You think this would work? Anybody using one of these?

thx,
Matt
Re: Kworld TV card and 878 chipset questions [ In reply to ]
Matt wrote:
> I came across this card:
>
> http://www.softwareandstuff.com/misc_keyturnr.html
>
> I emailed the company and they said the part # is KW-TV878RF-PRO and
> that it uses the "conexant 878A" chip. Is this this the same
> as/compatible with the bt878?
> You think this would work? Anybody using one of these?

Yes, it should work, my Leadtek Winfast TV 2000 XP Deluxe (what a crappy
name) has a Conexant 878A too, and it works fine with bttv. I don't know
about the tuner, though. If it's too new, it might not be supported. If
it doesn't work, you can still return it :) But I don't think it'll happen.

Pete
Re: Kworld TV card and 878 chipset questions [ In reply to ]
This is offtopic, but ....

Matt wrote:

> I emailed the company and they said the part # is KW-TV878RF-PRO and
> that it uses the "conexant 878A" chip. Is this this the same
> as/compatible with the bt878?
> You think this would work? Anybody using one of these?

As Pierre-Oliver said, more interesting than the video capture chip is
the tuner. conexant 878A = bt878a, so these are supported, but the tuner
may not be, not sure about the audio.

Check the file Documentation/video4linux/bttv/CARDLIST in the Linux
kernel source. There you'll have a list of concrete models which are
known to work. If the vendor didn't change the parts without renaming it
product. I can't see any Kworld models there. But you'll also find a
list of tuner models (see above) there.

Also search the web. '"product name" Linux' is a good Google query.

Your safest best is to just ask the vendor, if the card is supported
under Linux. Buy it only, if they say (eh, write) yes. Then you have
legal protection.
Re: Kworld TV card and 878 chipset questions [ In reply to ]
Ben Bucksch wrote:

> Your safest best is to just ask the vendor, if the card is supported
> under Linux. Buy it only, if they say (eh, write) yes. Then you have
> legal protection.

Or maybe better, have him write and sign a paper saying he'll take the
part back and pay you back fully, without fees, if it doesn't work. I'd
feel even safer with that.

Pete