Ian Forde, RHCE, CCSE, SCNA, SCDME
CYTBeN, Inc.
ian@duckland.org / ian@cytben.com
Re: Removing scheduled recordings [ In reply to ]
I second this request - this would be a great usability improvement,
IMHO.

== Steve

Re: Removing scheduled recordings [ In reply to ]
At 11:21 PM 5/25/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>I second this request - this would be a great usability improvement,
>IMHO.

I was enjoying many shows on my Myth box this morning and as I was looking
at upcoming recordings I was also left desiring this feature. I'll third
that vote.

-Jeff

Re: Removing scheduled recordings [ In reply to ]
I just committed a way to do this into CVS, so if you're running CVS you
can re-update and give it a shot.

On the Fix Scheduling Conflicts screen, you now have a couple new
features/options. You can now hit the 'I' key to bring up the normal
recording scheduling dialog screen that allows you to specify whether
to record the show once, every day, etc.. This dialog will also pop
up if you hit Enter or Space on a scheduled recording that has no
conflicts and is not suppressed.

The feature you're asking for has also been added. If you hit Enter
or Space on a suppressed recording, on the popup dialog there is now
a new button in addition to the 'OK' button that was originally there.
The new button says "Unsuppress recording". Selecting the
"Unsuppress recording" button will remove the row from the oldrecorded
table that is causing this program to be suppressed. The screen
should update and show you the new status of the program that you
just changed.

> Is there any way to remove scheduled recordings from the "fix conflicts"
> screen? It seems that going through the Program Finder is more than a
> little cumbersome. I'm thinking about something along the lines of
> Tivo's TODO list ability to look at what's going to be recorded, and
> selectively delete some items from the list without having to go to
> every show's TODO list in Program Finder...

Chris
Re: Removing scheduled recordings [ In reply to ]
Just realized I replied to the right messages (one here and one in the
-dev list) but had my comments backwards. You're more interested in
the 'I' key functionality from the fix conflicts screen rather than
the unsuppress recording functionality. Anyway, the feature should
be in CVS now, so give it a shot.

Re: Removing scheduled recordings [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2003-05-26 at 11:49, Chris Pinkham wrote:
> I just committed a way to do this into CVS, so if you're running CVS you
> can re-update and give it a shot.
>
> On the Fix Scheduling Conflicts screen, you now have a couple new
> features/options. You can now hit the 'I' key to bring up the normal
> recording scheduling dialog screen that allows you to specify whether
> to record the show once, every day, etc.. This dialog will also pop
> up if you hit Enter or Space on a scheduled recording that has no
> conflicts and is not suppressed.

Hmmm... I just upgraded to CVS (surprisingly easy, thank you!) and tried
it out. It turns out that if it's a scheduled recording, and I say
"don't record this program", it removes all instances of the show. Not
exactly ideal! The ability to do per-instance removals of scheduled
recordings would do it...

__________________________________
Re: Removing scheduled recordings [ In reply to ]
> > On the Fix Scheduling Conflicts screen, you now have a couple new
> > features/options. You can now hit the 'I' key to bring up the normal
> > recording scheduling dialog screen that allows you to specify whether

> Hmmm... I just upgraded to CVS (surprisingly easy, thank you!) and tried
> it out. It turns out that if it's a scheduled recording, and I say
> "don't record this program", it removes all instances of the show. Not
> exactly ideal! The ability to do per-instance removals of scheduled

That's intended functionality. You're not editing that particular instance
of a show, you're editing the recording record. The functionality you're
describing will come later I believe once we get a more advanced recording
screen with options for things such as setting the recording profile for
a given scheduled item (ie, the ability to tell Myth to record a particular
movie with a high-res profile while setting up the daily "Trading Spaces"
recording for a low resolution, low-bitrate profile).

Chris
Re: Removing scheduled recordings [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2003-05-26 at 19:53, Chris Pinkham wrote:
> > > On the Fix Scheduling Conflicts screen, you now have a couple new
> > > features/options. You can now hit the 'I' key to bring up the normal
> > > recording scheduling dialog screen that allows you to specify whether
>
> > Hmmm... I just upgraded to CVS (surprisingly easy, thank you!) and tried
> > it out. It turns out that if it's a scheduled recording, and I say
> > "don't record this program", it removes all instances of the show. Not
> > exactly ideal! The ability to do per-instance removals of scheduled
>
> That's intended functionality. You're not editing that particular instance
> of a show, you're editing the recording record. The functionality you're
> describing will come later I believe once we get a more advanced recording
> screen with options for things such as setting the recording profile for
> a given scheduled item (ie, the ability to tell Myth to record a particular
> movie with a high-res profile while setting up the daily "Trading Spaces"
> recording for a low resolution, low-bitrate profile).

Hmmm... except that the particular piece of functionality I'm describing
already exists in the Program Finder screen, so it's not *really*
something new... or is it?

-I
--
__________________________________
Re: Removing scheduled recordings [ In reply to ]
> > That's intended functionality. You're not editing that particular instance
> > of a show, you're editing the recording record. The functionality you're

> Hmmm... except that the particular piece of functionality I'm describing
> already exists in the Program Finder screen, so it's not *really*
> something new... or is it?

I don't believe you can go into the program finder and say "Don't record
this episode of this show even though it would normally be recorded because
it matches one of my setup recordings." That functionality is being discussed
right now on one of the mailing lists but it's not currently part of the code.

Chris
Re: Removing scheduled recordings [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2003-05-26 at 20:40, Chris Pinkham wrote:
> I don't believe you can go into the program finder and say "Don't record
> this episode of this show even though it would normally be recorded because
> it matches one of my setup recordings." That functionality is being discussed
> right now on one of the mailing lists but it's not currently part of the code.

Mmmm... I couldn't do it in today's CVS version, but I'm pretty sure it
was part of the 0.8 version. Wait - I just checked. You're right - I
was mistaken. Sorry about that... it turns out that I can record
one-off episodes, but I can't flag exceptions (unless they could somehow
be flagged as sort-of-conflicts and thus removed from the list...)

Ah well... funny thing is, this would be a pretty good feature
(especially considering the side of recordings and the need to conserve
disk space until I can get a higher capacity drive...) Classic example
would be wanting to exclude some (or all) episodes of show marathons,
while still getting the ones you want to watch...

Is it a days-, weeks-, or months-to implementation issue?

Incidentally, is expiring old recordings after a certain age threshold
part of the TODO list?

-I
--
__________________________________
Re: Removing scheduled recordings [ In reply to ]
Ian Forde wrote:

>Incidentally, is expiring old recordings after a certain age threshold
>part of the TODO list?

I guess that would be pretty easy, something like a single SQL statement
in mythfilldatabase or something else that runs regularily. You can even
do it manually (something like
DELETE * FROM oldrecorded WHERE starttime < '2003-03-01'
- but take care and run a SELECT first!)

Ben
Re: Removing scheduled recordings [ In reply to ]
> Ah well... funny thing is, this would be a pretty good feature
> (especially considering the side of recordings and the need to conserve
> disk space until I can get a higher capacity drive...) Classic example
> would be wanting to exclude some (or all) episodes of show marathons,
> while still getting the ones you want to watch...
>
> Is it a days-, weeks-, or months-to implementation issue?

Not sure of a timeline, I think ideas are still being tossed around.

> Incidentally, is expiring old recordings after a certain age threshold
> part of the TODO list?

Someone is currently working on auto-delete functionality that can
delete programs automatically to make sure you don't fill up your
hard drive. :)

Chris
Re:Removing scheduled recordings [ In reply to ]
QUOTE:
=============
"Don't record this episode of this show even though it would normally
be recorded because it matches one of my setup recordings."
==============

Chris,
I hope that this doesn't get implemented--if I have to read that line
one more time I will get a massive hemorrhage.

Alex
Re: Re:Removing scheduled recordings [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2003-05-27 at 09:49, Alexander P. Petkov wrote:
> QUOTE:
> =============
> "Don't record this episode of this show even though it would normally
> be recorded because it matches one of my setup recordings."
> ==============
>
> Chris,
> I hope that this doesn't get implemented--if I have to read that line
> one more time I will get a massive hemorrhage.

It does look more than a little confusing, but let's give a real-world
example. You're just starting to get into a TV show - let's say... Law
& Order. And you've seen maybe a dozen episodes. You set mythtv to
record the show whenever it's on, on any channel. So each and every
episode matches one of your setup recordings.

Now - let's say you've been doing this for a while, so you've seen your
fair share of episodes.

So now, you want to be able to not watch episodes you've already seen.
MythTV can't tell you what you've seen over the course of your life,
only you can. So telling it not to record a particular episode on the
Scheduled Recordings is what you'd normally do, right?

Which is how you tell the MythTV to "don't record this episode of this
show (even though it would normally be recorded because it matches one
of my setup recordings.)" Note that parentheses have been added to
clarify what the "because..." covers...

-I

P.S. - Please don't hemorrhage on the list!
--
__________________________________
Re: Re:Removing scheduled recordings [ In reply to ]
> QUOTE:
> =============
> "Don't record this episode of this show even though it would normally
> be recorded because it matches one of my setup recordings."
> ==============
>
> Chris,
> I hope that this doesn't get implemented--if I have to read that line
> one more time I will get a massive hemorrhage.
>
> Alex

<sarcasm>
I put it in quotes because that is the exact verbage that will be on the
new button. We did a survey on the mailing list months ago and it was
the clearest and most consise wording according to 95% of the list's
subscribers. :)

We're also looking into adding support for the "I think I might like to
record this show but I'm not sure but if I have storage space available
and I'm not watching LiveTV and not there's at least 2 free recorders
and it's not Friday night between 8pm and 11pm then go ahead and
record it" button. This might take a little longer though, just because
we have to type in that whole long description.
</sarcam>

I think a hemorhage is what caused me to come up with the description you
quoted to begin with. :)

Chris
Re: Re:Removing scheduled recordings [ In reply to ]
Chris Pinkham wrote:
> <sarcasm>
> I put it in quotes because that is the exact verbage that will be on the
> new button...
> </sarcam>

Yet, you introduced "Unsupress recording" into the interface
rather than simply saying "Record this episode". However I
didn't have a hemorhage because of this ;-).

-- bjm