The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"
Re: MPEG1 setting on PVR-250?!? [ In reply to ]
At 06:47 PM 7/19/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>I'd like my pvr-250 to encode and output to a file mpeg1 and not mpeg2. Is
>there a way to do this with the ivtv drivers? I tried test_ioctl -c
>stream_type=2, and the file it outputs appears to be mpeg1 but the image is
>very messed up. Are there other special control settings I need to do? I
>don't really want real high quality for my recordings and I would like to be
>able to burn them straight to VCD (not SVCD). Just FYI standard mpeg2 works
>file.

Don't have an answer for you, but I can say that recording directly to
VCD-compliant MPEG1 would probably be a bad idea. The quality will likely
be quite horrible.

You'd be much better off recording to MPEG2 and transcoding to VCD.

-WD
Re: MPEG1 setting on PVR-250?!? [ In reply to ]
I'm fine with that for now. I watch VCDs all the time. The card has an mpeg1
encoder in it, it can't be that bad. If nothing else I'd like something I
could play in windows (sorry if that hurt anyone's ears) easily without trying
to load a mpeg2 codec. Anyway... would still like to know if it's possible..

joshua

On Sat, Jul 19, 2003 at 11:18:13PM -0400, Will Dormann wrote:
> At 06:47 PM 7/19/2003 -0700, you wrote:
> >I'd like my pvr-250 to encode and output to a file mpeg1 and not mpeg2. Is
> >there a way to do this with the ivtv drivers? I tried test_ioctl -c
> >stream_type=2, and the file it outputs appears to be mpeg1 but the image is
> >very messed up. Are there other special control settings I need to do? I
> >don't really want real high quality for my recordings and I would like to be
> >able to burn them straight to VCD (not SVCD). Just FYI standard mpeg2 works
> >file.
>

> Don't have an answer for you, but I can say that recording directly to
> VCD-compliant MPEG1 would probably be a bad idea. The quality will likely
> be quite horrible.
>
> You'd be much better off recording to MPEG2 and transcoding to VCD.
>
> -WD

*<|:oþ
"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!