Mailing List Archive

Re: Going wireless/diskless, and some assorted
Hi all

I am new to MythTV and unfamiliar with the resources the it would demand of the
back and front end, but I am very familiar with 802.11, and I think that
bandwidth could be the least of your problems.

The construction of consumer access points is usually pretty light duty.
Frequently they are merely two PCMCIA cards with external antennas and some
supporting circuits. As a result, they tend to get very warm and shut down if
the load is too high.

With my SMC Router/AP/Hub (AWBR7004) it will shut down if I stream video or
MP3s for any longer than 10 or so minutes. I suspect you would need to use it
longer than that. Having said that, this may be something specific to the
design of the SMC product, and how I'm using it(connected 24/7 serving several
active web sites).

If you want to use wireless (and I sure do), I would stick with an
enterprise-grade product, or use 10/100baseT wired. In any cse wired
connections will always be faster than wireless, so pulling wire would offer
sometning with a longer life as you needs evolve.

I'm curious how you make out with this. Could you let me, and maybe the list,
know how you make out?

(another)Victor
Re: Re: Going wireless/diskless, and some assorted [ In reply to ]