enough bandwidth for mythtv? Thanks
--
Chris <cisip@sprintmail.com>
Re: Any suggestions for a video network? [ In reply to ]
Chris wrote:
> I have 10mbps homepna and it is not cutting it. It struggled with myth
> .7 and lags severely in .8. 802.11b is even slower. Any suggestions? I
> have 10/100 mpbs lan cards but dont want to put cables all over the
> apartment. Are there any wireless solutions supported in linux with
> enough bandwidth for mythtv? Thanks

I can use 10mbps homepna if I keep the bitrate low enough.
Try mpeg4 352x480, 2200 scaled bitrate and it should work.
Otherwise, you will need a faster network for higher res
but this should work.

802.11a should be fast enough for high res, high bitrate
but there are questions about range. If it is a short distance
in an apartment, it may work.

-- bjm
Re: Any suggestions for a video network? [ In reply to ]
I think 802.11g would probably be a better choice. It uses the 2.4ghz spectrum (so it has the same reach as 802.11b) but gets up to 54mbps. It is also backwards compatable with 802.11b. I haven't used it personally, though.

Just a thought.

Jay
----- Original Message ----- From: "Bruce Markey" <bjm@lvcm.com> To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users@snowman.net> Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 11:03 PM Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Any suggestions for a video network?
> Chris wrote:
> > I have 10mbps homepna and it is not cutting it. It struggled with myth
> > .7 and lags severely in .8. 802.11b is even slower. Any suggestions? I
> > have 10/100 mpbs lan cards but dont want to put cables all over the
> > apartment. Are there any wireless solutions supported in linux with
> > enough bandwidth for mythtv? Thanks
>
> I can use 10mbps homepna if I keep the bitrate low enough.
> Try mpeg4 352x480, 2200 scaled bitrate and it should work.
> Otherwise, you will need a faster network for higher res
> but this should work.
>
> 802.11a should be fast enough for high res, high bitrate
> but there are questions about range. If it is a short distance
> in an apartment, it may work.
>
> -- bjm

Message sent using ClemsonNow.com
RE: Any suggestions for a video network? [ In reply to ]
> 802.11a should be fast enough for high res, high bitrate
> but there are questions about range. If it is a short distance
> in an apartment, it may work.

I have an 802.11a card in a windows machine (not sure if there are any linux drivers yet...), and the speed is pretty good. Certainly I can double click on a saved MPEG file on the fileserver and it plays find on the laptop.

However, range is limited to one wall (or floor)... Two walls (or floors) kills reception completely.
Re: Any suggestions for a video network? [ In reply to ]
I regularly watch my recorded videos on my laptop via 802.11b. Works fine
as long as I have a 11Mbps connection. It only cuts out of I drop to
2Mbps.

Re: Any suggestions for a video network? [ In reply to ]
You could try the new 802.11g at 54Mb. The 2.4 Ghz video sender and
reciver from x10.com work well if you don't have two obstructions.

Re: Any suggestions for a video network? [ In reply to ]
Are there linux drivers for the 802.11g? I tried the video sender and
receiver thing from x10. severe distortion when my microwave is running
(or my neighbor's). You cant heat your food and watch at the same time.

Re: OT: Any suggestions for a video network? [ In reply to ]
Wait a minute, microwaves are for food? I thought they were for cats!

#if Chris /* Mar 21, 20:41 */
#endif /* cisip@sprintmail.com */
Re: OT: Any suggestions for a video network? [ In reply to ]
On Friday 21 March 2003 09:01 pm, Andy Davidoff wrote:
> Wait a minute, microwaves are for food? I thought they were for cats!

Cats -- the other other white meat.

--
Hoyt
http://www.maximumhoyt.com/

If your VCR is still flashing 12:00,
chances are Linux is not for you.
Re: Any suggestions for a video network? [ In reply to ]
Chris wrote:
> Are there linux drivers for the 802.11g? I tried the video sender and
> receiver thing from x10. severe distortion when my microwave is running
> (or my neighbor's). You cant heat your food and watch at the same time.

I thought that was the whole point - the PAUSE buttion.

:)

-rac
Re: OT: Any suggestions for a video network? [ In reply to ]
> Van: Andy Davidoff <dert@pobox.com>
>
> Wait a minute, microwaves are for food? I thought they were for cats!

It should do the job if you're in hurry after bathing them. ;-)

Henk Poley <><
Re: OT: Any suggestions for a video network? [ In reply to ]
Andy Davidoff wrote
> #if Chris /* Mar 21, 20:41 */
> > severe distortion when my microwave is running (or my neighbor's). You
> > cant heat your food and watch at the same time.
> #endif /* cisip@sprintmail.com */
>
> Wait a minute, microwaves are for food? I thought they were for cats!

that explains a few things... ;)