Mailing List Archive

Window focus problem with KDE & clock offset glitch?
I dont know what I have done recently but this problem did not spring
up until about a month ago, well into a month of me using mythtv.

The problem I was having was after live tv was exited using the remote
(linked to the "esc" button) mythtv front end would lose focus. The
only way I could regain it was by plugging back in my mouse and
clicking on the window. This wasn't too big of a problem as I usually
just view recorded shows.

A few weeks ago I had to reset mythtv and out of some stroke of poking
around luck, some combination of I dont know what got this working
again. It worked fine, until tonight.

Another problem I've been having is that my clock will jump ahead what
seems to be 10-20 seconds each day, so within the few weeks since I
have played with it last the clock has now advanced 4 minutes (which
is a problem when catching the end of shows as they are now getting
cut off). The only reason I ever plug in a keyboard or have to
restart myth front end is when I go in and reconfigure the clock. I
usually do this by changing to the TV guide channel and setting the
clock to that (which locks up mythfrontend, but I kinda expect that
because of the systems time changing). This is why I need to restart
mythfrontend every few weeks.

However, tonight when I fixed the clock I am having the focus problem
again. KDE's window focus settings are on "Click to focus". Now I
lose focus when exiting a prerecorded show and when exiting livetv.
Basically at this point the remote is useless. I have reloaded
mythfrontend and irxevent several times and just messed around with
focus settings but I have not accomplished anything. I don't know
what I can do to fix these problems.

If anyone has any ideas to fix the focus problem or clock problem
please let me know. I am pretty new to linux so if you could simplify
an explaination that would be great. Thanks for the help!

-Derek
Re: Window focus problem with KDE & clock offset glitch? [ In reply to ]
grozio@buffalo.edu wrote:

><snip>
>
>Another problem I've been having is that my clock will jump ahead what
>seems to be 10-20 seconds each day, so within the few weeks since I
>have played with it last the clock has now advanced 4 minutes (which
>is a problem when catching the end of shows as they are now getting
>cut off). The only reason I ever plug in a keyboard or have to
>restart myth front end is when I go in and reconfigure the clock. I
>usually do this by changing to the TV guide channel and setting the
>clock to that (which locks up mythfrontend, but I kinda expect that
>because of the systems time changing). This is why I need to restart
>mythfrontend every few weeks.

Due to the inaccuracy of computer clocks, most network-connected
machines use NTP to keep their clocks current. You didn't provide any
details about your Linux distribution, but it almost certainly has an
NTP package (perhaps already installed), or you can compile from the
source code at http://www.ntp.org/

Re: Window focus problem with KDE & clock offset glitch? [ In reply to ]
Using Mandrake 9.0 disro.

Thanks I'll have to check out the NTP thing. If it is not
preinstalled on mandrake, can I use urpmi to install it? Which command
would it be? Thanks.

-Derek

Re: Window focus problem with KDE & clock offset glitch? [ In reply to ]
Well, this is not really a solution to your problem, but I would
seriously consider trying out blackbox as your window manager. It's
lightweight and it solved my focus problems. I'm seriously considering
using blackbox as the WM on my workstation as well. I probably would
have used it in the past but I had never heard of it before I started
playing with Myth.