on the vendor ID and product ID reported for the card.

Obviously the nvidia drivers completely fail to work, but if I start X
with the Savage drivers, everything appears to be fine.

This seems fairly weird to me and I'll try to find another card that
does the expected thing, but in the meantime is it possible to get the
TV-out working on this card in RedHat 8.0, assuming it really is a
Savage model?

James
Re: Video card problem (Geforce2 vs. Savage 2000) [ In reply to ]
See below.

At 06:33 PM 4/30/2003 +0100, James Fidell wrote:
>I picked up a Geforce 2 MX400 on Ebay last week. Well, at least, that's
>what it says on the box, the instructions, and that's what the BIOS says
>when it boots. The PCI scan says it's an S3 Savage 2000 though, based
>on the vendor ID and product ID reported for the card.
>
>Obviously the nvidia drivers completely fail to work, but if I start X
>with the Savage drivers, everything appears to be fine.
>
>This seems fairly weird to me and I'll try to find another card that
>does the expected thing, but in the meantime is it possible to get the
>TV-out working on this card in RedHat 8.0, assuming it really is a
>Savage model?

Yes and no.

Yes: the standard Savage X driver supports TV-out, though you may need the
"s3switch" utility to turn TV-out on.

No: The Savage X driver does not support xv (xVideo) on the Savage 2000.
The developer classes this as an unresolved bug, but it has been unresolved
for a long time now, so don't hold your breath. xShm works (with xine, for
example), but it consumes a lot of CPU cycles so is probably not a good
option for Myth.

For details on both of these, go to http://www.probo.com/timr/savage40.html
Re: Video card problem (Geforce2 vs. Savage 2000) [ In reply to ]
Quoting Ray Olszewski (ray@comarre.com):

> Yes: the standard Savage X driver supports TV-out, though you may need the
> "s3switch" utility to turn TV-out on.

Well, setting TvOnly and PAL options in XFree86Config turn off the
display on the monitor at least, so perhaps I won't need that.

> No: The Savage X driver does not support xv (xVideo) on the Savage 2000.
> The developer classes this as an unresolved bug, but it has been unresolved
> for a long time now, so don't hold your breath. xShm works (with xine, for
> example), but it consumes a lot of CPU cycles so is probably not a good
> option for Myth.

This does appear to be a problem. I've downloaded the latest X drivers
and get a blank screen with the correct sound when I try to watch anything.
The Savage driver web page suggests that this is only a problem in 24-bit
mode. It doesn't work for me in 16-bit or 8-bit mode though.

Can myth be forced to use xShm (and if so, how)? Or do I have to remember
how X works and do some coding to make that happen?

As an aside, the strangest thing is this output from the X logs:

(II) SAVAGE(0): VESA BIOS detected
(II) SAVAGE(0): VESA VBE Version 3.0
(II) SAVAGE(0): VESA VBE Total Mem: 32768 kB
(II) SAVAGE(0): VESA VBE OEM: NV Incorporated. MX / MX400
(II) SAVAGE(0): VESA VBE OEM Software Rev: 2.0
(II) SAVAGE(0): VESA VBE OEM Vendor: NV Incorporated.
(II) SAVAGE(0): VESA VBE OEM Product: MX / MX400
(II) SAVAGE(0): VESA VBE OEM Product Rev: Rev C
(--) SAVAGE(0): Chip: id 9102, "Savage2000"
(--) SAVAGE(0): Engine: "Savage2000"
(--) SAVAGE(0): mapping MMIO @ 0xef800000 with size 0x80000
(==) SAVAGE(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
(--) SAVAGE(0): probed videoram: 32768k

Clearly the card is recognised as a Savage 2000, but it definitely *says*
it's an nVidia card.

James
Re: Video card problem (Geforce2 vs. Savage 2000) [ In reply to ]
At 01:15 AM 5/1/2003 +0100, James Fidell wrote:
>[...]
> > No: The Savage X driver does not support xv (xVideo) on the Savage 2000.
> > The developer classes this as an unresolved bug, but it has been
> unresolved
> > for a long time now, so don't hold your breath. xShm works (with xine, for
> > example), but it consumes a lot of CPU cycles so is probably not a good
> > option for Myth.
>
>This does appear to be a problem. I've downloaded the latest X drivers
>and get a blank screen with the correct sound when I try to watch anything.
>The Savage driver web page suggests that this is only a problem in 24-bit
>mode. It doesn't work for me in 16-bit or 8-bit mode though.

You found the wrong section of the Web page. What you are referring to is a
general (and quite old) comment about the Savage driver. Elsewhere on the
same page is a specific (and quite recent) caution specifically about the
Savage 2000 -- "xvideo on the Savage2000 still seems to be broken. I don't
know when I'll be able to get around to this." That is the bug report I was
referring to.