DirectTV) possible using a serial interface or infared, and get directtv
listings in the program guide? I would really like to use DirectTv with
it, but will concede to use cable service if necessary. Tivo does this
but don't know if its possible to do through the MythTV. I am currently
building the box (waiting on vid card) so am a bit of a newbie but
didn't see anything listed in documentation on it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Toby
Re: Has anyone figured out a way to change channels to an external box (like DirectTV) and get directtv listings in the program guide? [ In reply to ]
I get DirecTV listing no problem.. When I set up MythTV, I entered my
zip code and DirecTV was the option I chose.

As for changing channels, I still do not have that implemented. I am
guessing an IR blaster or similar device will work for that...

Brent

Re: Has anyone figured out a way to change channels to an external box (like DirectTV) and get directtv listings in the program guide? [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 22 July 2003 01:46 pm, Toby Koenig wrote:
> Has anyone figured out a way to change channels to an external box (like
> DirectTV) possible using a serial interface or infared, and get directtv
> listings in the program guide? I would really like to use DirectTv with
> it, but will concede to use cable service if necessary. Tivo does this
> but don't know if its possible to do through the MythTV. I am currently
> building the box (waiting on vid card) so am a bit of a newbie but
> didn't see anything listed in documentation on it.

Isaac
Re: Has anyone figured out a way to change channels to an external box (like DirectTV) and get directtv listings in the program guide? [ In reply to ]
Toby Koenig wrote:
> Has anyone figured out a way to change channels to an external box (like

Has anyone figured out how to search the archives and turn off HTML in mailing
list posts?

--
__ ____
/ / / __/ Brian Lalor
Re: Has anyone figured out a way to change channels to an external box (like DirectTV) and get directtv listings in the program guide? [ In reply to ]
Assuming you have one of the RCA receivers, look at:
http://www.pcmx.net/dtvcon/

Once you build the cable and have the utility working, just search the
archives for a script that can be used to change the channels from myth. The
serial interface works really well.....

I believe there are also instructions for the Sony receivers available as
well, but I'm not sure where to get them....

Cheers,
Achint

--
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand
binary and those that don't"

Re: Has anyone figured out a way to change channels to an external box (like DirectTV) and get directtv listings in the program guide? [ In reply to ]
>Has anyone figured out a way to change channels to an external box (like
>DirectTV) possible using a serial interface or infared, and get directtv
>listings in the program guide? I would really like to use DirectTv with
>it, but will concede to use cable service if necessary. Tivo does this
>but don't know if its possible to do through the MythTV. I am currently
>building the box (waiting on vid card) so am a bit of a newbie but
>didn't see anything listed in documentation on it.
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is all over the archives. Just try searching for "IR transmitter"
or something like that.

Basically, you need to have an IR repeater hooked up to the serial port
of your Myth computer, and have the other end pointed at your cable
(sat) box. When Myth wants to change channels, it'll call an external
program, which will in turn call an lirc (lirc.sourceforge.net) program
to send a signal out through the IR repeater to fake the cable (sat) box
into thinking you just typed in a channel number from your remote
control. That's was TiVo does, too.

I just built my own transmitter (they're easy) and got it working with
my external DISH Network satellite receiver, so ask me if you have any
specific questions.

--
Michael J. Sherman | Software Developer | Digital Sandbox, Inc.
"There are 10 types of people in the world - those who know binary

Re: Has anyone figured out a way to change channels to an external box (like DirectTV) and get directtv listings in the program guide? [ In reply to ]
At 10:46 AM 7/22/2003 -0700, Toby Koenig wrote:

>Has anyone figured out a way to change channels to an external box (like
>DirectTV) possible using a serial interface or infared, and get directtv
>listings in the program guide?

This is really two separate questions.

1. "change channels to an external box (like DirectTV) ". There is a lot of
information in the list archives about this (and a bit of general info in
the HowTo as well). With appropriate add-on hardware, a Myth host using
LIRC can readily control pretty much any external device that can be
operated by a standard remote control. The details are box specific, and
getting a working transmitter is either difficult or expensive (at least in
my opinion; those who will disagree with me don't have different facts,
just more lenient definitions of "difficult" and "expensive"), so look in
the list archives for the actual device you want to control for better
help. Or check the LIRC site.

2. " get directtv listings in the program guide". If you mean access the PG
that DirecTV transmits as part of its service, then forget it. Myth can't
do that. Nobody can do that, unless they sell a device that is integrated
into the receiver box (some digital providers have offered integrated PVRs
in the past, but I've only seen the advertising so do not know exactly how
they work).

OTOH, if you mean download a DirecTV schedule using your country's schedule
grabber, that may be possible, depending on what country you are in and
what providers the grabber's source site supports. I'd expect the US site
to provide DirecTV schedules, for example, though I have not actually checked.

TiVo uses a subscription-based method of providing schedules, one that is
not available to non-TiVo users.

> I would really like to use DirectTv with it, but will concede to use
> cable service if necessary. Tivo does this but don t know if its
> possible to do through the MythTV. I am currently building the box
> (waiting on vid card) so am a bit of a newbie but didn t see anything
> listed in documentation on it.
[...]