Mailing List Archive

dual tuners - one no sound when concurrent recordings
Okay trying to troubleshoot a couple problems with my setup. I have dual
tuners, Aver TVPhone (bt848) and Ati TV Wonder (bt878).

The audio from the Aver card goes to the line in on my SB Live sound card,
while I use btaudio with the ATI card. When recording 2 shows concurrently, I
notice that audio only shows up on one show. Is there anyway to definitively
figure out which card is not recording the audio with the video stream?

Also the show that has no audio tends to be very slightly jerky which I hope
will be fixed by the upgrades below.

Also with the btaudio, it doesn't load automatically one bootup for some
reason (I remember having this problem before...). What I do now is after
login, I shutdown mythbackend, modprove btaudio, then restart mythbackend.
Any suggestions on why it's not automatically loading? See modules.conf
below.

Also any suggestions on changes to the modules.conf to have the btaudio show
up as a mixer device in kmix? I know I had that working at one point last
year also....

Lastly, planning an upgrade, currently running on a VIA KT133a motherboard
with an Athlon XP1800+, if the choice is one of the following 2, which do you
folks recommend for better performance.

1) Upgrade processor to and XP2600+
2) Upgrade to an NForce based motherboard and keep XP1800+ processor.

alias usb-interface usb-uhci
###alias sound-slot-0 emu10k1
###alias sound-slot-1 via82cxxx_audio

###alsa stuff - added jul21-03###
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
alias snd-card-1 snd-via82xx
# module options should go here

# OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1

# card #1
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss

####via alsa drivers
# ALSA portion
###alias char-major-116 snd
###alias snd-card-1 snd-via82xx
# module options should go here

# OSS/Free portion
###alias char-major-14 soundcore
###alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1

# card #2
alias sound-service-1-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-1-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-1-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-1-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-1-12 snd-pcm-oss

##################################

probeall scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx
alias eth0 tulip
alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx

#### LIRC settings for packard bell serial remote
alias char-major-61 lirc_serial
options lirc_serial irq=3 io=0x2f8

### LIRC settings for Avermedia TVPhone remote control
#alias char-major-61 lirc_gpio
#options lirc_gpio gpio_mask=0xf88000 gpio_lock_mask=0x10000
#gpio_xor_mask=0x

## I2c
alias char-major-89 i2c-dev
options i2c-core i2c_debug=1
options i2c-algo-bit bit_test=1

## Video
alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 bttv debug=2
options bttv card=6,63 radio=1,0 tuner=2,8 #pll=1
options tuner debug=2
pre-install bttv(/sbin/modprobe -k "tuner")
options btaudio debug=2
#alias sound-service-1 via82cxxx_audio
alias sound-card-2 btaudio
alias sound-slot-2 btaudio

### Video card drivers
alias /dev/nvidia* NVdriver

--
Harondel J. Sibble
Sibble Computer Consulting
Re: dual tuners - one no sound when concurrent recordings [ In reply to ]
If you can figure out which module is loaded first, you can figure out
which dsp devices are assigned to which sound module. If you dont have
"pre-install" options in your modules.conf, its pretty much whichever
device gets called first will load whichever module. This is not good,
as you need to know exactly what dsp device should be attached to what
video device (since you set this at myth setup).

For example if you want sb live to have dsp0 and dsp1 (sblive 5.1 takes
two dsp devices, if that is what you have), and then btaudio to have
dsp2 and dsp3 (it takes two as well) then add this to modules.conf:

pre-install btaudio modprobe emu10k1

Now when you run modprobe btaudio, it will load emu10k1 first.
You can then just run modprobe btaudio in /etc/rc.d/rc.local

I dont know exactly how this will work with ALSA as I havent tried it
there yet. I have an OSS SBLive 5.1 setup with Cmedia onboard sound and
btaudio and this is how I make sure that devices are assigned in the way
I expect them to be. I found by experience that simply assigning
devices to sound-slot in the order I want does not work.

Re: dual tuners - one no sound when concurrent recordings [ In reply to ]
On 23 Jul 2003 at 20:28, cmisip wrote:

> If you can figure out which module is loaded first, you can figure out
> which dsp devices are assigned to which sound module. If you dont have

That's easy enough, dsp3 and 4 (analog and digital) are assigned to btaudio,
if I modprobe it after bootup. The rest to the other 2 sound cards.

If I follow your suggestions, btaudio ends up with dsp2 and 3 (digital and
analog)

> Now when you run modprobe btaudio, it will load emu10k1 first.
> You can then just run modprobe btaudio in /etc/rc.d/rc.local

Doesn't make any difference in my setup :-(
Re: dual tuners - one no sound when concurrent recordings [ In reply to ]
> If I follow your suggestions, btaudio ends up with dsp2 and 3 (digital and
> analog)

That was just an example. If you want emu10k1 to load before
via82cxxx-audio before btaudio you need two lines:
pre-install via82cxx-audio modprobe emu10k1
pre-install btaudio modprobe via82cxx-audio

This will give sblive dsp0 and dsp1
via82cxx-audio gets dsp2
btaudio gets dsp3 and dsp4

I have another machine with vh6II mobo with the via onboard sound. When
I use it to playback mythtv video, the sound comes out "chipmunk' style
or high speed. I think it only does 48000 while btaudio is locked in
at 32000.

I also notice that sometimes modules.conf will not complain about some
errors during boot. Have you tried testing it without rebooting. I had
to do a series of depmod -a and modprobes to finally get the correct
module loading.

Re: dual tuners - one no sound when concurrent recordings [ In reply to ]
On 24 Jul 2003 at 16:18, cmisip wrote:

> That was just an example. If you want emu10k1 to load before
> via82cxxx-audio before btaudio you need two lines:
> pre-install via82cxx-audio modprobe emu10k1
> pre-install btaudio modprobe via82cxx-audio

Ahh, will give that a try....

> I also notice that sometimes modules.conf will not complain about some
> errors during boot. Have you tried testing it without rebooting. I had
> to do a series of depmod -a and modprobes to finally get the correct
> module loading.

Yes, have tried it without rebooting, no joy.

Anyways, here is where I am at now. I can have a recording of one show going
and then can startup livetv with another show.

Both recording streams get audio, however the live tv tends to get choppy
both with audio and video with pauses every 10-20 seconds or so. Looking at
the term window I started mythfrontend from, I first see rebuffering a few
times, then after a minute or some, I see audio buffer overflowed, audio data
lost. If I then shut down live tv and later on watch the first recorded
video, it's av are out of sync until the around the time I stopped watching
live tv on the second tuner. I am sure part of this is processor (and
motherboard) related as I only have an XP1800+ on a VIA KT133a board and I
have both tuners set to use MPEG4.

I also tried using the aggressive soundcard buffering feature but that made
no difference.

Also, while I had one stream being recorded in MPEG4, I switched the second
to RTJPEG and then went to live tv, same problems as before but different
errors this time

Your soundcard is not reporting freespace correctly.
Falling back to old method....

Re: dual tuners - one no sound when concurrent recordings [ In reply to ]
have you tried reducing the bitrate and resolution just to check if
maybe the settings are just too high for your processor?