Mailing List Archive

PV-BT878P and DC10+
I have recently built myself a neat new PIII-800 based mythTV box.
Configuration summary as follows:

TV card is a PV-BT878P which is a simple Phillips compatible tuner with
a connexant BT878. I am using the bttv drivers from bytesex.org for this
card.

I also have a Miro DC10+ which is a hardware MJPEG card for which I am
using the unified Zoran driver and mjpeg-tools.

I have a Creative Live Platinum 5.1 card for sound which I am running
under ALSA.

lirc is happily up and running.

I have a few minor problems which I am hoping someone may be able to
help me with.

1. Infra-red Remote problem...

After I watch a video (from my not very substantial divx collection), I
lose the ability to control my MythTV box from the infra-red controller.
I have a good idea why this is happening. MPlayer is launched in a new
window, and once this window closes focus is not correctly returned to
the mythtv window. I can work around it by pressing alt-tab twice on the
keyboard, but if I do not do this, irxevent will keep on trying to send
IR keyboard events to the wrong window. This is only a minor irritation,
but it would be nice to know how to get around this one.

2. TV Tuner problem.

As I said, tuner and TV card work a treat, but recording TV is not so
great. Processor capacity is not up to much and the AV synch lag is a
thing to behold. I have therefore hacked my BT878 card and connected the
output of my tuner to the input of the Zoran MJPEG card. I can now watch
two xawtv sessions with the same TV picture... Woo Hoo.

What I am pretty sure I really want to do though, is this:

a) send TV tuning IOCTLS to /dev/video0
b) watch and record /dev/video1 and associated audio line input.

I thought there may be a way to do this using some of the existing
MYthTV functionality, but I am a bit of a newbie at this game and
probably need a nudge in the right direction.

Unfortunately, I appear unable to tune the bttv card and watch the Zoran
card at the same time.

Any nudging in the right direction will be gratefully received.

regards

Mark Edwards.
Re: PV-BT878P and DC10+ [ In reply to ]
I have the same problem after watching a video. I no longer have control of
the system via the remote. And it's a major problem because I no longer
have a keyboard hooked to the computer. Does anyone have a workaround to
the problem?

Thanks,
Ang

Re: PV-BT878P and DC10+ [ In reply to ]
Ang-

many thanks for your assistance with this - I am using Bluecurve/Gnome
at the moment on my convergence box but it appears to have a very
similar configuration feature to the KDE one you mentioned.I'll give it
a go...

I now have to figure out how to record via my MJPEG card without hacking
the Zoran driver...

Mark