so I'm not a complete newbie.

But, what is the best distribution of Linux if I'm ONLY going to use the
machine for Myth TV and the hardware I've mentioned?
Re: What's the best linux distribution if I'm ONLY using Myth TV? [ In reply to ]
John Klimek wrote:
> I've used Linux before (RedHat, Slackware, and something else but I forget)
> so I'm not a complete newbie.
>
> But, what is the best distribution of Linux if I'm ONLY going to use the
> machine for Myth TV and the hardware I've mentioned?

I like to use Gentoo, because it lets me have only what I want and need
installed, and doesn't force anything on me when installing... but
really, any distro can work well, the only important thing is that
you're comfortable administering it.

Pete
Re: What's the best linux distribution if I'm ONLY using Myth TV? [ In reply to ]
Is Gentoo easy to use and setup?

I'd probably like to the use the one that easiest to setup and use...

Also, with an Athlon 750 MHz work ok for MythTV?

Re: What's the best linux distribution if I'm ONLY using Myth TV? [ In reply to ]
John Klimek wrote:

> Is Gentoo easy to use and setup?
>
> I'd probably like to the use the one that easiest to setup and use...
>
> Also, with an Athlon 750 MHz work ok for MythTV?

What TV card do you intend to use with that Athlon?

With a bttv card (ATI TV-Wonder, Hauppauge WinTV-GO, etc...), you won't
be able to get very good quality/resolution recordings with Mpeg-4
encoding, your CPU won't be able to keep up; I'm not sure how Rtjpeg
would turn out, though.

But, if you use a PVR-250 card (hardware encoding Tv-card), it'll be
good (maybe great? I don't use one yet), and the CPU will only really be
used when playing back something. It's a bit more work to setup, and
sometimes it still has a few little problems, though; but lots of people
use them without too much trouble, and seem happy with the card.

Pete
Re: What's the best linux distribution if I'm ONLY using Myth TV? [ In reply to ]
John Klimek wrote:

>Is Gentoo easy to use and setup?
>
>I'd probably like to the use the one that easiest to setup and use...
>
>Also, with an Athlon 750 MHz work ok for MythTV?

Distributions like RedHat and Mandrake seem to be the easiest to set up
and use. Gentoo requires some set up. It's not difficult, but it's not
out-of-the-box. Also, everything you install will need to be compiled,
as Gentoo doesn't natively support binary packages. Gentoo has its own
"portage" system, where packages you want will be automatically
compiled, and optimized for your processor.