1) Does it perform well?
2) you used mdz's unmodified patch?
3)against what? The MPlayer v0.90rc5 source tarball from
http://www.mplayerhq.hu?
4)Have you tried patching the OS X native port at
http://mplayerosx.sourceforge.net/?

thanks,

Cedar

Re: patching OS X mplayer (was: Re: [mythtv] Front ends for other machines) [ In reply to ]
Hmmm... okay, now I'm embarassed...

It turns out that yes, I do have MPlayer installed on my wife's iBook,
but it's *not* patched for Myth. If memory serves, the Myth-recorded
file I played on the iBook was actually one that I had tried to convert
on my Myth box using mencoder, then transferred to the iBook to play in
QuickTime (it looked horrible).

The funny thing is, now I can't get MPlayer to compile on the iBook at
all, so I can't test the patched version. The version I had compiled
was .90-rc2, but since I don't have that source anymore I tried to build
.90-rc5 (or -rc6? whatever the latest is), and it won't build... the
weird part is that it looks like they've added OSX support to the
configure script! I looked at MPlayerOSX, but that's just a binary
distribution, so it won't help with the Myth patch. However, if someone
from that project could give us some compilation tips, then we should be
good to go. The Myth patch is good against most versions of MPlayer, as
there are only two files patched, dealing with NuppelVideo, and they
don't seem to be under active development.

Oh well. Sorry if I got your hopes up... I really thought my MPlayer
was patched.

Please post if you make any progress on this.

-Joe C.

Re: patching OS X mplayer (was: Re: [mythtv] Front ends for other machines) [ In reply to ]
thats ok. I make mistakes like that all the time. I tried using matt's
patch agains rc5 but it didn't apply cleanly. It did apply to rc4. I
first tried to compile the patched rc4 with "./configure --enable-gui"
but the compile failed. I tried again with just ./configure make make
install" and it compiled without errors. However with the command
"mplayer targetfile.nuv" I got a lot of cpu and disk activity and the
output below. I'm not putting much effort into this project, so I don't
know if I missed some pre-requisites, or needed to compile with some
different options. As far as prerequisites, all I have is the 10.2
developer tools, and the latest apple x11 (and x11 SDK for headers and
such) installed. Let me know if you figure anything out.

cedar

Sample output:
[homer:~/Desktop] cedar% mplayer 1022_20030317003000_20030317010000.nuv

MPlayer 0.90rc4-3.1 (C) 2000-2003 Arpad Gereoffy (see DOCS)

Reading config file /usr/local/etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf: No such file
or directory
Reading config file /Users/cedar/.mplayer/config
Reading /Users/cedar/.mplayer/codecs.conf: can't open
'/Users/cedar/.mplayer/codecs.conf': No such file or directory
Reading /usr/local/etc/mplayer/codecs.conf: 50 audio & 135 video codecs
font: can't open file: /Users/cedar/.mplayer/font/font.desc
font: can't open file: /usr/local/share/mplayer/font/font.desc
Using usleep() timing
Can't open input config file /Users/cedar/.mplayer/input.conf : No such
file or directory
Can't open input config file /usr/local/etc/mplayer/input.conf : No
such file or directory
Falling back on default (hardcoded) input config

Playing 1022_20030317003000_20030317010000.nuv
NuppelVideo file format detected.
NUV extended frame does not have expected length, ignoring
No NUV extended frame, using defaults
==
Opening audio decoder: [pcm] Uncompressed PCM audio decoder
AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, 16 bit (0x20), ratio: 176400->176400 (1411.2
kbit)
Selected audio codec: [pcm] afm:pcm (Uncompressed PCM)
==
vo: couldn't open the X11 display ()!
vo: couldn't open the X11 display ()!
[vo_gl] Using 4 as slice_height (0 means image_height).
vo: couldn't open the X11 display ()!
vo: couldn't open the X11 display ()!
==
Opening video decoder: [nuv] NuppelVideo decoder
VDec: vo config request - -536805376 x -536805376 (preferred csp:
Planar I420)
Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vop scale...
Opening video filter: [scale]
VDec: using Planar I420 as output csp (no 0)
Movie-Aspect is undefined - no prescaling applied.
swScaler: -536805376x-536805376 -> -536805376x-536805376 is invalid
scaling dimension
Couldn't init SwScaler for this setup
FATAL: Cannot initialize video driver.
VDecoder init failed :(
*** Try to upgrade /Users/cedar/.mplayer/codecs.conf from
etc/codecs.conf
*** If it still does not work, read DOCS/codecs.html!
Cannot find codec matching selected -vo and video format 0x3156554E.
==
Checking audio filter chain for 44100Hz/2ch/16bit ->
44100Hz/2ch/16bit...
AF_pre: af format: 2 bps, 2 ch, 44100 hz, big endian signed int
AF_pre: 44100Hz 2ch Signed 16-bit (Big-Endian)
using device Built-in audio controller for output:
with sample rate 44100.000000, 2 channels and 32-bit sample
using device Built-in audio controller for input:
with sample rate 44100.000000, 2 channels and 32-bit sample
AO: [esd] 44100Hz 2ch Signed 16-bit (Big-Endian) (2 bps)
Building audio filter chain for 44100Hz/2ch/16bit ->
44100Hz/2ch/16bit...
Video: no video
Starting playback...

Too many video packets in the buffer: (1 in 321213976 bytes).
Maybe you are playing a non-interleaved stream/file or the codec failed?
For AVI files, try to force non-interleaved mode with the -ni option.
A: 0.0 0.0% 0%

Exiting... (End of file)
Re: patching OS X mplayer [ In reply to ]
Are you set up to install from source using fink? If you
are, you can try this replacement for the fink unstable patch. (I've
combined it with Matt's original patch, Andrew Bishop's RTjpeg patch,
and my own big-endian patch.) Copy it over the fink patch and install
mplayer.

I don't know how easy it would be to build outside fink but
you'll want to install SDL at least. Anyway, I can help out and
provide more details off-list if you want. No promises, though --
it's pretty fragile and chokes on some files.
Re: patching OS X mplayer [ In reply to ]
Why not just build the mythfrontend part & use that instead of
jumping thru all of these hoops? If OSX is indeed built on top
of FreeBSD it shouldn't be bad.
Essentially just don't compile 'NuppelViedoRecorder.cpp' in libmythtv
& a couple other changes & yer good - I can send you a patch even.

Gregorio Gervasio Jr.(gtgj@pacbell.net)@2003.03.29 05:38:51 +0000:

Mark Ethan Trostler mark@zzo.com
Computing Solutions http://www.zzo.com
Re: patching OS X mplayer [ In reply to ]

> Essentially just don't compile 'NuppelViedoRecorder.cpp' in libmythtv
> & a couple other changes & yer good - I can send you a patch even.

please do! I'm not sure it will be quite as trivial as you think. I
sure as hell don't have a /dev/dsp on my machine. But the fink people
manage to port everything to os X including all of kde and gnome (with
working sound), so I'm sure it is possible.

cedar
Re: patching OS X mplayer [ In reply to ]
Here's the patch - basically don't try to compile the
'setup' & 'mythbackend' directories & either don't have
NuppelVideoRecorder.cpp in your libs/libmythtv directory when
you first make or delete it (NuppelVideoRecorder.cpp &
NuppelVideoRecorder.o) out of your makefile from the libs/libmythtv
directory.
Make sure $QTDIR/mkspecs/conf/default points to the rite qmake.conf.
My libc didn't have the 'llabs' function so I defined it myself.
FreeBSD has 'inttypes.h' instead of 'stdint.h'.
Some flags to 'open' (no O_LARGEFILE) & 'shmget' are different.
Comment out all references to 'linux/videodev.h' & any structures
in there.
Finally I was getting segfaults when transitioning between playing
previously recorded shows & the menu so I put a buncha extra checking
in playbackbox.cpp & that's it.
My icons don't draw correctly (they're just rectangles of fuzz) but
the fonts draw okay...
No '/dev/dsp' & no '/dev/mixer' ... that'll be interesting... lemmie
know how it goes...
Mark

Cedar McKay(cedarmckay@mac.com)@2003.03.29 09:07:42 +0000:

Re: patching OS X mplayer [ In reply to ]

m> Why not just build the mythfrontend part & use that instead of
m> jumping thru all of these hoops? If OSX is indeed built on top
m> of FreeBSD it shouldn't be bad.

m> Essentially just don't compile 'NuppelViedoRecorder.cpp' in libmythtv
m> & a couple other changes & yer good - I can send you a patch even.

Well, there's also the fact that the Mac is a big-endian
machine. Anyway, I have been working a little bit at building
mythfrontend for OS X and it was easier to get mplayer up and
running. That doesn't mean it's hopeless, though. I already have the
frontend running on Linux/PPC. The problem for OS X right now is
sound but since esound, SDL, and arts have all been ported, it should
be a matter of time.
--
Gregorio Gervasio, Jr.
gtgj@pacbell.net
Re: patching OS X mplayer [ In reply to ]
Gregorio Gervasio Jr. wrote:

> Well, there's also the fact that the Mac is a big-endian
> machine. Anyway, I have been working a little bit at building
> mythfrontend for OS X and it was easier to get mplayer up and
> running. That doesn't mean it's hopeless, though. I already have the
> frontend running on Linux/PPC. The problem for OS X right now is
> sound but since esound, SDL, and arts have all been ported, it should
> be a matter of time.

Just an FYI, the arts code is not quite working right, so be warned not
to use it as an example. :)

Right now in Fink we're using the arts <-> esound bridge, rather than
the native CoreAudio driver since it has some lockup issues we've been
unable to track down.

On the bright side, if you get something worked out, I'd be happy to
make fink packages of the mythtv frontend. I use MythTV at home on my
linux box and (obviously) use Fink too. :)
Re: patching OS X mplayer [ In reply to ]
> Right now in Fink we're using the arts <-> esound bridge, rather than
> the native CoreAudio driver since it has some lockup issues we've been
> unable to track down.
>
> On the bright side, if you get something worked out, I'd be happy to
> make fink packages of the mythtv frontend. I use MythTV at home on my
> linux box and (obviously) use Fink too. :)

I would be thrilled if you got this working!

Gregorio, I tried to use your patch with fink, but ran into trouble
right away.

upon trying to get fink to download mplayer:
curl -f -L -s -S -O
http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/MPlayer-0.90rc1.tar.bz2
curl: (22) The requeste### execution of curl failed, exit code 22
Downloading the file "MPlayer-0.90rc1.tar.bz2" failed.

going to http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/ there are only rc4
and rc5 tarballs there, no rc1 which is what fink seems to want. I
guess I'll have to wait until fink updates their package, and then beg
you for an updated patch.

best,
cedar
Re: patching OS X mplayer [ In reply to ]
Cedar McKay wrote:

> going to http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/ there are only rc4
> and rc5 tarballs there, no rc1 which is what fink seems to want. I guess
> I'll have to wait until fink updates their package, and then beg you for
> an updated patch.

Looks like you need to make sure you have unstable enabled, and to do a
'fink selfupdate-cvs'. rc4 is in unstable.
Re: patching OS X mplayer [ In reply to ]
I tried your patch with

patch -p1 < myp

and got this:
[homer:~/Desktop/myth/MC] cedar% patch -p1 < myp missing header for
unified diff at line 8 of patch
Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------
|===================================================================
|RCS file: /var/lib/cvs/MC/Makefile,v
|retrieving revision 1.22
|diff -u -p -r1.22 Makefile
|--- Makefile 21 Mar 2003 17:05:37 -0000 1.22
|+++ Makefile 29 Mar 2003 19:04:11 -0000
--------------------------
File to patch:

How exactly do you apply your patch starting with a vanilla MC
directory?

thanks,

Cedar

Re: patching OS X mplayer [ In reply to ]
ya don't need that '-p1' option.
off a totally fresh mythtv tree in the MC directory:
% patch < myp

Cedar McKay(cedarmckay@mac.com)@2003.03.29 15:32:26 +0000: