are not running, and 'fuser /dev/dsp' confirms this.

I've also been through the mailing list and noticed a couple of people
reporting similar issues, but with no followups.

I'm using a WinTV PCI card (ie: bttv driver) and onboard via 82cxxx audio.

So - anyone - what's the next step in order to find out what's locking the
system?

-Russell

--
Re: System 'locking' on Watch TV [ In reply to ]
If when you say the system hangs you mean the entire system is locked up
and requires a reboot (as opposed to video capture just stopping), then
you should look back through the archives ... there's a whole string of
posts from me about attempting to track down why mine did this
(different card, but perhaps you can try the same things).

ms

Re: System 'locking' on Watch TV [ In reply to ]
Same here, with exactly the same hardware, but i'm using the cvs-version...
backend and client on the same machine and whenever i try to watch live tv
nothing happens... but the backend uses cpu-time, so i think it's
recording... maybe a client-issue?

bye, stephan

Re: System 'locking' on Watch TV [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, Stephan Wentz wrote:

> Same here, with exactly the same hardware, but i'm using the cvs-version...
> backend and client on the same machine and whenever i try to watch live tv
> nothing happens... but the backend uses cpu-time, so i think it's
> recording... maybe a client-issue?

FWIW, I see exactly the same behaviour using 0.8 and last night's CVS. I
was reasonably sure it's a hardware-related problem, I just don't know
where to look given that everything locks completely and requires a reboot
:)

-Russell
Re: System 'locking' on Watch TV [ In reply to ]
before you start mythtv, run dmesg, and make sure bttv is listed. if it's
not, run '/sbin/modprobe bttv' before you start mythbackend

-josephc

Re: System 'locking' on Watch TV [ In reply to ]
I am not sure if this is a coincidence or not, but
this thing started happening to me as well last night!
I am using a WinTV Go (Model 190) PCI card and I am
running MythTV-0.8 on RedHat 8.0. Watching TV locks up
the mythfrontend, I have to hit Ctrl-Alt-F4 to get to
the desktop somehow and kill the terminals where I
isssued mythfrontend from. Sometimes, its even worse
and only thing that helps is a hard boot.

--- Russell Tweed <russell@daftconsulting.co.uk>

http://search.yahoo.com
Re: System 'locking' on Watch TV [ In reply to ]
On Friday 25 April 2003 11:30 am, Kaushik Mallick wrote:
> I am not sure if this is a coincidence or not, but
> this thing started happening to me as well last night!
> I am using a WinTV Go (Model 190) PCI card and I am
> running MythTV-0.8 on RedHat 8.0. Watching TV locks up
> the mythfrontend, I have to hit Ctrl-Alt-F4 to get to
> the desktop somehow and kill the terminals where I
> isssued mythfrontend from. Sometimes, its even worse
> and only thing that helps is a hard boot.

If it just locks up the frontend, then something else is running on /dev/dsp
that's not letting it open it.

Isaac
Re: System 'locking' on Watch TV [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, josephc wrote:

> before you start mythtv, run dmesg, and make sure bttv is listed. if it's
> not, run '/sbin/modprobe bttv' before you start mythbackend

Tis listed and working fine. xawtv works perfectly, /dev/dsp isn't being
used by anything else. :)

-Russell
Re: System 'locking' on Watch TV [ In reply to ]
this happens to me when the bttv module is not loaded. run dmesg and make
sure bttv is listed.

Re: System 'locking' on Watch TV [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Apr 25, 2003 at 11:37:59AM -0400, Isaac Richards wrote:
> On Friday 25 April 2003 11:30 am, Kaushik Mallick wrote:
> > I am not sure if this is a coincidence or not, but
> > this thing started happening to me as well last night!
> > I am using a WinTV Go (Model 190) PCI card and I am
> > running MythTV-0.8 on RedHat 8.0. Watching TV locks up
> > the mythfrontend, I have to hit Ctrl-Alt-F4 to get to
> > the desktop somehow and kill the terminals where I
> > isssued mythfrontend from. Sometimes, its even worse
> > and only thing that helps is a hard boot.
>
> If it just locks up the frontend, then something else is running on /dev/dsp
> that's not letting it open it.

I'm seeing something similar on a debian unstable system (unstable
packages from http://dijkstra.csh.rit.edu:8088/~mdz/debian).

There seems to be something strange about the /etc/init.d/mythtv
startup. The symtoms are:

The backend server will appear to start during system startup, with
the following logged in /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log

Starting up as the master server.
QSettings: error creating /.qt
QSettings::sync: filename is null/empty
Probed: /dev/video - Television
Probed: /dev/video - Composite1

If I start mythfrontend, then try to watch tv, the interface will
freeze for a second or two, then come back. If I click on watch tv
again, the interface will hang until I kill mythfrontend.

Now, if I kill the mythbackend, and run it in a terminal as root, then
start mythfrontend, watching TV works fine. There's no QSettings error
when started this way. This suggested a permissions problem to me, but
it looks like /dev/dsp is rw for group audio, of which the mythtv user
is a member.

(Version: 0.8-11 for all installed mythtv packages)

I'm at a loss for now.

Graham