http://www.jameswhite.org Caffeine is my anti-drug.
How many people have to die before we put an end to dying altogether?
-- theonion.com
Re: mythbackend will only run as root [ In reply to ]
On my Debian system, the /dev/(audio|video|etc..) are all symbolic links
to real devices. I.e. /dev/audio is a link to /dev/audio0. Make sure
you have the permissions on those files set correctly too.

IF

--
Isaac W. Foraker, Software Engineer
http://tazthecat.net/~isaac/
Re: mythbackend will only run as root [ In reply to ]
At 07:49 PM 6/5/2003 -0500, James S. White wrote:
>What do I have to do to get mythbackend to be able to run out of the init
>script? If I run mythtv (by itsefl or from mythfrontend) it crashes
>mythbackend unless it was started as root. I have added mythtv to the
>audio and video groups and chmoded 666 /dev/(audio|video|dsp|mixer)

I saw something quite similar here today. I started up a Myth box (combined
frontend/backend), logged in asn mythtv, and started mythfrontend. Trying
to watch "live" TV caused mythbackend to die and mythfrontend to appear to
hang (though I could kill it with a ^C in the xterm window I started it from).

Several attempts to restart mythbackend using the init script all ended the
same way. What finally "fixed" things was some aspect of this sequence:

/etc/init.d/mythbackend stop
open an xterm and su
start mythbackend from the xterm
start mythfrontend (as mythtv) from another xterm
do Myth-like things, including watching "live" TV
from the xterm, exit mythfrontend
from the xterm, exit mythbackend
/etc/init.d/mythbackend restart
start mythfrontend from an xterm

Now everything (well, "live" TV, anyway) works with no trouble.

Never saw any error messages anywhere.

My system is at least similar to yours (it matches in every aspect of yours
that you described). I never tried starting mythfrontend as root, though.

I doubt this recap offers any real hints ... it certainly suggests none to
me ... but I report it in case someone smarter than me is reading this.
Re: mythbackend will only run as root [ In reply to ]
Changing permission on the symbolic link propagates the change to the
linked device. What devices does MythTV nee access too? Maybe I missed one.

James S. White GAPS Incorporated
james@gapsinc.com Electrical Engineer - Etc.