are in there however. For those who want more cutting edge, you can still
grab ebuilds for xmltv 0.5.15 and the myth* cvs from my CVS tree. I think
the link was posted on this list previously (I just signed up myself). I
think the plan is for me to maintain these things in official portage so if
you find any problems, please yell at me.

---max kalika
--max@lsit.ucsb.edu
-lsit systems administrator
Re: MythTV in Gentoo portage. [ In reply to ]
Max Kalika wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> For those Gentoo users eagerly awaiting the inclusion of MythTV (and xmltv
> and all the myth modules) there's good news. Myth* is finally in portage.
> Only the latest stable (0.10) mythtv and the known working xmltv (0.5.14)
> are in there however. For those who want more cutting edge, you can still
> grab ebuilds for xmltv 0.5.15 and the myth* cvs from my CVS tree. I think
> the link was posted on this list previously (I just signed up myself). I
> think the plan is for me to maintain these things in official portage so if
> you find any problems, please yell at me.

woohoo!! i'm gonna "emerge sync" right now!

didnt you also write an ebuild for the nuppelvideo patched mplayer too?
or was that someone else? ahh no that was someone else on this list but
unfortunately it was an older release of mplayer

oh and btw, i did post your cvs info earlier you can see the thread if
you search the forum archives for 'ebuilds' or something...

and whomever takes care of the myth documentation should update the docs
and webpage to indicate the new gentoo install procedures:
$ emerge xmltv
$ emerge mythtv
$ emerge mythweather
and so on...

as long as they use emerge the whole QTDIR thing is a non-issue.
all the perl dependencies like Date::Manip, etc. will be pulled down
when they emerge xmltv i believe...
they should note that mysql.txt is in /etc/mythtv/
(/usr/share/mythtv/mysql.txt is just a symlink to it) and
/etc/conf.d/mythbackend file should be checked to make sure the values
dont require editing.

thanks Max!
Sean

Re: MythTV in Gentoo portage. [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 08 July 2003 11:30 pm, Max Kalika wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> For those Gentoo users eagerly awaiting the inclusion of MythTV (and xmltv
> and all the myth modules) there's good news. Myth* is finally in portage.
> Only the latest stable (0.10) mythtv and the known working xmltv (0.5.14)
> are in there however. For those who want more cutting edge, you can still
> grab ebuilds for xmltv 0.5.15 and the myth* cvs from my CVS tree. I think
> the link was posted on this list previously (I just signed up myself). I
> think the plan is for me to maintain these things in official portage so if
> you find any problems, please yell at me.

The ebuild is running configure with several args that it shouldn't be,
including the --cpu arg with an invalid cpu type which will end up disabling
a number of x86/mmx opts. The _only_ arg that's valid in this context is
'--enable-lcd'

Isaac
Re: MythTV in Gentoo portage. [ In reply to ]
Quoting Isaac Richards <ijr@po.cwru.edu>:

> The ebuild is running configure with several args that it shouldn't be,
> including the --cpu arg with an invalid cpu type which will end up
> disabling a number of x86/mmx opts. The _only_ arg that's valid in this
> context is '--enable-lcd'

Oh hey, I didn't notice things changed recently. Bad me! Ok, what about
doing this:

--extra-cflags="${CFLAGS}"

and still changing pentiumpro to your configured cpu in settings.pro?

Re: MythTV in Gentoo portage. [ In reply to ]
Quoting Isaac Richards <ijr@po.cwru.edu>:

> The ebuild is running configure with several args that it shouldn't be,
> including the --cpu arg with an invalid cpu type which will end up
> disabling a number of x86/mmx opts. The _only_ arg that's valid in this
> context is '--enable-lcd'

Sorry for the noise. Just wanted to confirm that the dependancy on a52dec
and the whole --enable-a52bin stuff can be blown away too. Is this correct?

Thanks!

Re: MythTV in Gentoo portage. [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 17 July 2003 11:39 pm, Max Kalika wrote:
> Quoting Isaac Richards <ijr@po.cwru.edu>:
> > The ebuild is running configure with several args that it shouldn't be,
> > including the --cpu arg with an invalid cpu type which will end up
> > disabling a number of x86/mmx opts. The _only_ arg that's valid in this
> > context is '--enable-lcd'
>
> Oh hey, I didn't notice things changed recently.

They haven't changed ever =) I just removed the text from configure --help
because it confused people.

> Bad me! Ok, what about doing this:
>
> --extra-cflags="${CFLAGS}"
>
> and still changing pentiumpro to your configured cpu in settings.pro?

There's really absolutely no need to do that (or modify settings.pro), unless
you're running on a cpu that's incompatible with the pentiumpro setting.
Most of the time consuming code, either encoding or decoding video, is
optimized with handwritten mmx in either libavcodec, or the rtjpeg codec.

> Sorry for the noise. Just wanted to confirm that the dependancy on a52dec
> and the whole --enable-a52bin stuff can be blown away too. Is this correct?

Yup. Never was a dependency, not even used by anything.

Isaac
Re: MythTV in Gentoo portage. [ In reply to ]
Quoting Isaac Richards <ijr@po.cwru.edu>:

>> Oh hey, I didn't notice things changed recently.
>
> They haven't changed ever =) I just removed the text from configure
> --help because it confused people.

Guilty of being confused! :-)

>> --extra-cflags="${CFLAGS}"
>>
>> and still changing pentiumpro to your configured cpu in settings.pro?
>
> There's really absolutely no need to do that (or modify settings.pro),
> unless you're running on a cpu that's incompatible with the pentiumpro
> setting. Most of the time consuming code, either encoding or decoding
> video, is optimized with handwritten mmx in either libavcodec, or the
> rtjpeg codec.

So the compiler cpu optimizations won't do anything? Interesting. Would
it make sense to do the latter anyway to catch the C3 and K6 users?

>> Sorry for the noise. Just wanted to confirm that the dependancy on
>> a52dec and the whole --enable-a52bin stuff can be blown away too. Is
>> this correct?
>
> Yup. Never was a dependency, not even used by anything.

Ok, all these changes have been made to my local tree. I'll push them out
to official portage (hopefully) this week.

Re: MythTV in Gentoo portage. [ In reply to ]
On Friday 18 July 2003 01:15 am, Max Kalika wrote:
> So the compiler cpu optimizations won't do anything? Interesting. Would
> it make sense to do the latter anyway to catch the C3 and K6 users?

Sure, they'll do _something_, just not very much. But, yeah, it's probably a
good idea to do it for the c3/k6 users. You shouldn't need to pass in the
--extra-cflags option, though, as that bit of code doesn't get passed in a
-march flag from settings.pro, just uses -O3 or whatnot.

Isaac