show and watching another, or recording 2 shows at the same
time. Ideally both would be at 640x480, or at a minimum,
480x480. Can someone post if they have tried doing this,
if it worked or not, and how fast their processor is?
Specifically I'm thinking about an Athlon XP 1800+ but it
seems like it might be on the "bubble" of being possible at
that speed. Thanks for any suggestions!

Nick
Re: Processor Recommendation [ In reply to ]
> I'm planning on building a MythTV box and am trying to gather
> empirical evidence to determine how fast of processor I should
> buy. I'd like to use 2 TV tuner cards so I can be recording 1
> show and watching another, or recording 2 shows at the same
> time. Ideally both would be at 640x480, or at a minimum,
> 480x480. Can someone post if they have tried doing this,
> if it worked or not, and how fast their processor is?
> Specifically I'm thinking about an Athlon XP 1800+ but it
> seems like it might be on the "bubble" of being possible at
> that speed. Thanks for any suggestions!

I have a dual 1 Ghz P3 machine and it doesn't do 576x576 live tv properly
unless I quite KDE and boot something more lightweight. From the archives it
appears that encoding is not fully SMP enabled due to a few issues in the
encoder, so in fact although I see total CPU pegged at 80%, this is probably
50% encoding on one processor and 30% decoding on the other.

With MPEG 4 I need to drop it down to 480x480 or perhaps 480x576.

I saw someone mention that 1GHZ per tuner was a good guideline for medium
quality encoding. You need extra for decoding of course.

Bottom line is I suspect that an XP 1800 is likely to be far too weak for
the quality you suggested, however, dropping it down to 240x3xx might be
just what you need.

Ed
Re: Processor Recommendation [ In reply to ]
I have a 2400 XP 2 tuner system, 512 MB PC2700. Recording at 480x400.
Works pretty well.