under KDE and I'm using a Mandrake9 distro. AFTER the thing logs in, I
can type:
. .bash_profile
and everything loads up and runs just fine, I just can't seem to get it to
launch automatically.

Anyone have some pointers?

Thanks!
Jeremy
Re: Autostart irxevent and mythfrontend? [ In reply to ]
Try setting the display in the script that you use to start these
programs. If you are starting them on boot they won't know what display
to use. Try putting

export DISPLAY=localhost:0

at the beginning of the script you are using to start the programs.

Re: Autostart irxevent and mythfrontend? [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the advice, but it still doesn't seem to want to work. Is
irxevent/irexec DISPLAY specific?

Jeremy

Re: Autostart irxevent and mythfrontend? [ In reply to ]
Thanks Ken!

I had actually just stumbled upon this (after doing a Google search and
finding a Mandrake site that explained it).

Thanks for the tip off. And now it works :)

Jeremy

Re: Autostart irxevent and mythfrontend? [ In reply to ]
Dont s'pose u have a link to that site. Just trying to get this working
myself.

Thanks
Justin

Re: Autostart irxevent and mythfrontend? [ In reply to ]
You should create a .Xclients file that looks like this:

#!/bin/bash

#Start a window manager
blackbox &
#Start the IR event server
/usr/local/bin/irxevent &

#Start MythTV
/usr/local/bin/mythfrontend > ~/mythfrontend.log 2>&1

--Ken

Quoting Jeremy Oddo <joddo@apixels.net>:

> Thanks for the advice, but it still doesn't seem to want to work. Is
> irxevent/irexec DISPLAY specific?
>
> Jeremy
>
> Eni Gma said:
> > Try setting the display in the script that you use to start these
> > programs. If you are starting them on boot they won't know what display
> > to use. Try putting
> >
> > export DISPLAY=localhost:0
> >
> > at the beginning of the script you are using to start the programs.
> >
> > Jeremy Oddo wrote:
> >
> >>Hi all--
> >>
> >>I've got my Myth box just about dialed in...BUT... :(
> >>
> >>I'm trying to get irexec, irxevent, and mythfrontend to start upon
> >> bootup (or login) but I'm not having much luck. I got mythbackend to
> >> start via /etc/init.d/rc.# and lircd starts under rc.local but for some
> >> reason irexec, irxevent, and mythfrontend won't start up. I've tried
> >> putting them in rc.local and even in my .bash_profile. I'm using
> >> "autologin" under KDE and I'm using a Mandrake9 distro. AFTER the
> >> thing logs in, I can type:
> >>. .bash_profile
> >>and everything loads up and runs just fine, I just can't seem to get it
> >> to launch automatically.
> >>
> >>Anyone have some pointers?
> >>
> >>Thanks!
> >>Jeremy

Ken VanDine
biZrace Inc.
http://www.biZrace.com
kvandine@biZrace.com
Re: Autostart irxevent and mythfrontend? [ In reply to ]
Justin Hunt said:
> Dont s'pose u have a link to that site. Just trying to get this working
> myself.

Sho' nuff. I just did a google for "kde autostart mandrake" and got:
http://www.mandrakeforum.com/print.php?sid=2238

That said, I just realized that it's NOT working the way I want :( It
seems that it doesn't autologin anymore. I'm greeted by the login window.
After I log in, everything launches the way it should. So, I'm still
working on it.

If you get any where, let me know!

Jeremy
Re: Autostart irxevent and mythfrontend? [ In reply to ]
Well.. i am close... except for the part that myth crashes now when i watch
tv... i have it auto logging into kde, after that point, i put a file called
start into the .kde/Autostart folder it contains
#!/bin/bash
/usr/local/bin/mythbackend &
/usr/local/bin/mythfrontend

after i chmod+x that file and it starts it... but now for some reason myth
freaks when i hit watch tv... ... ill keep you posted if i get it to wokr...
gonna try and redirect its output somehow... (its possible .. but im a newb
so blah)

Justin

Re: Autostart irxevent and mythfrontend? [ In reply to ]
Hmm... looks like its workin fine... just takes a little time to startup?
regardless its workin fine now just hafta let it think for 2-3 minutes after
login...

Re: Autostart irxevent and mythfrontend? [ In reply to ]
Justin Hunt said:
> Well.. i am close... except for the part that myth crashes now when i
> watch tv... i have it auto logging into kde, after that point, i put a
> file called start into the .kde/Autostart folder it contains
> #!/bin/bash
> /usr/local/bin/mythbackend &
> /usr/local/bin/mythfrontend
>
> after i chmod+x that file and it starts it... but now for some reason
> myth freaks when i hit watch tv... ... ill keep you posted if i get it
> to wokr... gonna try and redirect its output somehow...

Do something like this:

/usr/local/bin/mythfrontend > ~/mythfrontend.log 2>&1

After checking my redirect file, I got this:

QSqlDatabase warning: QMYSQL3 driver not loaded
QSqlDatabase: available drivers:
QSqlDatabase warning: QMYSQL3 driver not loaded
QSqlDatabase: available drivers:
Unable to open database:
Driver error was:
Driver not loaded
Database error was:
Driver not loaded

NOW, using the excellent searchable archives at
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/mailarc/gforum.cgi, I got some more
information that got me on the right path. The thread that helped me is:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/mailarc/gforum.cgi?post=50174;search_string=QSqlDatabase%20warning%3A%20QMYSQL3%20driver%20not%20loaded;guest=526270&t=search_engine#50174

Anyway, seems I need to add "export QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt3" at the top of your
script! I also need to put a "sleep 10" after launching mythbackend and
before mythfrontend.

Works great now :)

Jeremy
Re: Autostart irxevent and mythfrontend? [ In reply to ]
Yeah .. mine is working too ... if i could only say the same for the samba
share its NOT connecting to ;)

Thanks for the help ... as soon as it realizes that the smb filesystem is
broken and it boots ill add the sleep command!

Justin

Re:Autostart irxevent and mythfrontend? [ In reply to ]
QUOTE:
---------------------
I'm trying to get irexec, irxevent, and mythfrontend to start upon
bootup
(or login).... I'm using "autologin" under KDE and I'm using a
Mandrake9 distro.
---------------------

Hi Jeremy:

It looks like you already got the help, but here it is... I also use
KDE with autologin. If I want irexec and irxevent to start
automatically, I have this in my ~/.xinitrc file:
<snip>
#
# Add your own lines here...
#
if ! (ps -u username|grep irexevent) then
{
echo "Starting irexevent..."
/usr/local/bin/irxevent /etc/lircrc&
}
else
{
echo "irexevent is already running"
}
fi

if ! (ps -u username | grep irexec) then
{
echo "Starting irexec deamon..."
/usr/local/bin/irexec -d /etc/lircrc
}
else
{
echo "irexec is already running"
}
fi
</snip>

The echo lines are useless, they don't do anything... Also if you are
gonna try this, replace "username" with your user name. For some
reason also irxevent needs to be started before irexec. On this
distro (Suse 7.3) DISPLAY and QTDIR don't need to be set, I can't
speak for any others.

Alex