Mailing List Archive

What Resolution Are You Using?
What resolution are you running your desktop in? What resolution are you capturing your video in? What is the resolution of the average TV? How are you outputing to your TV, with a Scan Converter or Video Card with TV Out?

Re: What Resolution Are You Using? [ In reply to ]
Wesley Belk wrote:

> What resolution are you running your desktop in?

The screen on which MythTV runs has 800x600

> What resolution are you capturing your video in?

Generally highest possible. I don't think my Athlon 1200 managed that,
though, so "only" 640x480.

> What is the resolution of the average TV?

Depends on the norm. PAL is 768(720?)x576, I think, so I use 800x600.
NTSC is something like 640x480.

> How are you outputing to your TV, with a Scan Converter or Video Card
> with TV Out?

Video card with TV out, nvidia with the binary nvidia driver, although I
have to warn you that it's unstable - I had lots of lockups (at least
with the previous version) until it worked, resulting in some data loss
on my disks (!) :-(. The scan converters I saw (a few years ago,
anyways, I haven't seen any recently) are too expensive, like $100-200.

If I had to buy a new card for MythTV, I guess I'd use a cheap ATI
Radeon 7000 with TV out for $35 or so, but first check that there are
drivers (preferably Open-Source) for the TV out.
Re: What Resolution Are You Using? [ In reply to ]
> If I had to buy a new card for MythTV, I guess I'd use a cheap ATI
> Radeon 7000 with TV out for $35 or so, but first check that there are
> drivers (preferably Open-Source) for the TV out.

ATI has a statement on their website at the moment that TV out is not
supported on anything other than windows... I think that we will wait a
while yet before any ATI card is good for TV out.

On a similar note the new Matrox card (Parhelia) is touted as having
excellent quality tv and monitor output. However, a quick google turns up
only complaints about the quality of the driver and I couldn't find any
accounts as to whether tv out worked at all? (someone shout if it works for
you?)

I think NVidia is best for linux for the time being. I have my eye on the
new FX 5200 which is supposed to have all the FX technology, but will be air
cooled! Price is supposed to be about £100

Good for Quake and also silent!
Re: What Resolution Are You Using? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2003-04-17 at 02:21, Wesley Belk wrote:
> What resolution are you running your desktop in?

800x600 for the screen I use when running myth...

> What resolution are you capturing your video in?

480x480, (MPEG4) looks as good as 640x480 as far as I can tell on my TV.
Uses a lot less CPU on my Athlon 1400 chip and saves me about 100 megs
on the half hour of recording as well..

> What is the resolution of the average TV?
>
> How are you outputing to your TV, with a Scan Converter or Video Card
> with TV Out?

Using TVout on my GeForce3 card using nvidia's drivers, which for me
works great....

Greg

Greg <geflatt@hfx.eastlink.ca>
RE: What Resolution Are You Using? [ In reply to ]
Technically NTSC is 320x240, PAL is 320x288. Of course, as far as capture goes, you do get some benefit by sampling at double the horizontal resolution. However, there isn't much reason to sample at double the vertical resolution. 320x480 for an NTSC signal should not look noticeably different than 640x480.