Does anyone know if it's possible to tune channels on a Nokia 9802 Satelite decoder with the serial interface it has. Wich software do i need.

Thanx

Fredrik Högberg
RE: Nokia 9802 [ In reply to ]
Im trying to get info about this but its hard..

Nokia wont say anything, I did find a windoooze program that could change channels and I emailed the author of that program but still no answer..

I hope someone ot some info about this..

//Andreas Hanfelt
Re: RE: Nokia 9802 [ In reply to ]
Hi!
Is that program available somewhere?
It can't be that complicated to reverse engenear the protocol used.

Fredrik

RE: Nokia 9802 [ In reply to ]
Yes it is i uploaded it to my server so you can get ahold of it..

http://utb.orust.se/mse9800.zip

//Andreas Hanfelt
Re: RE: Nokia 9802 [ In reply to ]
the nokia 9802 was what i had before having mythtv at my living room plus a
Nexus-s at the 2nd pci slot. now i don't need it anymore ;-)
Re: Nokia 9802 [ In reply to ]
Fredrik Högberg wrote:

>Nokia 9802

Wondering, if that is the Nokia Media Terminal based on Linux and
embedding Mozilla (is it? - I couldn't find any mention of a browser), I
looked at its handbook
<http://nds1.nokia.com/home_products/files/user's_guide/9802S_usersguide_en.pdf>.
It has a few nice screenshots, maybe that gives some ideas to some
developers or theme creators.

Fredrik, as I understand, the terminal can "only" do analog TV and
DVB-S. You can just plug in the appropriate TV cards into your PC and
have MythTV tune directly, without the terminal. Of course, you need to
buy the cards (50-80 EUR each). And DVB support in MythTV is
work-in-progress, not really usable yet, but you'd be welcome to help
debugging it, if you want to help.

Ben
Re: RE: Nokia 9802 [ In reply to ]
ooops! i'm wrong, what i had is the 9902, i mean, the one with what they
call "Personal Active Disc", with DVB-s.
Re: Nokia 9802 [ In reply to ]
Ben Wrote:

> Wondering, if that is the Nokia Media Terminal based on Linux and
> embedding Mozilla (is it? - I couldn't find any mention of a browser), I
> looked at its handbook
> <http://nds1.nokia.com/home_products/files/user's_guide/9802S_usersguide_en.pdf>.
> It has a few nice screenshots, maybe that gives some ideas to some
> developers or theme creators.
>

> Fredrik, as I understand, the terminal can "only" do analog TV and
> DVB-S. You can just plug in the appropriate TV cards into your PC and
> have MythTV tune directly, without the terminal. Of course, you need to
> buy the cards (50-80 EUR each). And DVB support in MythTV is
> work-in-progress, not really usable yet, but you'd be welcome to help
> debugging it, if you want to help.

I don't understand what you mean. The Nokia 9802 is a standard satellite decoder/receiver.
The idea is that it will tune channels and then record them with myth.
A TV card that can tune/decode the satelite dish directly costs 250EUR and i don't know if it's possible to decode pay channels on linux.
I'm not really know much about this. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Fredrik
Re: Nokia 9802 [ In reply to ]
Fredrik Högberg wrote:

>A TV card that can tune/decode the satelite dish directly costs 250EUR and i don't know if it's possible to decode pay channels on linux.

They cost 80 Eur. If you want to decode encrypted channels, add 100-200
Eur. But it's technically definitely the way to go. You don't need to
reverse engineer any priprietary protocols, you can add several cards at
once, you have a far better quality, you need less CPU resources,
because you can store the MPEG stream directly from the satelite. With
your terminal, the terminal would decode it, send it over an analog
cable, your computer would encode it, later decode it and send it via an
analog cable again.
Re: Nokia 9802 [ In reply to ]
> I don't understand what you mean. The Nokia 9802 is a standard satellite
> decoder/receiver.

Ah ok, so 9802 is the same of the 9902 that i owe. Well, it has also a disk no?

> The idea is that it will tune channels and then record them with myth.
> A TV card that can tune/decode the satelite dish directly costs 250EUR and i
> don't know if it's possible to decode pay channels on linux.

Well, i found a nexus-s for about 200€, and yes, it's possible to get pay
channels in linux, not (yet, hopefully soon) with mythtv, but now you can with
vdr. As far as I know, vdr supports CI interfaces, but that's matter of another
project.
To record DVB with mythtv right now doesn't looks a nice idea to me: you'll
lose the digital quality when encoding. But on the other hand, if you buy that
DVB card, you'll get a lot more features than the Nokia, so then is cheaper ;)
btw, vdr and mythtv can coexist in the meantime