatively easy to answer question.

4. I have not yet compiled myth at all, because I don't have the proper
hardware and I didn't want to waste my time trying to set it up now. But
I've noticed that people can split the backend/frontend to different
computers, is there an advantage, disadvantage? (100mb wired network) I
was thinking i'd atleast be able to run mysql on my server to lighten my
load on the myth box. is that possible?

5. I've noticed some people saying they get mpeg2 glitches, or glitchy
playback while using timeshifting via livetv. I'll be buying a new
harddrive from this box. would it make sense to opt for one of the 8mb
cache drives, is that necessary, would it even help? which is quieter,
seagate or wd?

6. Would an athlon 800 running myth tv, with a wintv freestyle and a gf2
produce quality anywhere near as close to the quality i'm getting directly
from my cablebox now? assuming i'm using svideo in from the box, and svideo
back out.

Those are all the questions I can think of now; However if you can think of
anything that I might need to know, or care to know, given my situation
please don't hesitate to reply, as well as if you have any questions about
my setup. Thanks for your help.
-Jon

RE: Advice [ In reply to ]
I would certainly recommend using the Athlon 800, if your server weight is
low. I am running backend and frontend (without MySQL) on a P3 500 with
256MB of RAM.

Otherwise, I can provide responses to a couple of your questions.

1. I had mine running quite reasonably on an old TNT (not even TNT2) card
with S-Video out. I have it currently running on a GeForce 4 with S-Video
out, but, in any case, you should not have a problem. I found with both of
these Nvidia chipsets that, if I booted with the S-Video connected and no
monitor, everything naturally went to the TV, and any attempts I made at
configuring it otherwise only messed things up. But it is fine just with the
defaults, as far as I can tell.

2. I'm using the WinTV PVR 250, too, with a couple of glitches that I have
overcome for the moment. There are a lot of people using that card, and the
ivtv driver project is in active development, so you will find support for
the card _when_ (not if) you run into a problem. The workload that it takes
on more than outweighs the current driver glitches, which, so far, seem
surmountable.

3. Your tuner card will stay on channel 3, most likely, and you'll have to
come up with some way - infrared or serial - to change channels on your
cable box.

4. I have Myth's databases (and web frontend) on my server at home, separate
from the mythbackend. (My mythbackend and mythfrontend are on the same box,
by the way.)

5. I am not experiencing glitches, even when watching a program while
another is being recorded. I have a not-so-brand-new 40GB HD (as /var) for
my video, with the rest of the filesystem and swap on a smaller, separate
drive. Note that the compressed files created by the PVR card not only write
faster, because they are smaller, but they will also read faster, because
they are smaller.

6. As far as quality, I note that the output of my PC to the TV is a a fair
bit less saturated in color, but only in direct comparison to straight TV. I
imagine this might be adjustable, but I haven't been bothered enough to get
around to that.

Good luck,

DAM

Re: Advice [ In reply to ]
Replies are inline below:

> 1. The cheapest tv-out solution I could find would be the chaintech gf2
> 440mx for around 50$ from newegg. which i've heard mentioned here a few
> times. is this card going to produce a decent tv-out signal? and is it
> naturally supported by xv?

All recent Nvidia cards give you good TV-out.

> 4. I have not yet compiled myth at all, because I don't have the proper
> hardware and I didn't want to waste my time trying to set it up now. But
> I've noticed that people can split the backend/frontend to different
> computers, is there an advantage, disadvantage? (100mb wired network) I
> was thinking i'd atleast be able to run mysql on my server to lighten my
> load on the myth box. is that possible?

Yes, there is an obvious advantage to running the frontend and backend on
different computers, since the backend won't have to decode the video on the
fly. I also believe it's possible to put the mysql server on another machine
(on the machine running the backend for sure, but also another PC). I
believe the key to this one resides in the mystical mysql.txt file included
in your /usr/local/share/mythtv directory. (I'm aware you haven't installed
it yet, but search the archives for this one.)

> 5. I've noticed some people saying they get mpeg2 glitches, or glitchy
> playback while using timeshifting via livetv. I'll be buying a new
> harddrive from this box. would it make sense to opt for one of the 8mb
> cache drives, is that necessary, would it even help? which is quieter,
> seagate or wd?

I'm not sure if this would make a difference. I'm going to have to say it's
probably worth it to get a drive with an 8 MB cache... There's no point in
buying old hardware. Oh, and I have a 120 gig Western Digital drive w/ the 8
MB cache running on my main machine, and it's super quiet!

> 6. Would an athlon 800 running myth tv, with a wintv freestyle and a gf2
> produce quality anywhere near as close to the quality i'm getting directly
> from my cablebox now? assuming i'm using svideo in from the box, and
svideo
> back out.

I would reasonable doubt you'd get BETTER video quality.
A find a resolution of 480x480 just about matches my analog cable TV
quality. That's what I run it at.
You may have to try running at a higher resolution to match your digital
cable quality. For this, your Athlon will be able to do it because of your
PVR250 or Freestyle TV tuner. (I'm running an Athlon XP2000+... I can record
two shows at once with non hardware mpeg2 tuners.)

I hope you're able to work with your configuration to successfully create a
useable and enjoyable MythTV box.

Albert Santoni

Re: Advice [ In reply to ]
> > 1. The cheapest tv-out solution I could find would be the chaintech gf2
> > 440mx for around 50$ from newegg. which i've heard mentioned here a few
> > times. is this card going to produce a decent tv-out signal? and is it
> > naturally supported by xv?
>
> All recent Nvidia cards give you good TV-out.

Also, don't discount a scan convertor. I got one on ebay for $30-40. Its
marvelous. Gives me total control over scaling and overscan--no need to
fuss with drivers. It has on screen display for configuration of all of the
options--very simple to get right. Also, the quality of a good scan
converter is most likely better than the quality of the average video card
TV-out. For MythTV, I'm not sure how much this matters (as its made to show
on a TV anyway)--however, you might like it better for seeing smaller text.
-dane

Re: Advice [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday, Albert Santoni wrote:

>> 1. The cheapest tv-out solution I could find would be the chaintech
>> gf2
>> 440mx for around 50$ from newegg. which i've heard mentioned here a
>> few
>> times. is this card going to produce a decent tv-out signal? and is it
>> naturally supported by xv?
>
> All recent Nvidia cards give you good TV-out.

Not quite so. I had a cheap Jaton GF4MX that produced some very
noticeable moire patterns when outputting video via S-Video to my HDTV.
I replaced it with a Chaintech GF4MX, and problem gone.

>> 5. I've noticed some people saying they get mpeg2 glitches, or
>> glitchy
>> playback while using timeshifting via livetv. I'll be buying a new
>> harddrive from this box. would it make sense to opt for one of the
>> 8mb
>> cache drives, is that necessary, would it even help? which is
>> quieter,
>> seagate or wd?
>
> I'm not sure if this would make a difference. I'm going to have to say
> it's
> probably worth it to get a drive with an 8 MB cache... There's no
> point in
> buying old hardware. Oh, and I have a 120 gig Western Digital drive w/
> the 8
> MB cache running on my main machine, and it's super quiet!

That wouldn't really make much sense for a separate frontend. The
frontend needs hardly any drive capacity, very little HD throughput,
etc. Though if you run both frontend and backend on the same machine, a
8MB cache drive certainly wouldn't hurt. Not a bad option for the
backend alone either, but I wouldn't waste the money for such a drive
in a frontend-only machine.

>> 6. Would an athlon 800 running myth tv, with a wintv freestyle and a
>> gf2
>> produce quality anywhere near as close to the quality i'm getting
>> directly
>> from my cablebox now? assuming i'm using svideo in from the box, and
> svideo
>> back out.
>
> I would reasonable doubt you'd get BETTER video quality.
> A find a resolution of 480x480 just about matches my analog cable TV
> quality. That's what I run it at.
> You may have to try running at a higher resolution to match your
> digital
> cable quality. For this, your Athlon will be able to do it because of
> your
> PVR250 or Freestyle TV tuner. (I'm running an Athlon XP2000+... I can
> record
> two shows at once with non hardware mpeg2 tuners.)

I actually get better/cleaner video running through MythTV to my HDTV
than I do directly from my digital cable box, using a PVR-250 with the
capture settings at their highest. My system uses an Athlon XP 1700 and
runs both frontend and backend, but I have a spare Athlon 800 laying
around that I was about to try setting up as a frontend-only...

> I hope you're able to work with your configuration to successfully
> create a
> useable and enjoyable MythTV box

Me too!

-jcw
RE: Re: Advice [ In reply to ]
I actually ran into a nasty moiré pattern when I finally hooked up
S-Video last night instead of composite(I'm running a Verto GF4). Anyway
setting the VideoStandard(or something like that) option in my
XF86Config to SVIDEO and rebooting did away with it totally. Not sure if
it's the same thing you ran into, but thought I'd mention it. S-Video
looks much nicer.

Jason Schloer

Re: Advice [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2003-07-28 at 22:56, Dane Kantner wrote:
> > > 1. The cheapest tv-out solution I could find would be the chaintech gf2
> > > 440mx for around 50$ from newegg. which i've heard mentioned here a few
> > > times. is this card going to produce a decent tv-out signal? and is it
> > > naturally supported by xv?
> >
> > All recent Nvidia cards give you good TV-out.
> >
> Also, don't discount a scan convertor. I got one on ebay for $30-40. Its
> marvelous. Gives me total control over scaling and overscan--no need to
> fuss with drivers. It has on screen display for configuration of all of the
> options--very simple to get right. Also, the quality of a good scan
> converter is most likely better than the quality of the average video card
> TV-out. For MythTV, I'm not sure how much this matters (as its made to show
> on a TV anyway)--however, you might like it better for seeing smaller text.
> -dane

I bought an AverKey Lite and two other AverKey scan converters of the
same model. (Sorry, I'm forgetting which.) I found the output of both
models to be disgusting. The TV-Out on the GeForce4 Ti4200 or GeForce2
GTS cards I tried to superior in every way.

Ideally you'd buy a converter and a card with TV-out from someplace that
accepts returns readily, and then you could compare yourself. I'm stuck
with Best Buy myself (it being the only real computer store within easy
driving distance) and they didn't sell scan converters. In fact, in
typical Best Buy fashion, when they don't know something they just lie.
The sales guy told me that there was no such thing as a scan converter.
(But I'm just ranting now.)

Aran

PS: I like the output from my GeForce cards, they're not simply better
than the scan converters I had, they're actually quite good.
Re: Advice [ In reply to ]
BTW, has anyone played with VGA/DVI to 1080i component converters?
Any of them produce significant improvement in quality?

-M

Re: Advice [ In reply to ]
Hey guys thanks for all the great answers. I feel much more confident in
the direction I'm going, but of course with this wealth of new info I have
more questions.
First I've read further back into the archives and have noticed that many
people trying to use both an IR transmitter (read: blaster) and IR receiver
via serial ports is extremely difficult if not impossible to setup in lirc.
Now this was my plan of attack. What i'm wondering is who has gotten this
to work, or who hasn't what I'm also wondering is what kind of setups you
guys without serial cables to your cable boxes have. I don't really want to
use a wireless keyboard because I think that will be too complicated for my
fiance and too large for my coffee table. Would it be easier to set up a
reciever and transmitter if I they werent' both serial? I've heard mixed
messages on the hauppauge wintv pvr250 built in remote, that the receiver
isn't very good and what not, can anyone elaborate on this a little more?
does it use the lirc_serial module? Would it be easier if I had a
transmitter/reciever that didn't use the same lirc module?(lirc_serial)
I've seen schematics for a receiver that plugs into a sound jack, would that
be better, does that use lirc_serial? Also the board i'll be using is a
Asus K7V, which has a built in IrDA port, is this something usable? I found
this page http://tuxmobil.org/ir_misc.html that says its supported under
lirc using this dongle http://www.actisys.com/act210.html is this something
that anyone has experience with? Would I be able to use this at all?
Thanks again for all your answers.
-Jon

RE: Advice [ In reply to ]
G'day All,

I'm using a serial IR jigger I built from the info on the lirc web site with no problems at all.
Both the receiver and the transmitter are attached to the same serial port and work perfectly for me.
I did have some issues with learning the remote codes due to extra IR noise in my lounge room, and had to attach the thing to a box in my machine room (or wait until dark), but other than that everything is working perfectly.

Daniel

Re: Advice [ In reply to ]
Quoting Jon <jgregor@hotpop.com>:
> I don't really want to
> use a wireless keyboard because I think that will be too complicated for my
> fiance and too large for my coffee table.

I'm not sure what kind of remote your using or planning to use, but you
can use a learning remote (pronto in my case) to learn the essential
keys and go that route. Then the keyboard can be stored under the couch.

Very simple and easy.

Good luck,
-lee
Re: Advice [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday, Jason Schloer wrote:

> I actually ran into a nasty moiré pattern when I finally hooked up
> S-Video last night instead of composite(I'm running a Verto GF4).
> Anyway
> setting the VideoStandard(or something like that) option in my
> XF86Config to SVIDEO and rebooting did away with it totally. Not sure
> if
> it's the same thing you ran into, but thought I'd mention it. S-Video
> looks much nicer.

Well, I actually WAS using S-Video with the Jaton card, and I've also
got the video standard set to SVIDEO in XF86Config. Simply swapping out
the Jaton card for a Chaintech card made the moire pattern go away.

-jcw

Re: Advice [ In reply to ]
> I've heard mixed
> messages on the hauppauge wintv pvr250 built in remote, that the receiver
> isn't very good and what not, can anyone elaborate on this a little more?
> does it use the lirc_serial module?

The PVR-250 IR receiver connects directly to the PVR card, not the
serial port. It uses lirc_i2c.
Re: Advice [ In reply to ]
Great, I noticed my Circuit City still has the pvr-250 on sale for 99$, so
I was going to pick one up, I was just wondering if anyone has a successful
setup with an IR blaster ( homebrew serial, lirc_serial ) and a pvr250
remote ( lirc_i2c ) at the same time. Also any complaints about the pvr250
remote? I remember hearing complaints but I can't find the thread anymore.
-Jon

Re: Advice [ In reply to ]
> Also any complaints about the pvr250 remote?
> I remember hearing complaints but I can't find the thread anymore.

The PVR-250 remote works very well. But you must compile the lirc from CVS
0.6.6 will not do. I suspect the complaints you remember hearing were all
lirc-0.6.6 users.

James S. White GAPS Incorporated
james@jameswhite.org Electrical Engineer - Etc.
http://www.jameswhite.org Caffeine is my anti-drug.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.
And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.
-Jack Handy