--
Best regards,
Mark mailto:mark@voxpopzine.com
Re: Frequency off on channel 5 and 6 [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 06 May 2003 07:45 pm, Mark Haislip wrote:
> I am using the current "production" release 0.8. United
> States in the Detroit area of Michigan. Cable connection. It's in
> pre-production in the living room and I have one minor snag.
> The frequency being off on just a couple
> of channels?! For some reason channel 5 and 6 are are 35Mhz too
> low(discovered with xawtv/right arrow). All other channels seem to
> come in just fine. No matter what I put in the
> settings.txt file(us-cable, etc.), nothing seems to help. Any
> suggestions

Well, settings.txt doesn't exist in 0.8 -- you should set that through the
setup program, in the General section.. But, have you tried us-cable-hrc?

Isaac
Re[2]: Frequency off on channel 5 and 6 [ In reply to ]
Hello Isaac,

Tuesday, May 6, 2003, 8:35:03 PM, you wrote:

IR> On Tuesday 06 May 2003 07:45 pm, Mark Haislip wrote:
>> I am using the current "production" release 0.8. United
>> States in the Detroit area of Michigan. Cable connection. It's in
>> pre-production in the living room and I have one minor snag.
>> The frequency being off on just a couple
>> of channels?! For some reason channel 5 and 6 are are 35Mhz too
>> low(discovered with xawtv/right arrow). All other channels seem to
>> come in just fine. No matter what I put in the
>> settings.txt file(us-cable, etc.), nothing seems to help. Any
>> suggestions

IR> Well, settings.txt doesn't exist in 0.8 -- you should set that through the
IR> setup program, in the General section.. But, have you tried us-cable-hrc?

IR> Isaac

Yep, I did try us-cable-hrc, but I'm sure that I put it in
settings.txt. Perhaps settings.txt was left over from a .7 install. I
will try to set it in the General section. Perhaps thats it.

RE: Frequency off on channel 5 and 6 [ In reply to ]
You must be on Bright House (was Time Warner) right? I had the same
problem with a ReplayTV box I returned... There is a way to manually
assign the frequency to use for a channel... search the archives.

Joe

Re[2]: Frequency off on channel 5 and 6 [ In reply to ]
Hello Isaac,

Tuesday, May 6, 2003, 8:35:03 PM, you wrote:

IR> On Tuesday 06 May 2003 07:45 pm, Mark Haislip wrote:
>> I am using the current "production" release 0.8. United
>> States in the Detroit area of Michigan. Cable connection. It's in
>> pre-production in the living room and I have one minor snag.
>> The frequency being off on just a couple
>> of channels?! For some reason channel 5 and 6 are are 35Mhz too
>> low(discovered with xawtv/right arrow). All other channels seem to
>> come in just fine. No matter what I put in the
>> settings.txt file(us-cable, etc.), nothing seems to help. Any
>> suggestions

IR> Well, settings.txt doesn't exist in 0.8 -- you should set that through the
IR> setup program, in the General section.. But, have you tried us-cable-hrc?

IR> Isaac

couldn't find the settings in 'General'?? So I played a bit with
xawtv:

us-cable - works as described. good except channel 5 and 6
us-bcast - same as above.
us-cable-hrc - all channels now come in but out of tune.
All appear to be 20 or so Mhz too low and can be tuned using the right
and left arrows with xawtv.

I am sure that when I find the settings for myth, myth will behave in
the same way. Still not sure how I am going to fix this?!?!

Any suggestions?

Re: Frequency off on channel 5 and 6 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 09:42:19PM -0400, Mark Haislip wrote:
> couldn't find the settings in 'General'?? So I played a bit with
> xawtv:
>
> us-cable - works as described. good except channel 5 and 6
> us-bcast - same as above.
> us-cable-hrc - all channels now come in but out of tune.
> All appear to be 20 or so Mhz too low and can be tuned using the right
> and left arrows with xawtv.

Use Google, christ.

"
HRC & ICC Offset Cable Channel Plans

Some cable systems purposefully shift the video and audio carrier frequencies of some or most channels. Two common carrier shift schemes are the Harmonically Related Carrier
(HRC) and Incrementally Coherent Related Carrier (ICC or IRC).

The HRC system shifts all the cable channels 2-125 down in frequency -1.25 MHz from the FCC assigned or standard cable frequency except channels 4 and 5. Channel 4 and 5 are
shifted up in frequency +.75 MHz. An additional channel, designated channel 1, is created between channel 4 and channel 5 with a carrier frequency of 72 MHz.

The IRC or ICC system shifts channels 4 and 5 up in frequency +2.0 MHz from the FCC assigned or standard cable frequency. An additional channel, designated channel 1, is created
between channels 4 and 5 with a carrier frequency of 73.25 MHz.

"

you need us-cable-irc or us-cable-icc, in xawtv it would be us-cable-irc

> --
> Best regards,
> Mark mailto:mark@voxpopzine.com

--
Matthew S. Hallacy FUBAR, LART, BOFH Certified
http://www.poptix.net GPG public key 0x01938203
Re[2]: Frequency off on channel 5 and 6 [ In reply to ]
Hello Matthew,

MSH> On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 09:42:19PM -0400, Mark Haislip wrote:
>> couldn't find the settings in 'General'?? So I played a bit with
>> xawtv:
>>
>> us-cable - works as described. good except channel 5 and 6
>> us-bcast - same as above.
>> us-cable-hrc - all channels now come in but out of tune.
>> All appear to be 20 or so Mhz too low and can be tuned using the right
>> and left arrows with xawtv.

MSH> Use Google, christ.

MSH> "
MSH> HRC & ICC Offset Cable Channel Plans

MSH> Some cable systems purposefully shift the video and audio carrier frequencies of some or most channels. Two common carrier shift schemes are the Harmonically Related Carrier
MSH> (HRC) and Incrementally Coherent Related Carrier (ICC or IRC).

MSH> The HRC system shifts all the cable channels 2-125 down in frequency -1.25 MHz from the FCC assigned or standard cable frequency except channels 4 and 5. Channel 4 and 5 are
MSH> shifted up in frequency +.75 MHz. An additional channel, designated channel 1, is created between channel 4 and channel 5 with a carrier frequency of 72 MHz.

MSH> The IRC or ICC system shifts channels 4 and 5 up in frequency +2.0 MHz from the FCC assigned or standard cable frequency. An additional channel, designated channel 1, is created
MSH> between channels 4 and 5 with a carrier frequency of 73.25 MHz.

MSH> "

MSH> you need us-cable-irc or us-cable-icc, in xawtv it would be us-cable-irc

>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Mark mailto:mark@voxpopzine.com

I just ended up tweaking the 'finetuning' field in the 'channels'
table. 35Mhz did the trick for both 5&6.

Re: us-cable-* Where in myth is this now controled. With myth .7 I
altered it in the settings.txt file. I am now using .8 and was told
that it does not use the settings.txt file. I find no place in the UI
to enter this. Haven't looked in the database yet but ...