Any input is appreciated, thanks!

--
Lonny
Re: Mobo [off topic] [ In reply to ]
s/Linuc/Linux/g

*shakes head* comment inline ...

> I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience (good or bad)
> using a board with nVidia's nForce2 chipset. I'm making a dedicated
> MythTV box and listening to the issues with VIA chipsets I decided to
> go with a nForce2 board (Asus A7N8X).
>
> So far it seems that kernel support in Linuc might be fairly scarce so
> I was just wondering if anyone else is using something similar and if
> its been stable etc.

I did a bit more greping in the kernel source and found there actually
is a kernel module to enable UDMA-100 with this chipset. I'd still be
interested if anyone here is using it and what experiences you may
have had.

Re: Mobo [off topic] [ In reply to ]
See my other posts on the Chaintech 7NIF2 board. Should apply (mostly) for all
other nforce2 boards.

Short version: If you use kernel v2.4.21, the nforce drivers from nvidia and the
most recent alsa you can get (I use .9.4), then all will be well.

Lonny Selinger wrote:

> All,
>
> I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience (good or bad)
> using a board with nVidia's nForce2 chipset. I'm making a dedicated
> MythTV box and listening to the issues with VIA chipsets I decided to
> go with a nForce2 board (Asus A7N8X).
>
> So far it seems that kernel support in Linuc might be fairly scarce so
> I was just wondering if anyone else is using something similar and if
> its been stable etc.
>
> Any input is appreciated, thanks!
>
> --
> Lonny

Shawn Edwards
sedwards@theedwards.org

Some people around here wouldn't recognize subtlety if it hit them on the head.

Re: Mobo [off topic] [ In reply to ]
I bought an epox-8rda+ to run MythTV on. I wrestled with the BIOS,
compiling kernels (with ALSA, lm_sensors2, etc.), built-in sound, the
on-board ethernet, and just about everything else. The Asus you mention
might be better, if you get the deluxe model with the 3com NIC. The new
lm_sensors that works with nforce2 motherboards requires changes to i2c
which are incompatible with bttv driver (and others), BTW.

I think you'd probably be better off with a KT400 solution. You
probably can get everything work with the Asus, but you will likely
spend some time messing with things to make it happen. I have
everything working except the extra USB ports and the Firewire ports are
untested on my Epox so it can be done. I have no experience with KT400
motherboards though, so take that recommendation with a grain of salt.

My guess is the next wave of distributions will likely have most of this
ironed out. (Probably no support for the built-in ethernet on the
nforce2, but it will likely include AGP, Firewire, USB, etc. in a
working state.) But that's just a guess.

Good luck..

Re: Mobo [off topic] [ In reply to ]
Awsome thanks! ... I'll go hunt more in the archives. I'll be using
2.4.21 and everything else I'll be compiling from source so I'll grab
the latest.

Thanks again!

Re: Mobo [off topic] [ In reply to ]
I don't recomment via kt333, or the kt400 chipset. It could just be me
and a half dozen other people, but the second ide channel doesn't work.
It did on 2.2.18 for installing debian, but with 2.4.18 or 2.4.20, every
device I've tried on that second ide channel causes ATAPI reset errors,
and I've never been able to mount a cd (I can play a dvd throug direct
access in xine though). Anyway, I got the MSI kt4v, which has the KT
400 chipset. after 30 hours of trial disabling dma, pci, removing all
pci cards, and even moving my main harddrive to hdc (instead of hda) I
get the ATAPI reset errors and nothing will work. I'm not sure if it's
a kernel problem or what. Some people say Suse worked on this chip, but
knoppix, redhat and mandrake all don't work people report.

I'd be curious if anyone here has their second channel ide working, if
they're using an MSI MB with a via kt400 chipset, or any kt400 chipset.
Also last night at the local LUG, someone has the MSI KT4-ultra, which
has the kt400 chipset, and they can't get anything installed either.

--Brandon

Re: Mobo [off topic] [ In reply to ]
I have an ASUS A7N8X, no problems. I highly recommend it.

- David

Re: Mobo [off topic] [ In reply to ]
I just built a KT400 myth box using an EPOX 8K9AI MB. I shied away from
the nForce due to
the apparent lack of support in linux. I setup the box using MDK9.1.
Install was seamless. Zero
config issues. I didn't have to do anything. Onboard sound, lan,
controllers all recognized and
operational on first try. It's plenty fast too. With AMD2500+ Barton
core, DDR400 512MB ram,
and stock settings, recording at 480x480 MPG4, high quality, recording
one stream and watching a
different stream, top shows 49-51% usage. Seems plenty fast.

Re: Mobo [off topic] [ In reply to ]
My KT400 Epox board works fine. DVDrom on second channel. No issues.

Re: Mobo [off topic] [ In reply to ]
Just out of curiosity ... did you use the nForce2 drivers (with GART
suport for Kernel 2.4.20) or just everything default with your distro
installation?

Their drivers were updated (including the AGP stuff) early June this
year so they *might* be worth looking at ... I've used their Video
card drivers for a while and have been extremely happy with their
support and release schedule (even though its all proprietary).

Just curious,

Re: Mobo [off topic] [ In reply to ]
Brandon Beattie wrote:

> I'd be curious if anyone here has their second channel ide working, if
> they're using an MSI MB with a via kt400 chipset, or any kt400 chipset.
> Also last night at the local LUG, someone has the MSI KT4-ultra, which
> has the kt400 chipset, and they can't get anything installed either.

I've got an Asus a7v8x-x[1] which uses the KT400 chipset. I didn't know about
the problems others were having with it when I bought mine... :-) I'm using a
Lite-On (IIRC; dmesg sees "hdc: JLMS XJ-HD166S, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive")
CD/DVD-ROM drive. I used it to install RH9 and I use it for ripping CDs
(about 200 so far). I do get these errors when ripping:
hdc: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
hdc: irq timeout: error=0x00
hdc: DMA disabled
hdc: ATAPI reset complete
hdc: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
hdc: irq timeout: error=0x00
hdc: ATAPI reset complete

... but *most* of my rips are successful (using Grip, oggenc and cdparanoia).
The ones that aren't are due, I think, to scratched CDs.

So there's another data point for ya. I can't comment authoritatively on
overall performance (which I think is a little iffy) because this is the first
high-performance computer I've build (actually, the first computer I've built
period).

[1] http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/socketa/a7v8x-x/overview.htm

--
__ ____
/ / / __/ Brian Lalor
Re: Mobo [off topic] [ In reply to ]
I also use an ASUS A7v8X-X... Works great, athough I've never tried ripping
a CD with it.
(Both my IDE channels work....)

re: Mobo [off topic] [ In reply to ]
I am using an ASUS A7V8X-X (VIA chipset) and have no problems whatsoever. I
loaded Mandrake 9.1 and all of my hardware was recognized, including sound,
LAN, etc. I don't know why VIA chipsets have such a bad rep. This mobo is
cheaper than a nVidia chipset board and costs less. Since I only intend to
use the box for Myth it is more than fast enough for my needs. If I were
you I would save my money and go for the A7V8X-X.

-- Harry Orenstein

Re: Mobo [off topic] [ In reply to ]
Hey,
I've got the chaintech microATX nforce2 board also. The only hitch you
may have is during install it will not find your onboard nic. I used a
PCI 3com during install, then installed the nvnet later.
I did a stage 1 gentoo install and everything went fine. I went with
Alsa for the sound support and its working great. I need to find the spdif
connector to test that at some time. I've not tested the firewire port, since
I have no firewire devices.

Good luck,
-l33