ooooh...ahhhh
http://www.ahanix.com/dvine5.html

-Tupshin

Re: D.vine home-theater atx case [ In reply to ]
Tupshin Harper wrote:
> ooooh...ahhhh
> http://www.ahanix.com/dvine5.html

I have this sitting in my living room now. It's a great case. The only
problem I have with it thus far is that they only have one position to
mount an IDE drive. I'm going to have to make some kind of bracket to
mount more drives. It also uses mini-atx sized power supplies which is
sort of strange. The power supply that ahanix recommends for it is a
little too loud for my ears. Though overall the look is definitely worth
the money.

Jarrod

RE: D.vine home-theater atx case [ In reply to ]
How much did you pay... it's not on the manufacturers site?

RE: D.vine home-theater atx case [ In reply to ]
> How much did you pay... it's not on the manufacturers site?

sorry for the rediculously long URL but I found this:

http://bizrate.lycos.com/marketplace/search/search__cat_id--466,prod_id--7430327,name--AHANIX%20D%2DVINE%20HOME%20THEATER%20PC%27%2C%27%20Model%23%20D%2DVINE%204SE%20%28SILVER%29%20ATX%20PC%20CASE%20%2D%20RETAIL%20%28COMPLETE%20HIGH%20QUAL,keyword--Pc%20Cases.html

... and I've seen it as much as $300+ USD (makes a difference to me
... I live in Canada) ;)

Not sure what others may have paid however.

--
Lonny

RE: D.vine home-theater atx case [ In reply to ]
Looks great but it's a bit too high for me.

I'm currently using the Cubid 2699R
(http://linitx.com/shop/product_info.php/cPath/8/products_id/155) but
that one in not entirely to my liking: it's too small to really fit in
with the rest of my hi-fi equipment en because it's so small it will
probably difficult to fit it with a nice fluorescent display.

Any pointers to nice cases which are more the size of DVD/CD players
would be most welcome! :-)

-Tako

RE:D.vine home-theater atx case [ In reply to ]
try the Hush http://www.mini-itx.com/store/hush.asp
of course, its EPIA M10000 so your going to have to be using PVR-250 to
make it worth your while, but its a nice case, with very low power draw.

--Tom

RE: RE:D.vine home-theater atx case [ In reply to ]
You could also take a look at this...

http://www.coolermaster.com/case/p620.htm

I've seen the case in person - nice case. Coolermaster has a couple of
different cases that are targetted at the market for the "audio component"
look. Were it not for the fact that my Myth box will be sitting in an audio
rack in a dark closet I would have gone for this case.

'Pulley

RE: RE:D.vine home-theater atx case [ In reply to ]
Ok, but I meant an empty case because the M-10000 I've already got ;-)

The Hush is nice but the position of the tray and power button are such
that you can forget about adding a display :-/

-Tako

RE:D.vine home-theater atx case [ In reply to ]
Personally, I will be attempting (attempt being the key word) to build my
own case for exactly those reasons. There are many sites out there that show
how others have built their own, and Im quite handy with my Dremel. I also
want a 2x16 LCD display on the front. (you can get lcd's here:
http://www.eio.com/lcdprodt.htm)

--Tom

Re: D.vine home-theater atx case [ In reply to ]
http://www.colorcase.com/11101.html

$229.95 at Colorcase. I may take some pictures when I get everything put
together.

Jarrod

RE: RE:D.vine home-theater atx case [ In reply to ]
Personally I was thinking more in the line of fluorescent displays like
normally used in hifi equipment.
You can buy those here for example:
http://www.matrixorbital.com/pages/product_view.asp?CatID=2
<http://www.matrixorbital.com/pages/product_view.asp?CatID=2&ProductID=2
3> &ProductID=23
But they're quite a bit more expensive than LCD displays so I've been
postponing it until I get my Mythbox up and running 100% (still not able
to play back recordings stutter-free *sigh*).

RE:D.vine home-theater atx case [ In reply to ]
With the Nehemiah core, even without getting to use the MPEG decoder (one
day we hope), there shouldnt be any studders in the playback. Make sure
you have the newest version of the firmware for the PVR-250, there are a
few threads on how the old firmware can cause these problems. On the
origonal note, Im thinking of making my case out of wood.... cheap, easy
to do my will with it, etc.. just to find a design I like, then go to a
metal from there.

--Tom

RE: RE:D.vine home-theater atx case [ In reply to ]
Doing the same, bought a broken receiver off of ebay, and a noritake VFD
with HD44780 interface. Soldered up the VFD, but it's not working as of
yet. Afraid I may have killed it as I had no multimeter and believed
incorrect info that the 5V line was the yellow on a molex connector.
Anyway, once it's done it should look pretty darn cool as a frontend.
I'd love to see how yours comes out. Good luck with it.

Jason Schloer

Re: RE:D.vine home-theater atx case [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 09:48:53AM +0200, Tako Schotanus wrote:
> Personally I was thinking more in the line of fluorescent displays like
> normally used in hifi equipment.

I am quite happy with this case:

http://www.digitalconnection.com/Products/Cases/ht200.asp

Full-size ATX compatible, aluminum, non-proprietary power supply mounting
(watch out for CoolerMasters if this matters to you!), front USB and
firewire, extra cooling fan included, and...

it _includes_ a VFD display!

$229.
Re: RE:D.vine home-theater atx case [ In reply to ]
Nice case, pity that again it is one of those "high" cases. Maybe I
should do what somebody else said and use an old receiver or cd player
and use it for my M-10000. Ah well, keep the suggestions coming! :-)

-Tako

Re: RE:D.vine home-theater atx case [ In reply to ]
Just out of curiosity, did you get the IR remote they have to go with
the box? If so did you have any problems setting it up?

Re: RE:D.vine home-theater atx case [ In reply to ]
Is it possible that a firmware for the PVR affects _playback_??

Because I can play recordings without any problems on my Windows box
(from my myth box over the network).

A bit extra info: I tried yesterday to figure out at which bitrates it
finally starts functioning well and the bitrate needed to do that would
be so low as to be completely useless (I've got it at 450000/600000 by
default and only at 100000/150000 did it stop stuttering but by then the
TV program had deteriorated into a squaredance ;-)

-Tako

RE:D.vine home-theater atx case [ In reply to ]
Could the expensive-case HTPC crowd help me understand
why you'd pay $229 (or more) for a case that doesn't
even have a power supply when there are very similar
$60-100 cases available (with power supplies!)? LCDs
aren't it, as you can buy and LCD and stick it in the
drive slot. Is it the soundproofing? The looks? I have
checked out these cases and I just don't see it... I
figure I must be missing some key criteria.

For the sub-$100 case crowd, anyone have an
HTPC-oriented uATX or ATX case they love? I've found
quite a few I like but I haven't found the perfect one
just yet. You can reply off list if it's too off topic
(although it seems similar to many topics to me!)

- Jason S.

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
RE: RE:D.vine home-theater atx case [ In reply to ]
I think you answered your first question with your second. I don't own one of these expensive cases (yet) but the *only* cases I've found that would really fulfill all my wants/needs (multi-standard mobo support, full ATX PSU support, LCD display, good looks that fit in with my ent. center, etc.) are cases like the d.vine and the like. All of the cheaper cases I've looked at are deficient in some way - either they don't support a full-size ATX PSU, or they don't support a full-size motherboard, or they're ugly, or poorly constructed, or whatever. If you do want an LCD I also think it's better to have the case support it natively, since a lot of these HTPC cases put their drive bays behind doors.

Depending on the equipment you already have, it may cost you more in the long run to buy a cheaper case and then buy equipment that'll fit in it, rather than buying a case that you can put standard equipment in that you may just have either lying around or already mounted in a regular PC case.

It's one of those things where I think it's okay to buy a cheaper case and you might be satisfied with one depending on your wants and needs, but if you really want everything exactly right and every possible option, you do need to spend the money. It's true of regular PC cases as well; most people get by with a cheap case and never know the difference, but those that want/need a more expensive case generally know it and I rarely see someone dissatisfied with their purchase.

Re: RE:D.vine home-theater atx case [ In reply to ]
I went w/ this case from newegg for $49:
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?description=11-150-996

I'm very pleased w/ the looks. The fans aren't the quietest but
that's easy enough (and cheap enough) to fix.

-larry

Re: RE:D.vine home-theater atx case [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 01:53:27PM -0700, Jason S wrote:
> Could the expensive-case HTPC crowd help me understand
> why you'd pay $229 (or more) for a case that doesn't
> even have a power supply when there are very similar
> $60-100 cases available (with power supplies!)? LCDs
> aren't it, as you can buy and LCD and stick it in the
> drive slot. Is it the soundproofing? The looks? I have
> checked out these cases and I just don't see it... I
> figure I must be missing some key criteria.

Here are my criteria (with no other evidence to support my views than, um,
my views):

Power Supplies included in cases are, as a whole, notoriously low-quality.
If it doesn't burn out in a few months, or lose its cooling fan (then burn
out) it will drive you crazy from all the noise. I am going to buy a power
supply anyway, either from PC Power and Cooling (no PCP&C product has ever
failed me, ever) or, this time, Zalman (to go along with all the other nifty
silence stuff I got). I chose not to waste money on an included PS I would
never use.

My HTPC case is very likely a once-in-a-lifetime purchase. I may upgrade
that hardware someday with a new M/B, or bigger drives, or whatever. The
case will not change. Why lowball the one component that will outlast all
the rest? Go cheap on hard drives, and upgrade them in a year, when they
are twice the size at half the price, but your case will never change. I
looked for quality and aesthetics I knew I would be happy with for a very
long time.

That cheap plastic on the front of cheap cases does very little to block
sound. This case, and most other "expensive" HTPC cases, have thick
aluminum faceplates that are not only attractive, but sound-dampening. Your
hard drive (not to mention that noisy CD/DVD-ROM drive) will be very busy
while you capture and view video and movies. Do you want to put up with the
whirring and whizzing and clicking all through your favorite movies and
shows? I looked for a case with a closeable cover over the CD-ROM drive to
block its noise.

This system is going to be the showcase of my A/V stack (such as it is :-).
When friends and family come to visit, we will certainly talk about that
wonderfully geeky computer that really doesn't look like a computer sitting
there under my cable box, just above my receiver. Is it pretentious to
spend an extra $100 bucks or so just for aesthetics? Probably. Ask your
girlfriend if her clothes and makeup are a waste of money. ;-) On second
thought, don't, since you may very well go through more girlfriends than
HTPC cases anyway (see above). No need to accelerate the turnover...

In summary, I have learned over time to always buy up. I have never
regretted buying better than I "could settle for." The longer I am going to
own the article in question, the more important it is to be sure I am happy
with it for the long haul.

Re: RE:D.vine home-theater atx case [ In reply to ]
too each there own on how much you spend on a case.

I get mine from www.electroseller.com nice cases that are not way overboard.
some of them have lcd displays and cost $80-90

RE:D.vine home-theater atx case [ In reply to ]
When you speak of making your system quiet, making it one of the reasons you
are willing to spend $200+ on a case, I can understand that. However, that
is why I'm using the Via M10000 because with a relatively cheap setup, you
don't even need a fan. Making it VERY quiet. See www.mini-itx.com
<http://www.mini-itx.com/> for power supplies, riser cards (to allow for 2
PVR cards), etc. tons of HIDI's (How I Did It). I chose the M10000 for the
following reasons.

1. Quiet
2. VERY low power consumption (saves money on the bills)
3. extremely small board
4. Does the job.

Not saying the VIA is the best for everyone, but it will do the trick, and
as soon as the Hardware decoder has a driver for linux, it will make it that
much sweeter.

--Tom