Mailing List Archive

converting NUV to AVI or something I can use on my Mac
I've got Mythtv setup and running. I used the manual
capure fauture to caputer a 10 minute home movie clip.
I can play it back in myth - no problems.

I wanted to conver that to something I could edit on
my Mac (iMovie -> iDVD). I've...
~ read HOWTO 19.1
~ patched mplayer
~ messed around with mencoder (two pass)
~ fixed mythencode.pl and tried it
~ tried mkmovie (mythmkmovie)

A lot of the times I get an "AVI" file and no errors
but I can't play them with quicktime or import them
into iMovie. Any suggestions would be great.

Not sure if this is needed but here is some
background: capturing with Wonder VE, setting to
MPEG4, NTSC and very close to the default settings for
video and audio.

TIA,
josh

Re: converting NUV to AVI or something I can use on my Mac [ In reply to ]
On Monday, Jul 21, 2003, Joshua Santelli wrote:

> I've got Mythtv setup and running. I used the manual
> capure fauture to caputer a 10 minute home movie clip.
> I can play it back in myth - no problems.
>
> I wanted to conver that to something I could edit on
> my Mac (iMovie -> iDVD). I've...
> ~ read HOWTO 19.1
> ~ patched mplayer
> ~ messed around with mencoder (two pass)
> ~ fixed mythencode.pl and tried it
> ~ tried mkmovie (mythmkmovie)
>
> A lot of the times I get an "AVI" file and no errors
> but I can't play them with quicktime or import them
> into iMovie. Any suggestions would be great.

Try playing the avi file with something like vlc (on the Mac). I'm
guessing the avi file is using a codec not supported by QuickTime.

> Not sure if this is needed but here is some
> background: capturing with Wonder VE, setting to
> MPEG4, NTSC and very close to the default settings for
> video and audio.

I'd suggest trying to get an mpeg4 file out of the deal, rather than an
avi file. I don't recall an easy way to convert an avi file to
something QuickTime plays nice with, short of using Cleaner (but it
ain't free :). I'll have to look into that myself, since it could be a
bit of fun bringing up a few recordings in Final Cut Pro...

-jcw

Re: converting NUV to AVI or something I can use on my Mac [ In reply to ]
> Try playing the avi file with something like vlc (on
> the Mac). I'm
> guessing the avi file is using a codec not supported
> by QuickTime.

I'll look into vlc and give it a shot. Quicktime does
throw an error about the codec but I wasn't sure what
codec this avi used and what I can use. Getting this
into iMove (or another video editing program) is the
main concern.

> I'd suggest trying to get an mpeg4 file out of the
> deal, rather than an
> avi file. I don't recall an easy way to convert an
> avi file to
> something QuickTime plays nice with, short of using
> Cleaner (but it ain't free :).

Anyone know how I would do that (get this into a
"standard" mpeg4)? I'm up for any format as long as I
can get iMove to import the file and then let me edit
it.

Re: converting NUV to AVI or something I can use on my Mac [ In reply to ]
On Monday, Jul 21, 2003, Joshua Santelli wrote:

>> Try playing the avi file with something like vlc (on
>> the Mac). I'm
>> guessing the avi file is using a codec not supported
>> by QuickTime.
>
> I'll look into vlc and give it a shot. Quicktime does
> throw an error about the codec but I wasn't sure what
> codec this avi used and what I can use. Getting this
> into iMove (or another video editing program) is the
> main concern.

I'm going to look into this issue some more myself... I'll let you (and
the list) know what I figure out (if anything :).

>> I'd suggest trying to get an mpeg4 file out of the
>> deal, rather than an
>> avi file. I don't recall an easy way to convert an
>> avi file to
>> something QuickTime plays nice with, short of using
>> Cleaner (but it ain't free :).
>
> Anyone know how I would do that (get this into a
> "standard" mpeg4)? I'm up for any format as long as I
> can get iMove to import the file and then let me edit
> it.

I've bee reading up on mythmkmovie, and it supposedly spits out divx
avi files... I've never had a problem w/QuickTime viewing any of the
divx files I've created, so I'd double-check that you have the divx
codec plugins for QuickTime installed.

-jcw

Re: Re: converting NUV to AVI or something I can use on my Mac [ In reply to ]
> > I'll look into vlc and give it a shot. Quicktime
> > does throw an error about the codec but I wasn't
> > sure what codec this avi used and what I can use.

> > Getting this into iMove (or another video editing
> > program) is the main concern.
>
> I'm going to look into this issue some more
> myself... I'll let you (and
> the list) know what I figure out (if anything :).

Well, vlc worked for playing the movie so that problem
is solves. It played the movie I exported from
mythmkmovie and mythencode.pl (mencoder).

It looks like vlc will export to a file, not just play
the file. If anyone can shed any light on that
feature I'm all ears.

Anyway, I guess I'm on to figuring out how to edit.
Anyone think I might have better luck with another Mac
program ( Final Cut [pro] )?

Re:Re: converting NUV to AVI or something I can use on my Mac [ In reply to ]
From what I remember from iMovie, it really only likes importing from a dv
cam or dv source. I don't remember being able to play with an mpeg or divx
because I know I have tried in the past (although I haven't screwed with the
new version much). I am in the process of trading my premier cd in for a
nice copy of final cut express, so that should solve my problem.

Best of luck,
Shawn

Re: Re: converting NUV to AVI or something I can use on my Mac [ In reply to ]

> Anyway, I guess I'm on to figuring out how to edit.
> Anyone think I might have better luck with another Mac
> program ( Final Cut [pro] )?
> \

both imovie and final cut pro use the quicktime subsystem. So if you
can't play a movie using the quicktime player and can't import it into
imovie, I highly doubt that final cut pro will do any better. I have a
mac and I've been thinking about messing around with this stuff so I'll
give it a try. One question: have you added a codec to quicktime to
allow you to play divx movies?

best,
Cedar

Re: converting NUV to AVI or something I can use on my Mac [ In reply to ]
See my comments inline...

On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 01:20:54PM -0700, Joshua Santelli wrote:

> > Try playing the avi file with something like vlc (on
> > the Mac). I'm
> > guessing the avi file is using a codec not supported
> > by QuickTime.
>
> I'll look into vlc and give it a shot. Quicktime does
> throw an error about the codec but I wasn't sure what
> codec this avi used and what I can use. Getting this
> into iMove (or another video editing program) is the
> main concern.

You may want to try installing the divx codec (downloadable from
divx.com) and install in on your Mac. I believe the mencoder produce avi
file which is MPEG4 by divx. Also you may want to try use the Quicktime
pro to do the export the file to dv streams (I haven't try this out),
but theoretically with installed divx codec you can do this.

> > I'd suggest trying to get an mpeg4 file out of the
> > deal, rather than an
> > avi file. I don't recall an easy way to convert an
> > avi file to
> > something QuickTime plays nice with, short of using
> > Cleaner (but it ain't free :).
>
> Anyone know how I would do that (get this into a
> "standard" mpeg4)? I'm up for any format as long as I
> can get iMove to import the file and then let me edit
> it.

MPEG4 is just a standard of how to compress file, how they implement it
depends on who implements it. For example, mythtv mpeg4 codec is
implemented by nuppel.
Re: Re:Re: converting NUV to AVI or something I can use on my Mac [ In reply to ]
You can import mpeg movie (I haven't tried avi) to imovie. Try it out
from file->import, if that doesn't work drag and drop an mpeg move to
the clip area.

-Leo

On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 07:43:12AM -0700, Shawn Jackson wrote:
> >From what I remember from iMovie, it really only likes importing from a dv
> cam or dv source. I don't remember being able to play with an mpeg or divx
> because I know I have tried in the past (although I haven't screwed with
> the new version much). I am in the process of trading my premier cd in for
> a nice copy of final cut express, so that should solve my problem.
>
> Best of luck,
> Shawn

Leo Laksmana - BeOL
mailto:beol@laksmana.net
http://www.laksmana.net/
Re: converting NUV to AVI or something I can use on my Mac [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 22 July 2003 03:46 pm, Leo Laksmana wrote:
> MPEG4 is just a standard of how to compress file, how they implement it
> depends on who implements it. For example, mythtv mpeg4 codec is
> implemented by nuppel.

Err, no it's not. It's by ffmpeg/libavcodec.

Isaac
Re: converting NUV to AVI or something I can use on my Mac [ In reply to ]
> MPEG4 is just a standard of how to compress file, how they implement it
> depends on who implements it. For example, mythtv mpeg4 codec is
> implemented by nuppel.

unfortunately, whether correct or not, MPEG4 currently refers to any
number of different encoding codecs. the divx people like to think they
they're mpeg4, and Apple announced over a year ago that Sorenson was to
be the default. I'm sure that microsoft and others have their own
ideas. the *official* MPEG4 standard is still being decided (they
recently figured out what the licensing structure will be, but they're
still arguing about the codec itself).

It's been asked a few times "which" MPEG4 is used by myth, but I've
never heard a response.

nuppel is a container format (like ogg or avi), and even if you can get
the stream into something a mac (or windows machine) can read - avi -
with an mplayer stream copy, that doesn't mean that the end machine can
read it (the standard divx codec will NOT work, or those of us who
wanted would be able to watch those in windows, which we cannot).

-Chris

Re: converting NUV to AVI or something I can use on my Mac [ In reply to ]
Oooppsss... pardon my ill-informed comments...

Thanks for the info Isaac...

-Leo

On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 04:29:07PM -0400, Isaac Richards wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 July 2003 03:46 pm, Leo Laksmana wrote:
> > MPEG4 is just a standard of how to compress file, how they implement it
> > depends on who implements it. For example, mythtv mpeg4 codec is
> > implemented by nuppel.
>
> Err, no it's not. It's by ffmpeg/libavcodec.
>
> Isaac

Leo Laksmana - BeOL
mailto:beol@laksmana.net
http://www.laksmana.net/
Re: converting NUV to AVI or something I can use on my Mac [ In reply to ]
i'm not sure I understand your last comment, by I have been able to use
mythencode to re-encode (if that's the right term) mythtv recording into
divx avi files and play it on windows media player.

-Leo

On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 01:35:19PM -0700, Chris Petersen wrote:
> > MPEG4 is just a standard of how to compress file, how they implement it
> > depends on who implements it. For example, mythtv mpeg4 codec is
> > implemented by nuppel.
>
> unfortunately, whether correct or not, MPEG4 currently refers to any
> number of different encoding codecs. the divx people like to think they
> they're mpeg4, and Apple announced over a year ago that Sorenson was to
> be the default. I'm sure that microsoft and others have their own
> ideas. the *official* MPEG4 standard is still being decided (they
> recently figured out what the licensing structure will be, but they're
> still arguing about the codec itself).
>
> It's been asked a few times "which" MPEG4 is used by myth, but I've
> never heard a response.
>
> nuppel is a container format (like ogg or avi), and even if you can get
> the stream into something a mac (or windows machine) can read - avi -
> with an mplayer stream copy, that doesn't mean that the end machine can
> read it (the standard divx codec will NOT work, or those of us who
> wanted would be able to watch those in windows, which we cannot).
>
> -Chris

Leo Laksmana - BeOL
mailto:beol@laksmana.net
http://www.laksmana.net/
Re: converting NUV to AVI or something I can use on my Mac [ In reply to ]
What he means is that you had to re-encode a already Mpeg4 stream
to Mpeg4 again (or Divx) to get that to work. A simple -oac copy -oav
copy, which would just grab the mpeg4 stream out of the .nuv format
and put it into a .avi container doesn't work.

-Rob

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 14:03:58 -0700, Leo Laksmana wrote

Re: converting NUV to AVI or something I can use on my Mac [ In reply to ]
> You may want to try installing the divx codec
> (downloadable from divx.com) and install in on your
> Mac. I believe the mencoder produce avi
> file which is MPEG4 by divx. Also you may want to
> try use the Quicktime pro to do the export the file
> to dv streams (I haven't try this out), but
> theoretically with installed divx codec you can
> do this.

I installed the divx codec and that allowed me to play
the video in quicktime. I was still not able to
import that into iMove but as expected that was
because of another error -- the file was too large or
I should say the stream was longer than 9 min. (crazy,
I know).

I was able to edit the clip on (real quiet now)
windows with virtualDub. I'm not going to try take
this even more off topic so email me directly if you
are interested how the Mythtv (NUV) -> Mac
(iMove/iDVD) is going.

Thanks for the info everyone