Mailing List Archive

End of setup problems.
PREFACE:
RedHat 8.0,
ATI AIW 128,
works under Zapping/Xawtv,
compiles clean, builds clean, problem in running "setup" at either GUI
option 4 or CLI option after xmltv does its thing

Hello, I think I may get a "this has been half-answered. check around" to
this (I refer specifically to
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/mailarc/gforum.cgi?post=2940;search_string=to%20probe%20its%20inputs.;guest=319208&t=search_engine#2940),
but I've been working for 2 days now to get MythTV working. I've
tried v 0.7, 0.8, and CVS. Everything works, and I can get to the pretty
GUI-based setup menu (0.8 & CVS) or the setup CLI (0.7) just fine ... it
grabs channel listings ... and then it tell me that

Couldn't open /dev/video0 to probe its inputs.
(CLI mode)

or it will just open up a blank tab for the 4th step (GUI).

Here's a listing of /dev/video*:
//////////////////////////////////
crwxrwxrwx 1 cp root 81, 0 Aug 30 2002 /dev/video0
crwxrwxrwx 1 cp root 81, 1 Aug 30 2002 /dev/video1
crwxrwxrwx 1 cp root 172, 0 Aug 30 2002 /dev/video1394
crwxrwxrwx 1 cp root 81, 2 Aug 30 2002 /dev/video2
crwxrwxrwx 1 cp root 81, 3 Aug 30 2002 /dev/video3

/dev/video:
total 124
drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 Oct 12 06:52 .
drwxr-xr-x 20 root root 118784 Apr 7 03:57 ..
crw-rw-rw- 1 cp root 10, 204 Aug 30 2002 em8300
crw-rw-rw- 1 cp root 10, 206 Aug 30 2002 em8300_ma
crw-rw-rw- 1 cp root 10, 205 Aug 30 2002 em8300_mv
crw-rw-rw- 1 cp root 10, 207 Aug 30 2002 em8300_sp
//////////////////////////////////

As it can be seen, the /dev/video? files are chmod'ed 777, and the
/dev/video/* is chmod'ed 766 ... so it's not a permissions problem at this
point. I'm trying to do everything as root. The database is set up, but
does not have any information in the tvtuner table (again, this was a
problem someone else had, and the response was, "it seems like you've
fixed your own problem", with no clear determination as to WHAT the fix
was).

I enjoy the idea, I enjoy the GUI, layout is clean & large enough to be
seen from across the room ... it's just really frustrating when I have
zapping and xawtv working to have MythTV puke all over itself. :(

Hopefully someone had the same problem as I and can suggest something that
works. I've tried /dev/video?, to no avail. I've tried the files inside
/dev/video/, to no avail ... I don't know what else to do now.

Here's hoping ...
Re: End of setup problems. [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 08 April 2003 12:57 am, Chris Pilson wrote:
> PREFACE:
> RedHat 8.0,
> ATI AIW 128,
> works under Zapping/Xawtv,
> compiles clean, builds clean, problem in running "setup" at either GUI
> option 4 or CLI option after xmltv does its thing

The AIW drivers are not sufficient to work with mythtv yet, as has been
discussed on these lists many, many, many times. You're not going to get
mythtv working with that card until the drivers mature.

Isaac
Re: End of setup problems. [ In reply to ]
Doh. And my other box has an Extasy Everything GeForce 2MX400 tv tuner
card in it. :/ Time to figure out if MythTV will work on that, then
(with latest binaries).