Mailing List Archive

Anyone using G200 + TV-Out + Hardware MJPEG?
Hi all,

I posted awhile back about some problems with my G200, but I've since been
tinkering and come up with a whole set of new ones ;) I was wondering if
anyone is using a similar setup and could offer some advice.

Following the G200-HOWTO from the MythTV mailing lists got the TV-Out
working great, and software encoding working just fine. However, since
those instructions didn't include using the marvel drivers
(http://marvel.sourceforge.net), I wasn't able to get hardware MJPEG
encoding working. Also, when switching back from "odd" video modes in
MythGame, I would lose sync for about 10 seconds, and then be dumped back to
KDM (with the user logged out, all processes killed, etc.). This might be
an issue with the amount of video RAM reported to X; I've seen suggestions
that setting VideoRam to 4MB less than is actually available will fix this;
I haven't been able to verify that. Also, the tuner in the G200 wasn't
recognized (I had another tuner in the system, though, so this wasn't an
issue).

Following instructions for the G450 (http://linux.zsolt.net/marvel.html), I
was able to get the hardware MJPEG encoding working (very, very nice) and
also the tuner in the G200 (my other tuner stopped working at this point).
Unfortunately, the whole setup was highly unpredictable (sometimes the
matroxset and fbset commands I'd run wouldn't do anything at all, leaving me
with no display; sometimes when starting MythTV I'd just get a passthrough
of whatever the G200 was tuning at the moment, and matroxset/fbset were the
only way to get my desktop / consoles back; sometimes the display would just
become corrupted and impossible to correct).

I'm at a loss here. It looks like I can either have hardware encoding, or
stability, and in either case, coming back from MAME doesn't work. Any

Nick