Mailing List Archive

Mpeg4 Decoding Cpu Requirements
I just finished turning my xbox into a mythtv frontend
and I have been sorely disappointed with it. To make
the story short ... it just doesn't seem to have
enough power to decode my mpeg4 recordings fast
enough.

I did some searching in the archives and found a
number of threads in which the requirements for
decoding are mentioned, but not the real topic, so I
thought I'd reach out and see what experiences others
have had. I am really only interested in
decoding/playback of a single recording, not
simultaneous encoding/decoding, etc. And this is most
relevant when talking about the requirements of a
frontend only box.

My recording settings right now are ...
640x480 mpeg4 w/ bitrate 4500 and max/min quality at
1/7 respectively. Audio is mp3 at quality level 4.

These playback on the encoding machine(p4 2.4) with
absolutely great quality. I usually playback over a
100mbit network on an Athalon 1.2 machine. This is
normally fine, but from time to time there are jitters
and ghosting (possibly recording probs). And on my
xbox (pIII 733) the playback is practically
unwatchable. There are obvious frame drops and other
problems during playback.

So ... after all that the simple question is what are
the requirements for decoding mpeg4 videos with my
settings or similar? Also, is mpeg2 easier to decode?

Cheers.

--Allen