Mailing List Archive

MythTV: Sound issues.
Ok, I'm new, and have, up to now managed, not to send a message.
Bringing you up to speed...
<Bring Up to speed>
1) Started w/ Mandrake 9.1 RPMs
2) Found out they were lacking, removed them...(where is that ./setup)
3) Installed from source using the 62 page install guide.
(That is a GOOD guide. Installed EZ)
4) Get backend filled, all that fun stuff, run into a few gliches,
nothing fatle. (Why am I seeing the Malvern Channel line up, I said
Coatsville)
</Bring Up to speed>

Ok, then I go to run MythTV.
1) Start backend Can't get port 6543
2) Start backend Again OK
3) Start frontend: sound device open ?!?
4) Read mailing list arcives, OK
5) check /dev/dsp/ -> arts running -> KILL arts
6) sound still works, start mythfrontend -> OK, wait no sound ?!?
7) re-boot, ok MythTV dosn't work, try disabling ARTS
8) re-boot, no sound ?!? Device in use ?!? Current use device -> NOTHING
9) re-enable ARTS, everything but MythTV works.

Tall & Short
ARTS -> Eveything works except MythTV
NO ARTS -> nothing works

The Question:
1) Is there a way for MythTV to play nice with ARTS, or am I SOL?
2) Is there a process that '/sbin/fuser -av /dev/dsp' wouldn't tell me
about?

System Specs:
AMD 1800+
Dual boot Mandrake 9.1 & Win2000 (Please may I give up Widnows)
ATI Raden VE
WinTV2go (BT878)(the same stupid TV card)
SiS Chipset
SiS Intigrated Sound (SiS 7012)

Thanks,
Matt
Re: MythTV: Sound issues. [ In reply to ]
If your card supports it, tell arts to use /dev/dsp1 instead of /dev/dsp.
That way MythTV can access /dev/dsp and arts can also be running for your
other programs. This works on an es1370 card for me.

William

> Ok, I'm new, and have, up to now managed, not to send a message.
> Bringing you up to speed...
> <Bring Up to speed>
> 1) Started w/ Mandrake 9.1 RPMs
> 2) Found out they were lacking, removed them...(where is that ./setup)
> 3) Installed from source using the 62 page install guide.
> (That is a GOOD guide. Installed EZ)
> 4) Get backend filled, all that fun stuff, run into a few gliches,
> nothing fatle. (Why am I seeing the Malvern Channel line up, I said
> Coatsville)
> </Bring Up to speed>
>
> Ok, then I go to run MythTV.
> 1) Start backend Can't get port 6543
> 2) Start backend Again OK
> 3) Start frontend: sound device open ?!?
> 4) Read mailing list arcives, OK
> 5) check /dev/dsp/ -> arts running -> KILL arts
> 6) sound still works, start mythfrontend -> OK, wait no sound ?!?
> 7) re-boot, ok MythTV dosn't work, try disabling ARTS
> 8) re-boot, no sound ?!? Device in use ?!? Current use device -> NOTHING
> 9) re-enable ARTS, everything but MythTV works.
>

> Tall & Short
> ARTS -> Eveything works except MythTV
> NO ARTS -> nothing works
>
> The Question:
> 1) Is there a way for MythTV to play nice with ARTS, or am I SOL?
> 2) Is there a process that '/sbin/fuser -av /dev/dsp' wouldn't tell me
> about?
>
> System Specs:
> AMD 1800+
> Dual boot Mandrake 9.1 & Win2000 (Please may I give up Widnows)
> ATI Raden VE
> WinTV2go (BT878)(the same stupid TV card)
> SiS Chipset
> SiS Intigrated Sound (SiS 7012)
>
> Thanks,
> Matt

---

Re: MythTV: Sound issues. [ In reply to ]
Well, I tried that, here is what happened: sound stops.
It appers that I can only get sound on whatever dev. that ARTS has,
for lack of a better word, "Blessed".
If I have ARTS on /dev/dsp or /dsp/sound/dsp then I have sound,
sound will continue if I move ARTS, but if I start with ARTS on somthing
other then /dev/dsp or /dev/sound/dsp I will have no sound till /dev/dsp
or /dev/sound/dsp has been "blessed" with ARTS pressence.
/dev/dsp = /dev/sound/dsp
This sounds like I have a weird driver issue. Right now I am running
ALSA 0.9.0rc8, I'm going to try going to 0.9.5 and see if that helps.
If not, I can always replace the sound card...
Matt

Re: MythTV: Sound issues. [ In reply to ]
I get around this by using two sound cards, one for mythtv and another
for the rest of the multimedia programs.

Re: MythTV: Sound issues. [ In reply to ]
Well I managed to get around this by re-loading and not installing KDE.
(I'm a GNome head)
only problem is tha it now, just won't install. I don't know why. It
dosn't like the QTDIR data, even though it is there.
I dono.

Re: MythTV: Sound issues. [ In reply to ]
I Take it all back. Reminde me to than Mandrake for finding new FUN
ways NOT to install my dependancys. :~p
(It didn't install the QT3 source)

Re: MythTV: Sound issues. [ In reply to ]
Do you find this a better solution than using btaudio?

--
Harondel J. Sibble
Sibble Computer Consulting