that it only has an old ATA-33 ide controller that
won't be enough bandwidth for PVR-250 recordings plus
network playback at the same time. And would it be
possible to added a second PVR-250 for simultaneous
recordings + playback.

What's the weakest hardware people have been able to
get myth up and running on without problems?

http://search.yahoo.com
Re: PVR-250, weak machine, and disk speed [ In reply to ]
I'm using mine on a dual P2-450, but it has SCSI U2W drives
(80 MB/sec) in it, but It can also record 3 streams at the same time.
If you did some effective Ebay shopping,
it wouldn't take much money to upgrade.

But even if you stand put, I would think 1 card would not
saturate a standard ATA drive, but it might keep it busy.

Re: PVR-250, weak machine, and disk speed [ In reply to ]
On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 03:05:20PM -0700, Allen T. Gilliland IV wrote:
> I'm wondering if anyone has experienced limitations on
> disk speed when trying to use the PVR-250 on an older
> pc. I am about to try reusing an old PII-400 that
> doesn't have a purpose right now, but I am worried
> that it only has an old ATA-33 ide controller that
> won't be enough bandwidth for PVR-250 recordings plus
> network playback at the same time. And would it be
> possible to added a second PVR-250 for simultaneous
> recordings + playback.

You could always add a Promise ATA/100 (or better) PCI card and connect
the recording drive to that.

> What's the weakest hardware people have been able to
> get myth up and running on without problems?

My intentions are to try the PVR250 on my 'spare' PII 350 with a Promise
card.

Mike.
RE: Re: PVR-250, weak machine, and disk speed [ In reply to ]
I've got a PVR 250 in a P2 450Mhz. Capture obviously is no problem, uses
1% CPU. However the playback is stuttery and not very good. I've tried
changing resolutions but this doesn't help. I think it relates to the
bitrate that the PVR250 uses, which is locked to 16Mb/s. There is
support going into the driver to allow changing of this, and I'm sure
that MythTV will support the changing of the bit rate as soon as this is
all sorted and stable. Until then, a machine as slow as my 450 (or
slower) is no good as a replay machine.

Andy

RE: Re: PVR-250, weak machine, and disk speed [ In reply to ]
yeah ... i suspected that software decoding was a bit
too much for a weak box. However I am planning
running the frontend on a separate box over the
network, probably an xbox, so the actual decoding is
then done by the frontend machine. I am thinking that
in that case things should work alright.

Does anyone have any experience playing recordings
over the network from a weak machine like a PII 400?