Mailing List Archive

Widescreen plasma displays
Looking to the future, I am thinking about getting a plasma screen with a DVI input. However, looking at the specs for current machines they appear to have native resolutions which are (say) 1024x768 and other 4:3 type resolutions...

How do people handle widescreen formats on these types of devices? ie What happens when you watch a DVD through myth - does it get stretched too wide (everyone looks rather fat), or can we tell the DVD player that the device is actually widescreen (ie on a normal monitor everything is stretched upwards). Also what about other modules such as the myth pictures module, how do people get this to work on wide screen so that photos aren't distorted?

I realise that these sets normally have a button to choose 4:3 or 16:9 input, but doing this is going to mean that the plasma set has to re-sample the input signal and I would like to try and get maximum quality out and avoid this if possible.

Basic questions I know. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Re: Widescreen plasma displays [ In reply to ]
Edward Wildgoose wrote:

>Looking to the future, I am thinking about getting a plasma screen with a DVI input. However, looking at the specs for current machines they appear to have native resolutions which are (say) 1024x768 and other 4:3 type resolutions...

From what I've heard, a lot of these display actually have real
widescreen formats you can use, where the height is still 768 but the
width is much more than 1024. However, I have no ideas which models
support this and which don't... in any case, it'd probably be in your
best interests to look for a model that *does* support it, as you can
then just set your X desktop to this resolution and everything should
work fine.

Graeme