Mailing List Archive

MythTV, minor sound issue, major video issue
I'm running MythTV from CVS with a PVR 250 card and on an nForce2 motherboard
(Shuttle SN45G with nForce2 sound and net) and have noticed a couple of
issues. I've been waiting a week to see if these were solved by upgrading
from the live CVS tree, but so far no sigar.

1. Sound issue

When MythTV starts up and I go in and watch live tv, sound is not enabled.
Simply switching channel seems to activate sound, but I would guess it should
be on by default. The only clue I have found about sound from the backend is

WARNING: Capture device /dev/dsp is not reporting full duplex capability

Does not sound too serious, and as said I have no problem with sound after
switching channel.

2. Video issue

Watching live tv works great, even pause/unpause livetv. However, all
recordings that have been scheduled from the program guide seems to be blank
(includig no sound). When I try to play recordings, the screen briefly
flashes blue and then shows all black. I've tried various recordings on
various channels but they all fail. I have no problem watching live tv - only
the recordings fail. I have found no indications in the output from the
backend that it is having problems recording, and apart from the missing
sound and video, it actually stores a recording (all black, no sound).

Any hints would be appreciated.

Marius K.

Re: MythTV, minor sound issue, major video issue [ In reply to ]
The sound problem I have resently see too. ( i also have a PVR 250 Havent
had time to look at.

the video problem on the other hand could be our record profiles. Default,
livetv, and transcode
are they set for hardware MPEG?

I am not sure but it is something to check

Re: MythTV, minor sound issue, major video issue [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 17 July 2003 11:05 am, Marius Kjeldahl wrote:
> I'm running MythTV from CVS with a PVR 250 card and on an nForce2
> motherboard (Shuttle SN45G with nForce2 sound and net) and have noticed a
> couple of issues. I've been waiting a week to see if these were solved by
> upgrading from the live CVS tree, but so far no sigar.
>
> 1. Sound issue
>
> When MythTV starts up and I go in and watch live tv, sound is not enabled.
> Simply switching channel seems to activate sound, but I would guess it
> should be on by default. The only clue I have found about sound from the
> backend is this message:

That's an ivtv driver issue, bring it up on their mailing list.

> WARNING: Capture device /dev/dsp is not reporting full duplex capability
>
> Does not sound too serious, and as said I have no problem with sound after
> switching channel.

It's not serious, as you're not using the soundcard to record with.

> 2. Video issue
>
> Watching live tv works great, even pause/unpause livetv. However, all
> recordings that have been scheduled from the program guide seems to be
> blank (includig no sound). When I try to play recordings, the screen
> briefly flashes blue and then shows all black. I've tried various
> recordings on various channels but they all fail. I have no problem
> watching live tv - only the recordings fail. I have found no indications in
> the output from the backend that it is having problems recording, and apart
> from the missing sound and video, it actually stores a recording (all
> black, no sound).

Sounds like you may have set up a input on the card other than the tuner (or
the input you want) with the same mapping -- ie, some people have wrongly
told every single input on the card (in the 4th section of setup) to be
connected to the same video source. When it goes to live-tv, it uses the
default input (generally the tuner), but when it goes to record, it picks the
first input that's mapped to that channel, and you get a blank recording.

Isaac
Re: MythTV, minor sound issue, major video issue [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 17 July 2003 12:11 pm, Chris Siwiec wrote:
> the video problem on the other hand could be our record profiles. Default,
> livetv, and transcode
> are they set for hardware MPEG?

No, this couldn't be it. It ignores all those settings aside from resolution.

Isaac
Re: MythTV, minor sound issue, major video issue [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 17 July 2003 18:35, Isaac Richards wrote:
> On Thursday 17 July 2003 11:05 am, Marius Kjeldahl wrote:
> > 1. Sound issue
> >
> > When MythTV starts up and I go in and watch live tv, sound is not
> > enabled. Simply switching channel seems to activate sound, but I would
> > guess it should be on by default. The only clue I have found about sound
> > from the backend is this message:
>
> That's an ivtv driver issue, bring it up on their mailing list.

I tried, but the ivtv list does not like the fact that I am on a variable IP
(even though my domain name is fixed), so until they relax their requirements
or I get an emal account on a "permanent" server, I can not join the lists
there.

> > 2. Video issue
> >
> > Watching live tv works great, even pause/unpause livetv. However, all
> > recordings that have been scheduled from the program guide seems to be
> > blank (includig no sound). When I try to play recordings, the screen
> > briefly flashes blue and then shows all black. I've tried various
> > recordings on various channels but they all fail. I have no problem
> > watching live tv - only the recordings fail. I have found no indications
> > in the output from the backend that it is having problems recording, and
> > apart from the missing sound and video, it actually stores a recording
> > (all black, no sound).
>
> Sounds like you may have set up a input on the card other than the tuner
> (or the input you want) with the same mapping -- ie, some people have
> wrongly told every single input on the card (in the 4th section of setup)
> to be connected to the same video source. When it goes to live-tv, it uses
> the default input (generally the tuner), but when it goes to record, it
> picks the first input that's mapped to that channel, and you get a blank
> recording.

This was exactly what was happening. By default, MythTV set up both Composite
0 and Tuner 0 to my default feed. Using MythTV, I had told it to use Tuner 0,
but recording still defaulted to Composite 0 like you described. I ran setup
and removed the Composite 0 mapping, and it works like a charm now.

In short, everything works fine now, but recordings are a bit low quality. As
soon as the PAL issues with the ivtv driver are solved or I figure out how to
tweak my Athlon XP 2800 nForce2 system to be able to capture 576x576 without
missing frames, recording quality should improve.

Thanks for the help.

Marius K.

Re: MythTV, minor sound issue, major video issue [ In reply to ]
On Friday 18 July 2003 07:28 am, Marius Kjeldahl wrote:
> This was exactly what was happening. By default, MythTV set up both
> Composite 0 and Tuner 0 to my default feed. Using MythTV, I had told it to
> use Tuner 0, but recording still defaulted to Composite 0 like you
> described. I ran setup and removed the Composite 0 mapping, and it works
> like a charm now.

It did not set up _anything_ for you. You told it wrong.

Isaac
Re: MythTV, minor sound issue, major video issue [ In reply to ]
On Friday 18 July 2003 16:43, Isaac Richards wrote:
> On Friday 18 July 2003 07:28 am, Marius Kjeldahl wrote:
> > This was exactly what was happening. By default, MythTV set up both
> > Composite 0 and Tuner 0 to my default feed. Using MythTV, I had told it
> > to use Tuner 0, but recording still defaulted to Composite 0 like you
> > described. I ran setup and removed the Composite 0 mapping, and it works
> > like a charm now.
>
> It did not set up _anything_ for you. You told it wrong.

I'm not trying to push the blame here, just completing the information so that
others might benefit. Thanks for helping out.

Marius K.