on newegg or other sites, Im thinking of making it my second tuner. Has
anyone tried it to verify that it does or doesnt work?

--Tom
Re: Hauppauge Freestyle [ In reply to ]
Thus spake Tom Howard:
> According to ivtv, the Freestyle should be compatible with its drivers
> just as the PVR ?50's are. Considering you can get a freestyle for ~$90
> on newegg or other sites, Im thinking of making it my second tuner. Has
> anyone tried it to verify that it does or doesnt work?

If that's the card I believe it is, it should work. Someone had posted a
link to http://www.z-buy.com/product.asp?item=VG-WINTVPP2 in the past
couple of weeks. A co-worker bought one of those, thinking it was a
PVR-250, and was too late to cancel the order. He went ahead and
ordered a 250, but we decided to try out the other card anyway... I
installed it this afternoon, and it's been working great so far.

The only gotcha I've found so far was that I had to use
test_ioctl -v input=3,output=1
to get the sound to work...I'd seen some mentions on the ivtv list of
using the standard=0x21 option to msp3400 to get it to properly detect
the audio standard, but that didn't seem to work for me.

00:09.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC15
MPEG-2 Encoder (rev 01)
Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc.: Unknown device 4801
Memory at e0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]

Linux video capture interface: v1.00
ivtv: Found an unknown chip, treating it like an iTVC15
i2c-core.o: client [EEPROM chip] registered to adapter [ivtv i2c driver #0](pos. 0).
i2c-core.o: client [EEPROM chip] registered to adapter [ivtv i2c driver #0](pos. 1).
i2c-core.o: client [EEPROM chip] registered to adapter [ivtv i2c driver #0](pos. 2).
i2c-core.o: client [EEPROM chip] registered to adapter [ivtv i2c driver #0](pos. 3).
i2c-core.o: client [EEPROM chip] registered to adapter [ivtv i2c driver #0](pos. 4).
i2c-core.o: client [EEPROM chip] registered to adapter [ivtv i2c driver #0](pos. 5).
i2c-core.o: client [EEPROM chip] registered to adapter [ivtv i2c driver #0](pos. 6).
i2c-core.o: client [EEPROM chip] registered to adapter [ivtv i2c driver #0](pos. 7).
i2c-core.o: adapter ivtv i2c driver #0 registered as adapter 2.
ivtv: Encoder revision: 0x02030207
ivtv: Decoder revision: 0x02020001
ivtv: i2c client addr: 97 not found!
ivtv: i2c client addr: 97 not found!
ivtv: i2c client addr: 64 not found!
ivtv: Registered v4l2 device, minor 0
ivtv: Registered v4l2 device, minor 32
ivtv: Registered v4l2 device, minor 224
i2c-core.o: driver i2c TV tuner driver registered.
tuner: chip found @ 0xc2
tuner(bttv): type forced to 2 (Philips NTSC (FI1236,FM1236 and compatibles)) [insmod]
i2c-core.o: client [Philips NTSC (FI1236,FM1236 and] registered to adapter [ivtv i2c driver #0](pos. 8).
i2c-core.o: driver saa7115 registered.
saa7114.c: starting probe for adapter SMBus Via Pro adapter at 5000 (0x40002)
saa7114.c: starting probe for adapter ISA main adapter (0x50000)
saa7114.c: starting probe for adapter ivtv i2c driver #0 (0x10005)
saa7114.c: detecting saa7114 client on address 0x42
saa7115.c: writing init values
status: (1E) 0x89, (1F) 0xb1
i2c-core.o: client [saa7115[0]] registered to adapter [ivtv i2c driver #0](pos. 9).
i2c-core.o: driver i2c msp3400 driver registered.
msp34xx: init: chip=MSP3448W-A2, has NICAM support
msp3410: daemon started
i2c-core.o: client [MSP3448W-A2] registered to adapter [ivtv i2c driver #0](pos. 10).

--
Nathan Poznick <poznick@conwaycorp.net>

Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you mad. - Aldous
Huxley
Re: Hauppauge Freestyle [ In reply to ]
At 10:18 PM 7/25/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>--===============1950653980==
>
>According to ivtv, the Freestyle should be compatible with its drivers
>just as the PVR ?50's are. Considering you can get a freestyle for ~$90
>on newegg or other sites, Im thinking of making it my second tuner. Has
>anyone tried it to verify that it does or doesnt work?

Works just fine.

-WD
RE:Hauppauge Freestyle [ In reply to ]
Good to hear! Thanks for the info Nathan. It looks like Im going to save
$60 by using the freestyle instead of the PVR-250.

Tom

Re: RE:Hauppauge Freestyle [ In reply to ]
Does the freestyle come with a remote control?

--
Brian

--
Brian Hayward
RE:Hauppauge Freestyle [ In reply to ]
Not that I have seen. But you can buy a good remote on the cheap.

--Tom

Re: RE:Hauppauge Freestyle [ In reply to ]
Thus spake hayward@slothmud.org:

> Does the freestyle come with a remote control?

Nope. The one I have now was just the board in a static bag.

--
Nathan Poznick <poznick@conwaycorp.net>

Forbid a man to think for himself or to act for himself and you may add
the joy of piracy and the zest of smuggling to his life. - Elbert
Hubbard
Re: RE:Hauppauge Freestyle [ In reply to ]
Not the one mentioned in Nathan's email link. It comes as a bare card in
a static bag, no docs, software, or remote. Still, for $90 with shipping
that is a lot cheaper than the retail version of the 250 with the
remote.

Re: RE:Hauppauge Freestyle [ In reply to ]
> > >Good to hear! Thanks for the info Nathan. It looks like Im going to save
> > >$60 by using the freestyle instead of the PVR-250.

There is a 30$ rebate going on for PVR-250 in www.outpost.com. So u only
save 30$ and u dont; get a remote too. Go for a 250 ! ;)
RE:Hauppauge Freestyle [ In reply to ]
Tempting as that may be, I am using my Radio Shack 15-1994 remote. It is
JP1 so the programing on it is easy and simply amazing.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/ <-- info on jp1
http://www.remotecentral.com/ureview/index.html <-- good site for remote
reviews. Although the 15-1994 may not be the 'sexiest' looking remote,
it fits well in my hand, and is simple to use, plus the endless ways I
can modify the buttons makes it even better. Im very glad I spent $20 on
this thing a few years back. I guess the jist of this is to say that I
think I will stick with the freestyle since I dont need a remote ;)
Also, I hate mail-in rebates

--Tom

Re: RE:Hauppauge Freestyle [ In reply to ]
Can anyone recommend a good remote+receiver to use with Myth-TV if I go
this route?

thx,
britt

On Sat, 2003-07-26 at 13:42, Dr. Doug L. Hoffman wrote:
> Not the one mentioned in Nathan's email link. It comes as a bare card in
> a static bag, no docs, software, or remote. Still, for $90 with shipping
> that is a lot cheaper than the retail version of the 250 with the
> remote.
>
> On Sat, 2003-07-26 at 11:58, hayward@slothmud.org wrote:
> > Does the freestyle come with a remote control?
> >
> > --
> > Brian
> >

> > >Good to hear! Thanks for the info Nathan. It looks like Im going to save
> > >$60 by using the freestyle instead of the PVR-250.
> > >
> > >Tom

> ----

I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, beg you to lead a life worthy of
the
calling to which you have been called, with all lowliness and meekness,
with
patience, forbearing one another in love, eager to maintain the unity of
the
Spirit in the bond of peace. Eph 4:1-3
Re: RE:Hauppauge Freestyle [ In reply to ]
A homebrew IR receiver, go to www.lirc.org, here's the specific link to the
schematic itself, http://www.lirc.org/images/schematics.gif Very simple to
build, you can find all the compatible parts at Radio Shack. Any remote
will work, because you can program receiver. I use the Sony RM-VL1000.

Ang

Re: RE:Hauppauge Freestyle [ In reply to ]
Thus spake Britt Ethan Houser:
> Can anyone recommend a good remote+receiver to use with Myth-TV if I go
> this route?

I ended up building a serial lirc receiver from parts I got at radio
shack (soldering required, but I'm pretty bad at it and still managed to
get it together and working). I can provide the list of radioshack part
numbers and a link to the instructions, if anyone wants them. I'm just
using the remote from my old magnavox vcr (since my universal remote
didn't seem to want to play completely nice for some reason).

--
Nathan Poznick <poznick@conwaycorp.net>

Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being
governed by those who are dumber. -- Plato
Re: RE:Hauppauge Freestyle [ In reply to ]
I would like the list of part numbers, if you don't mind.

thanks,
larry

Re: RE:Hauppauge Freestyle [ In reply to ]
Thus spake Larry Owen:
> I would like the list of part numbers, if you don't mind.

IR receiver (38 kHz) - 276-640
Regulator - 276-1770
4.7 muF capacitor - 272-1024
1N914 diode - 276-1122
4.7k resistor - 271-1330
9-pin dsub female connector - 276-1538

This last one is what's listed, but it didn't have enough room inside
to fit the assembly...so you'll likely want to look around to find a
roomier hood to put this inside of.

9-pin hood - 276-1508

I followed the instructions at:

http://lnx.manoweb.com/lirc/

--
Nathan Poznick <poznick@conwaycorp.net>

A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer.
Re: RE:Hauppauge Freestyle [ In reply to ]
On Sunday, July 27, 2003, at 05:31 PM, Nathan Poznick wrote:

> Thus spake Larry Owen:
>> I would like the list of part numbers, if you don't mind.
>
> IR receiver (38 kHz) - 276-640
> Regulator - 276-1770
> 4.7 muF capacitor - 272-1024
> 1N914 diode - 276-1122
> 4.7k resistor - 271-1330
> 9-pin dsub female connector - 276-1538
>
> This last one is what's listed, but it didn't have enough room inside
> to fit the assembly...so you'll likely want to look around to find a
> roomier hood to put this inside of.
>
> 9-pin hood - 276-1508
>
> I followed the instructions at:
>
> http://lnx.manoweb.com/lirc/

I also built my own. It went very well, worked the first time, and I'm
glad I did it. Here I wrote a bit more about it which might help you a
bit.
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/mailarc/
gforum.cgi?post=51309;search_string=Radio%20Shack;guest=894294&t=search_
engine#51309

However, you might want to buy it from the Alesan, the woman who wrote
the tutorial Nathan referenced above. She only charges $14 including
shipping to the US, which is not much more than I paid in parts.

best,
Cedar
Re: RE:Hauppauge Freestyle [ In reply to ]
Thus spake Cedar McKay:
> However, you might want to buy it from the Alesan, the woman who wrote
> the tutorial Nathan referenced above. She only charges $14 including
> shipping to the US, which is not much more than I paid in parts.

Agreed, I built it mainly to see if I could :-) If I needed another
one, I'd likely buy it pre-built.

--
Nathan Poznick <poznick@conwaycorp.net>

"Love and doubt have never been on speaking terms." --Kahlil Gibran