If there isn't such a thing, I'll volunteer to make it if I ever get to the
level of understanding that would be needed to make it
:-)
Re: diagram [ In reply to ]
You could try running the source code through some sort of UML
reverse-engineering tool. We used Rational Rose where I used to work (very
expensive), but I think there may be some OSS tools available.

-JAC

Re: diagram [ In reply to ]
On Monday 19 May 2003 10:28 pm, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> You could try running the source code through some sort of UML
> reverse-engineering tool. We used Rational Rose where I used to work (very
> expensive), but I think there may be some OSS tools available.

I think someone posted a link to the output of the mythtv source ran through
doxygen a few months back.. I don't really find that sort of thing terribly
useful, though.

Isaac
Re: diagram [ In reply to ]
At 11:26 PM 5/19/03 -0400, you wrote:
>On Monday 19 May 2003 10:28 pm, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> > You could try running the source code through some sort of UML
> > reverse-engineering tool. We used Rational Rose where I used to work (very
> > expensive), but I think there may be some OSS tools available.
>
>I think someone posted a link to the output of the mythtv source ran through
>doxygen a few months back.. I don't really find that sort of thing terribly
>useful, though.

The only quick way to search the archives being by subject, I wasn't able
to find it, but I'll go back when I have more time and be more
thorough. My main point in volunteering to do it myself was more to
demonstrate that I didn't mean to ask anyone else to do it for me
:-). Usefulness or not for any individual, I'll post to the list when/if I
get it done.
Re: diagram [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 20 May 2003 08:24 am, Pete Hartman wrote:
> At 11:26 PM 5/19/03 -0400, you wrote:
> >On Monday 19 May 2003 10:28 pm, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> > > You could try running the source code through some sort of UML
> > > reverse-engineering tool. We used Rational Rose where I used to work
> > > (very expensive), but I think there may be some OSS tools available.
> >
> >I think someone posted a link to the output of the mythtv source ran
> > through doxygen a few months back.. I don't really find that sort of
> > thing terribly useful, though.
>
> The only quick way to search the archives being by subject, I wasn't able
> to find it, but I'll go back when I have more time and be more
> thorough. My main point in volunteering to do it myself was more to
> demonstrate that I didn't mean to ask anyone else to do it for me

There's (much) better archives linked to from the lists section of the
webpage. At least, I assume you're talking about the standard pipermail
archives when you said only 'by subject'.

Isaac
Re: diagram [ In reply to ]
Pete Hartman wrote:

> My main point in volunteering to do it myself was more to demonstrate
> that I didn't mean to ask anyone else to do it for me :-). Usefulness
> or not for any individual, I'll post to the list when/if I get it done.

I personally find such diagrams (if done well - I find doxygen pretty
useless as well) to be very helpful in getting a first idea about the
project. It makes the basic structure clear and the assumptions and
interaction/corelations, and helps to locate the code to change to
achieve what you want or alternatively to see that the project is (atm)
inappropriate for what you want. it absolutely has to be correct and not
outdated, though.

Ben
Re: diagram [ In reply to ]
At 11:16 AM 5/20/03 -0400, Isaac wrote:
>On Tuesday 20 May 2003 08:24 am, Pete Hartman wrote:
> > The only quick way to search the archives being by subject, I wasn't able
> > to find it, but I'll go back when I have more time and be more
> > thorough. My main point in volunteering to do it myself was more to
> > demonstrate that I didn't mean to ask anyone else to do it for me
>
>There's (much) better archives linked to from the lists section of the
>webpage. At least, I assume you're talking about the standard pipermail
>archives when you said only 'by subject'.

Aha, I will try that first then, thanks!
Re: diagram [ In reply to ]
At 08:56 PM 5/20/03 -0500, I wrote:
>At 11:16 AM 5/20/03 -0400, Isaac wrote:
>>There's (much) better archives linked to from the lists section of the
>>webpage. At least, I assume you're talking about the standard pipermail
>>archives when you said only 'by subject'.
>
>Aha, I will try that first then, thanks!

Overlooked that when I went there this morning. Needed coffee I guess :-)

Found the post, followed the link (to the doxygen map), the link is
gone. C'est la vie.

At my current rate of implementation (hindered by an 8 month old baby and
lots of home repair projects), I figure I'll be ready to make a diagram
sometime next year, but I'm still planning to do it :-). Ok, so maybe I
exaggerate a bit.....