Mailing List Archive

Possible new features for Mythgallery
While using mythgallery, I started becoming aware
of a few shortcomings so I started hacking on it.
So far, my list of things I'd like to see in it are:

1. Ability to enter slideshow mode from icon view
2. Store settings in mysql instead of .txt file
3. Graphical dialog to change aforementioned settings.
4. Transition effects (fade, wipe, etc)
5. Tool to import images from removable devices

So far, I've finished 1 and 2 and I'm currently
working on 3 (1 was easy and 2 was trivial).

So a question for the list: Are there any other
features I could add to mythgallery?

And a question to developers: Is there anyone else
working on mythgallery right now? It'd be a waste
to duplicate effort.

And a question to Isaac: Should I just submit
the new code in one big chunk or should I commit
changes along the way? (assuming there's not
already someone working on mythgallery)

-Dennis

http://calendar.yahoo.com
Re: Possible new features for Mythgallery [ In reply to ]
> 1. Ability to enter slideshow mode from icon view
> 2. Store settings in mysql instead of .txt file
> 3. Graphical dialog to change aforementioned settings.
> 4. Transition effects (fade, wipe, etc)
> 5. Tool to import images from removable devices

that would be nice, big thx.

> So a question for the list: Are there any other
> features I could add to mythgallery?

hability to "rotate" the pictures ;)

> And a question to developers: Is there anyone else
> working on mythgallery right now? It'd be a waste
> to duplicate effort.

don't know, I suggest you to ask it at the developers list
RE: Possible new features for Mythgallery [ In reply to ]
How about the ability to play video snippets as though they were
pictures... in other words, the slideshow runs as usual but mixed in are
little pieces of your home videos that run for their duration before the
next picture is displayed. You could even capture the video with Myth
and your camcorder.

Joe

Re: Possible new features for Mythgallery [ In reply to ]
I would welcome it if I could select a black background when displaying
photos (instead of a partially visible themebackground).

Philippe

Re: Possible new features for Mythgallery [ In reply to ]
FYI there's a bug in mythgallery (I think)

If you have pictures in a dir and also directories in that dir when you
go into single picture mode you get a blank in the slideshow for each
directory that is in the main one. (does that make sense?)

I've been planning on fixing it, just ain't found that round tuit yet.

:D

Re: Possible new features for Mythgallery [ In reply to ]
> > 4. Transition effects (fade, wipe, etc)

Maybe you already know, but I forget to mention that imagemagick
(http://www.imagemagick.org) has many of this features.
It does also a lot of other things, don't know if its possible to take some of
them without introducing new dependencies (which would be a lot better)... if
it has, then might be a good idea to be optional?
RE: Possible new features for Mythgallery [ In reply to ]
RE: Possible new features for Mythgallery [ In reply to ]
This might already be in there so forgive me if it's not, but it would
be usefull to support either:

a) embedded thumbnails.

I'll use the F-word now: Freevo does this and it speeds op the display
of thumnail images enormously.

b) store imagelist in the database like MythMusic and MythVideo are
doing

It would be even more usefull if the thumbnails are stored in the
database as well.
At this moment MythGallery is next to useless for my collection of over
4000 digital photos because the latest 2000 or so are from a 6Mpixel
camera and it takes too much time to display the thumbnails to be
usefull.

Like I said, some of this might already be there, but the net effect is
that for me its too slow, so anything that would really speed up the
thumbnail/image showing would be a big improvement!

Cheers,
-Tako

PS: On a sorta related but far less important note: wouldn't it be nice
if the GUIs would be more similar? I kinda like the way MythMusic shows
it stuff and even the tree view for its playlist would be preferrable
over the current "explorer"-like view for the image gallery IMHO.

Now to convince people to make MythMusic and MythVideo more similar as
well *hint* *hint* ;-)

And let's get rid of the Setup buttons from the main parts of every GUI
as well, I don't want others who don't understand what they're doing
messing with my settings.

Re: Possible new features for Mythgallery [ In reply to ]
From: "Ramon Roca" <ramon.roca@xcomb
>> So a question for the list: Are there any other
>> features I could add to mythgallery?
>
>ability to "rotate" the pictures ;)

Have you tried hitting '[' and ']' in the
single view?

I missed that one too until I dug into
the code. I don't have those keys mapped to
my remote either.

Maybe I should add re-mappable keys to the list :)

-Dennis

http://calendar.yahoo.com
Re: Possible new features for Mythgallery [ In reply to ]
> Have you tried hitting '[' and ']' in the
> single view?
>
> I missed that one too until I dug into
> the code. I don't have those keys mapped to
> my remote either.

oh thanks, i didn't knew about this ;)
about the keys, yes, regardless if I think or not that maybe the arrows could
me more intuitive, i can't either introduce irxevents for []| to lirc, well,
the events are there, but the program reads `+ and 1 respectively. And the
yeyboard need a double key pressing which is certainly not comfortable. In the
meantime that this is also improved, if anybody knows a workaround i will
appreciate it, if not, either key remapping or add new key bindings
Re: Possible new features for Mythgallery [ In reply to ]
How about the ability to scroll an image. For instance, I have a bunch
of comics, and some of them are a lot taller than they are wide, and it
scales it to fit the screen height so I can't read them. The number keys
could scroll. 8 goes up, 2 down, 4 left, 6 right.

Joel Feenstra

RE: Possible new features for Mythgallery [ In reply to ]
From: "Tako Schotanus" <quintesse@palacio-cristal.com>
>PS: On a sorta related but far less important note:
>wouldn't it be nice
>if the GUIs would be more similar? I kinda like the
>way MythMusic shows
>it stuff and even the tree view for its playlist
would >be preferrable
>over the current "explorer"-like view for the image
>gallery IMHO.

I'm not sure I follow. My pics are named
DCP_0137, DCP_0389, etc and I have to look at
the pics to see what's what, so the more I can
see at one time, the better.

>And let's get rid of the Setup buttons from the main
>parts of every GUI
>as well, I don't want others who don't understand
what >they're doing
>messing with my settings.

I'm with you on this one. I made my setup page
mapped to the setup key on my remote accessible from
the icon view. In mythgallery, it seemed like
this made more sense than putting up an onscreen
setup button because you might want to change
SlideshowDelay fairly often and there aren't that
many options to change (at least for now).

After doing some triage, my current list is

1. Ability to enter slideshow mode from icon view
2. Store settings in mysql instead of .txt file
3. Graphical dialog to change aforementioned
settings
4. Bugfix - quit trying to display directory icons
in single view
5. Generate thumbs (icons) only once instead of on
the fly
6. Tool to import images from removable devices
7. Selectable backgrounds
8. Transition effects (fade, wipe, etc)
9. Option to scroll images with non-4:3 aspect
10. Remappable keybindings
11. Video snippets

I have finished the first 4 and am working on #5.

-Dennis

http://calendar.yahoo.com
Re: Possible new features for Mythgallery [ In reply to ]
You're right about the icons ofcourse, I got fooled because my first
directory is only filled with folders, so the screen was filled with
folder incons (which are not the most beatifull maybe, but he, I'm no
artist either ;-). So forget about that request.

But the GUI could still be made to look a little more like the others.
Maybe by putting the same kind of frame around the screen?

Another thing I forgot to mention last time is that long names don't
wrap. And I order my photos in folders which start with the date I took
them and after that a description so almost the only thing I see is lots
of folders with dates without being able to determine what they contain :-)

And how about being able to have more than one "source" directory? (I
would very much like to have that option for ALL the myth applications!
(well maybe not necessary for TV))

Cheers,
-Tako