I am currently putting together a Myth PVR Box, and I decided to splurge on a couple items. Let me know what you guys think about them in terms of quality and compatibility, which are both very important to me: -WinTV 401 DBX TV TUNER W/ SVideo (61381 REV D423) Chipset CN878a I'm hoping to use the remote setup that comes with this for Myth w/ LIRC. -Sound Blaster Audigy w/1394 #SB0090 or I might use my Extigy but eventually I would like to have the SPDIF working for myth, as I hear that is in the works. -Panasonic Black 16x DVDROM drive, which I would like to use as a DVD player. This is a feature request that I have for Myth by the way (I know it can be added on, but still). While on the subject, it would be awesome to have a file player in myth for divx, say if you want to put in a cd or something with preburned divx, vcd, svcd, mpg, etc. -AverMedia AverKey iMicro Scan Converter which can put out 1280x1024. This is the last piece of the equipment I am going to pick up, I'm not satisfied with the quality of my Geforce 4 tv out as well as the overscan probs. Other Hardware I have setup already AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1.33Ghz (= 1800XP+) Volcano 9 Cooler Enermax Power Supply w/ Temp Controlled fan (still too loud, going to have to add a resistor to that fan lol, these AMD's run so hot) ECS K7S5A mobo ATI Wonder VE (will be replaced with WinTV) Generic sound Card (will be replaced with Audigy) Geforce 4 MX 440 w/ tv out (will use AverKey for tv out)
and hopefully MythTV .9 will be out soon, when I tried to get the CVS like 3 weeks ago it gave me a user error or something denying me from getting in with the exact steps that are on the CVS page.

Add photos to your e-mail with http://g.msn.com/8HMOENUS/2746??PS="]MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*.
Re: Hardware list for new Myth Box, thoughts about quality and compatibility? [ In reply to ]
Uhm? Didn't you forget something?

RE: Hardware list for new Myth Box, thoughts about quality and compatibility? [ In reply to ]
Hmmm... somebody else that knows might want to chime in here, but the
chipset you list on the WinTV card gives me pause... the "878" part seems
like the Brooktree 878, but the "CN" part smacks of Conexant. I know that
some of the newer WinTV cards have an as-yet-unsupported Conexant chipset...
might want to check that out.

Also, the remote on the WinTV cards sucks. First, it only responds to
RC5-protocol remotes (try Philips codes with a universal remote). The
remote they ship is horribly small, definitely not enough buttons. Second,
it seems somehow crippled, in that when using a universal remote, it would
only respond to codes with a "TV" device prefix. That means that buttons
intended for a stereo, vcr, cable box or DVD player won't work (at least
they didn't for me). I suppose you could get a nice JP1 programmable
remote, but even that might be a gamble, and for a lot less you can build or
buy a generic serial IR receiver.

Just my $.02. YMMV.

-JAC

Re: Hardware list for new Myth Box, thoughts about quality and compatibility? [ In reply to ]
Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> Hmmm... somebody else that knows might want to chime in here, but the
> chipset you list on the WinTV card gives me pause... the "878" part seems
> like the Brooktree 878, but the "CN" part smacks of Conexant. I know that
> some of the newer WinTV cards have an as-yet-unsupported Conexant chipset...
> might want to check that out.

I have this on my Leadtek XP Deluxe, but lspci and bttv see it as bt878
chip just fine.

Pete