Mailing List Archive

New to MythTV, want to build it out....
I would love to build myself a MythTV box. The problem is I can't
seem to find any list of working configurations and setups. I look at one
post that suggests the Hauppauge PVR 250, the next post says it won't
work, etc.. Same deal for video out solutions... "Some old nvidia cards
are supported" is a pretty sub par bit of documentation...

I would love to know what setups people have actually got
working right, ideally the whole thing - this is my case, my mobo, my ram,
my video, I'm using/not using onboard audio, etc. That way I can replicate
that machine to a T, and rest assured that with the proper amount of
fiddling I can get it to work. I've seen numerous posts of "Yea I had to
ditch the card, I couldn't get it to work". I'd like to avoid that.

If anyone here has built a relatively low cost mythtv and would be
willing to share what they've put in it I'd greatly appreciate it. If you
could be specific on the pvr card and the video card that would be great.

Ideally, I'd like to eventually build whatever that person put
together and document everything I did start to finish. From the install
of the os, to compiling, configuring, testing - a howto that could take
someone who wants to build a mythtv from scratch from "I've got a blank
disk" to "I'm watching DIVX flicks off the network". If a document like
this exists, please point me to it. I've looked but haven't found
anything very detailed. Just wide steps (which is fine, until you run into
a snag).

thanks
cos
Re: New to MythTV, want to build it out.... [ In reply to ]
At 03:28 PM 6/8/2003 -0500, Cosimo Leipold wrote:
> I would love to build myself a MythTV box. The problem is I can't
>seem to find any list of working configurations and setups. I look at one
>post that suggests the Hauppauge PVR 250, the next post says it won't
>work, etc.. Same deal for video out solutions... "Some old nvidia cards
>are supported" is a pretty sub par bit of documentation...

If you look at the list archives for the past few days, you will see some
references to a database of configurations that someone maintains ... not
specific to MythTV, but oriented toward video-capture-and-playback systems.

Because I do not think that database is quite complete for your purposes,
here is the configuration I am running:

Hardware:

Celeron 1.7 GHz on Gigabit Titan P4 mobo
(onboard sound disabled in BIOS)
256 MB PC133 RAM
system on old 8 GB hard disk as hda
vidcap to 180 GB WD hard disk as hdc
nVidia GeForce4 MX440-SE AGP Video Card with TV-out
AverTV "Desktop TV PVR" card (the newer one, that does NOT have
the SONY daughterboard - this is a slipstreamed change so I don't know how
better to identify it)
Soundblaster16 PCI sound card
Linksys NIC (tulip chip)
some old keyboard, mouse, and speakers
black desktop case with 300W, P4-ready P/S
display to a small (13") and old TV-style monitor

Software:
Debian-Sid
prepackaged Myth .deb packages
alsa sound modules
nVidia's proprietary X driver
kernel 2.4.19, compiled locallt from Debian kernel-source package

MythTV set at defaults except:
capturing NTSC, us-cable frequency set
using MPEG4 encoding
varying capture resolution (see below)

Problems with this configuration:

1. Watch out for the AverTV card. The one I described works fine, but older
ones (with the daughterboard) failed (or caused the bttv driver to fail)
about once every 2 days.

2. This system cannot quite keep up with "live" TV at the default 480x480
resolution. At 320x240 it works very nicely and seems to work fine.

When run as a Myth host, I have only used these systems locally, that is,
watching "live" or pre-recorded TV on the same system that does or did the
capture. Using different capture software (vcr/avifile), I've captured DivX
video that I've been able to access remotely (via Samba), edit on a Win2K
host using VirtualDub, and watch on the same Win2K host.

I have a second system that matches this one except for the hard disks
(which are a bit smaller) and the video card, a nVidia GeForce2 GTS 64 MB
DDR 4x AGP Video w/TV-out. This one also works well, though I like the
video card a tiny bit less (not for Myth reasons but because it does not
activate TV-out on its own to show the boot/init sequence).

Is this specific enough for you? Is there additional information you would
like to see (if yes, be specific)? I don't have prices at hand, but I think
this system could be built today for about $400. (I didn't pay for the
case, though, so that estimate might involve substituting a cheaper case.)

Re:New to MythTV, want to build it out.... [ In reply to ]
At 03:28 PM 6/8/2003 -0500, Cosimo Leipold wrote:
> I would love to build myself a MythTV box. The problem is I can't
>seem to find any list of working configurations and setups. I look at one
>post that suggests the Hauppauge PVR 250, the next post says it won't
>work, etc.. Same deal for video out solutions... "Some old nvidia cards
>are supported" is a pretty sub par bit of documentation...

There's a good hardware database on this site.

http://pvrhw.goldfish.org/

There isn't a good explanation of what the "Rating" column is or where that
number comes from on that site. From comments elsewhere on this mailing list
I learned that larger ratings are better than small ones.

Have Fun!

Brian B.
Re: New to MythTV, want to build it out.... [ In reply to ]
Right now (although im changing the case)
case: midsize tower
MB: ASUS 550Mhz Bus
CPU: Pentium IV 1.8 Ghz
Memory: 786 Megs
HD: 80 Gig Western Digital (soon to be 200 gig)
Video: ATI 9500 PRO 128 MB (no TV OUT)
Tuner: Huappauge PVR-250 (with grey remote)
Audio: using onboard audio
CDRW: Dont know. bought it cheap at a computer show
No Floppy

OS: Redhat 9.0 / Windows XP
Kernel: 2.4.20-19

Does that help?

Re: New to MythTV, want to build it out.... [ In reply to ]
On Sunday, Jun 8, Cosimo Leipold wrote:

>> I would love to build myself a MythTV box. The problem is I can't
>> seem to find any list of working configurations and setups. I look at
>> one
>> post that suggests the Hauppauge PVR 250, the next post says it won't
>> work, etc.. Same deal for video out solutions... "Some old nvidia
>> cards
>> are supported" is a pretty sub par bit of documentation...

Read this:

I'm using a PVR-250 just fine right now, as are many other people. My
specific hardware, and a step-by-step guide can be found at the above
link.
--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
<jcw@wilsonet.com>