get it to work properly with my TV...

Thanks,
Tim.
Re: Video Cards... [ In reply to ]
>>>>> On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 13:38:17 -0400, "Keller, Tim" <Tim.Keller@stratus.com> said:

t> Currently I'm using a Nvidia Geforce2 MX400 with s-video outputs and I can't
t> get it to work properly with my TV...

I have this type of card. What doesn't work for you? I don't
have a separate monitor hooked up and occassionally, the console
driver doesn't detect the TV so I have to login blind or remotely.
Once I login and start XFree86 though, it always works. I use
nVIDIA's drivers (version 1.0-4349) and the entries in my XF86Config
are:

Section "Device"
Identifier "NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX"
Driver "nvidia"
BusID "PCI:3:0:0"

Option "RenderAccel" "true"
Option "TVStandard" "NTSC-M"
Option "ConnectedMonitor" "TV"
Option "TVOutFormat" "COMPOSITE" # or "SVIDEO"
EndSection

My card has a CX25871 NTSC encoder and I use "nvtv" to set up
overscanning. The default modes didn't look good but it wasn't too
hard to create a custom mode. I can send you a patch for the values
that worked for me if you're interested.
--
Gregorio Gervasio, Jr.
gtgj@pacbell.net
RE: Video Cards... [ In reply to ]
George,

You've been a great help! I wasn't sure if I should use Nvidia's drivers or
stick with the ones that came with RH8, I'll go grab them right now. Also,
I wasn't sure what options to use either, thanks!

However, I do have a separate and odd issue. I setup up the mythfrontend
and choose "Watch TV" option and it just sits there. After doing some
investigation I found that the "MythTV" app is running but ends up being
hidden by the "mythtvfronend" Now if I just run the mythTV app, it grabs
channel 3 (which currently has an 8bit Nintendo running Metroid on it). Any
ideas or solutions?

RE: Video Cards... [ In reply to ]
Nope, only doing one at a time, either monitor or TV, but not both. The
issue I was having was that I couldn't find the right sync settings so that
the svideo would work for X on a TV. It'll boot fine and I'll see the POST
and all that good stuff, but as soon as the X server would start I'd get the
"jaggies"...

I'm still having the issue of the MythTv app running behind the mythfrontend
app...

Tim.

RE: Video Cards... [ In reply to ]
What window manager are you using?

Also if anyone here is, why would you run mythfrontend on top of KDE or
GNOME? I can't see any advantage to using one of those (bloated) window
managers over something simple like FWVM or Blackbox.

- John

t> Currently I'm using a Nvidia Geforce2 MX400 with s-video outputs and
t> I

RE: Video Cards... [ In reply to ]
If by "jaggies" you mean it isn't syncing then the only things I can think of are you either have the wrong TVStandard setting or a bad cable.

As for the MythTV app running behid the frontend, do you have your window manager set to automatically adjust focus?

Re: Video Cards... [ In reply to ]
Keller, Tim wrote:
> ... After doing some
> investigation I found that the "MythTV" app is running but ends up being
> hidden by the "mythtvfronend".

This is a window manager problem with window stacking. See
if changing your window manager to 'Click to Focus' helps,
or try a different window manager.

-- bjm
Re: Video Cards... [ In reply to ]
Arghh....nobody is using an ATI Radeon 9000 here? Well, that's what I have and
it worked great when I finally got mythtv running on my desktop monitor, but
when I moved the htpc back to the Entertainment Center (tv-out only, no monitor
hooked up), I can work on the console but X doesn't work. I'm not a big X
config expert so I'm hoping someone here can help...or should I ask my question
on some xfree86 mailing list?

Thanks!

Re: Video Cards... [ In reply to ]
Ask away. Please let us all know what the answer is though...

I have an older ATI card and couldn't get TV out to work. There is a
program called atitvout or similar, but it is only really for earlier cards.
If you are in 24 bit mode in less than 800x600 it might work for you
though...

You can make it work if you switch everything to use framebuffer and select
640x480 mode (although I never got that working either).

In the end I bought an old nvidia 2 mx which has tv out.

If you check ATI's website you will see that they make it quite clear that
they have no intention of supporting TV out except under windows.