Mailing List Archive

Locks Up and Slow Performance
Thanks to everyone who has worked on 0.8. It's great
and I am really enjoying using it. I was amazed how
much progress was made since the CVS version I
downloaded only a couple of weeks ago.

A couple of problems:
--MythTV 0.8 locks up a lot, actually it was doing the
same thing with the old CVS version as well. I was
just changing channels and the interface stopped
responding and the picture froze. ALT-F4 exited the TV
window, but mythbackend is still using about 40% CPU.
Usually, I have to kill both mythfrontend and
mythbackend and restart them.

--CPU utilization seems high. Using RTJPEG 640x480 for
Live TV, my CPU is about 40% mythbackend, 30 percent
mythfrontend and 20% X windows, which means that it
dropping some frames. Does this sound about right? I
don't want to lower the resolution, actually, I'd
prefer to use 704x480 if I could. MPEG4 performance is
worse.

My basic machines stats are:
Athlon XP 2100+
nForce chipset
GeForce2 MX
WinTV PCI
256MB RAM
80 GB 7200RPM Seagate Barricuda IV with DMA on
RedHat 8.0
alsa-lib 0.9.1-fr1

./jj

http://platinum.yahoo.com
Re: Locks Up and Slow Performance [ In reply to ]
> --CPU utilization seems high. Using RTJPEG 640x480 for
> Live TV, my CPU is about 40% mythbackend, 30 percent
> mythfrontend and 20% X windows, which means that it
> dropping some frames. Does this sound about right? I
> don't want to lower the resolution, actually, I'd
> prefer to use 704x480 if I could. MPEG4 performance is
> worse.

This almost sounds like you don't have the NVidia drivers installed so
Xv support can be used. When you run mythfrontend, does it display a
message about "non-Xv mode enabled" or something to that effect? It
sounds like you're doing software scaling and color conversion instead of
it being done in hardware by the video card if you had the proper drivers
installed.

You should be able to do 704x480 mpeg4 easily on your system.

Chris

** Chris Pinkham Linux v2.2.18, Sane v1.0.4, Cajun v3.0-8 **
** cpinkham@bc2va.org http://www.bc2va.org/chris/ **
Re: Locks Up and Slow Performance [ In reply to ]
> My basic machines stats are:
> Athlon XP 2100+
> nForce chipset
> GeForce2 MX
> WinTV PCI
> 256MB RAM
> 80 GB 7200RPM Seagate Barricuda IV with DMA on
> RedHat 8.0
> alsa-lib 0.9.1-fr1

I have a very similar system and I get good performance, with plenty of
cpu left over. Biggest difference I see is I use mpg4.

cedar
Re: Locks Up and Slow Performance [ In reply to ]
--- Chris Pinkham <cpinkham@bc2va.org> wrote:
> > --CPU utilization seems high. Using RTJPEG 640x480
> for
> > Live TV, my CPU is about 40% mythbackend, 30
> percent
> > mythfrontend and 20% X windows, which means that
> it
> > dropping some frames. Does this sound about right?
> > don't want to lower the resolution, actually, I'd
> > prefer to use 704x480 if I could. MPEG4
> performance is
> > worse.
>
> This almost sounds like you don't have the NVidia
> drivers installed so
> Xv support can be used. When you run mythfrontend,
> does it display a
> message about "non-Xv mode enabled" or something to
> that effect? It
> sounds like you're doing software scaling and color
> conversion instead of
> it being done in hardware by the video card if you
> had the proper drivers
> installed.

I have the NVidia drivers installed. In fact, I
recompiled them to support lirc. My XFree86 config
file uses the "nvidia" drivers (instead of "nv") and I
get the Nvidia splash screen when X windows starts.
I'll double check tonight that it's using Xv.

http://platinum.yahoo.com
Re: Locks Up and Slow Performance [ In reply to ]
Jason James wrote:

>>This almost sounds like you don't have the NVidia
>>drivers installed so
>>Xv support can be used. When you run mythfrontend,
>>does it display a
>>message about "non-Xv mode enabled" or something to
>>that effect? It
>>sounds like you're doing software scaling and color
>>conversion instead of
>>it being done in hardware by the video card if you
>>had the proper drivers
>>installed.

Hrm... this almost sounds like my performance problems with MythTV right
now.. I haven't done any checking, but I do know that with my dual head
setup XFree disables DRI, so it could very well be disabling Xv as well.
Any ideas about what I could do about this, short of dumping dual-head?
Or am I pretty much screwed until an X update fixes this?

Graeme
Re: Locks Up and Slow Performance [ In reply to ]
> Hrm... this almost sounds like my performance problems with MythTV right
> now.. I haven't done any checking, but I do know that with my dual head
> setup XFree disables DRI, so it could very well be disabling Xv as well.
> Any ideas about what I could do about this, short of dumping dual-head?
> Or am I pretty much screwed until an X update fixes this?
>
> Graeme

When you play a video or watch TV in mythfrontend, it will print out a
message saying either that it used Xv port X (X being some number) or
that it couldn't find Xv support and is falling back to non-Xv mode. If
you see the Xv port message then Xv is in use, if you see the non-Xv
mode then that would explain some slowness. The non-Xv mode uses a
lot of cpu horsepower to do the color conversion from YUV to RGB and also
to do the scaling. When using Xv, those two are done in hardware on the
video card.

Re: Locks Up and Slow Performance [ In reply to ]
Chris Pinkham wrote:

>When you play a video or watch TV in mythfrontend, it will print out a
>message saying either that it used Xv port X (X being some number) or
>that it couldn't find Xv support and is falling back to non-Xv mode. If
>you see the Xv port message then Xv is in use, if you see the non-Xv
>mode then that would explain some slowness. The non-Xv mode uses a
>lot of cpu horsepower to do the color conversion from YUV to RGB and also
>to do the scaling. When using Xv, those two are done in hardware on the
>video card.

Well, I did a lot of checking yesterday when I was fixing my audio
problems (hooray btaudio and mailing list archives! ;) ), and it looks
like XV *is* working fine, even if DRI isn't. I get messages like "using
xv port 91" or whatever, so I guess that's not my performance problem.
I'm starting to think it may just be the extra load of running Gnome 2
with antialiasing, plus a dual monitor setup, plus MythTV, all on a 1.2
Ghz Duron. I guess I'll just have to save up some cash, upgrade my CPU,
and see.

On a related note, do other people see weird artifacting using the MPEG4
compression? I get this effect where static elements will drift and
blend into other parts of the frame (the OSD does this very noticeably),
until what looks like the next keyframe is hit. Unfortunately, it
appears to be only doing a keyframe about once every 4-5 seconds, so
there's a lot of picture distortion while this happens. My thinking is
that this is caused by my machine being unable to keep up with MythTV's
encoding and decoding while using MPEG4, but I thought I'd ask if other
people are experiencing the same thing.

Graeme
Re: Locks Up and Slow Performance [ In reply to ]
> On a related note, do other people see weird artifacting using the MPEG4
> compression? I get this effect where static elements will drift and
> blend into other parts of the frame (the OSD does this very noticeably),

You've either dropped some acid or your CPU is not powerful enough.
Though the former is preferred, it's more than likely the latter :)
Upgrade your CPU or reduce the res you're capturing at and it shouldn't be
as noticeable.
Re: Locks Up and Slow Performance [ In reply to ]
--- William Preston <bpreston@networkusa.net> wrote:
> > On a related note, do other people see weird
> artifacting using the MPEG4
> > compression? I get this effect where static
> elements will drift and
> > blend into other parts of the frame (the OSD does
> this very noticeably),
>
> You've either dropped some acid or your CPU is not
> powerful enough.
> Though the former is preferred, it's more than
> likely the latter :)
> Upgrade your CPU or reduce the res you're capturing
> at and it shouldn't be
> as noticeable.

Compared to RTJPEG or MPEG2, MPEG4 files look pretty
lousy to me, even at high bitrates (I've got mine
dialed up to 5000K on LiveTV just as a test). It has
lot of artifacts and fast motion looks really bad.

MPEG4 also a CPU hog, so I've had to reduce the
capture resolution on my Athlon XP 2100+ to 512x480
just so it can keep up. It might be time to
investigate some overclocking!

The image quality on the Matrox Marvel G200 TV (MJPEG)
I was using before was much higher in terms of
artifacts and fast motion. Unfortunately, that card
couldn't support resolutions higher than 320x240 or
so.

I checked and my system is using XV, so there is
something else slowing it down.

http://platinum.yahoo.com
Re: Slow Performance [ In reply to ]
Another area of slow performance I've noticed is in
mythfrontend. On the main page, it takes a half second
to select another option, and uses about 50% CPU. On
the Schedule a Recording page, it takes 1-2 seconds to
page down or move the cursor a single step. The CPU
spikes to 100% when this happens. Is this normal?

./jj

http://platinum.yahoo.com
Re: Slow Performance [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 20 March 2003 07:00 pm, Jason James wrote:
> Another area of slow performance I've noticed is in
> mythfrontend. On the main page, it takes a half second
> to select another option, and uses about 50% CPU. On
> the Schedule a Recording page, it takes 1-2 seconds to
> page down or move the cursor a single step. The CPU
> spikes to 100% when this happens. Is this normal?

You didn't, by any chance, do a:

./configure --enable-lcd

when you built the core myth stuff, did you?

- thor
Re: Slow Performance [ In reply to ]
--- thor <mythtv@lamedomainname.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 20 March 2003 07:00 pm, Jason James
> wrote:
> > Another area of slow performance I've noticed is
> in
> > mythfrontend. On the main page, it takes a half
> second
> > to select another option, and uses about 50% CPU.
> On
> > the Schedule a Recording page, it takes 1-2
> seconds to
> > page down or move the cursor a single step. The
> CPU
> > spikes to 100% when this happens. Is this normal?
> >

> You didn't, by any chance, do a:
>
> ./configure --enable-lcd
>
> when you built the core myth stuff, did you?

No. I guess you're saying this isn't normal ;-)

./jj

http://platinum.yahoo.com
Re: Slow Performance [ In reply to ]
On Thursday 20 March 2003 07:46 pm, Jason James wrote:

> > ./configure --enable-lcd
> >
> > when you built the core myth stuff, did you?
>
> No. I guess you're saying this isn't normal ;-)

It's just that until very recent CVS (yesterday) if you built in lcd support
and then weren't actually running LCDd, then libmyth would spend all spare
CPU cycles trying to open an impossible socket connection.

Obviously not what's going on in your case, but may help others following the
thread.

- thor
Re: Slow Performance [ In reply to ]
--- thor <mythtv@lamedomainname.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 20 March 2003 07:46 pm, Jason James
> wrote:
>

> > > ./configure --enable-lcd
> > >
> > > when you built the core myth stuff, did you?
> >
> > No. I guess you're saying this isn't normal ;-)
>

> It's just that until very recent CVS (yesterday) if
> you built in lcd support
> and then weren't actually running LCDd, then libmyth
> would spend all spare
> CPU cycles trying to open an impossible socket
> connection.
>
> Obviously not what's going on in your case, but may
> help others following the
> thread.

I'm wondering if it's the video driver. X is using all
of the CPU during these times. If I switch
mythfrontend from 1280x1024 (my screen resolution) to
something smaller, then the CPU hit is smaller. At
800x600 it only uses 50% CPU for a page down in the
Schedule a Recording screen. Still that seems high.

Is the GeForce2 driver from NVidia a dog? Or is it
something else?

./jj

http://platinum.yahoo.com
Re: Slow Performance [ In reply to ]
To test my video performance, I ran glxgears. I got a
slow 418 FPS. Turning ACPI off in the kernel improved
performance to about 520 FPS. I got it up to 1200 FPS
by switching from 24 bit to 16 bit graphics.

http://platinum.yahoo.com
Re: Locks Up and Slow Performance [ In reply to ]
Hi Jason,

You say that you got a pretty decent output with your G200 at 320x240. I
assume you mean with hardware mjpeg and decimation 2 / 2, right? That's the
card I have right now, and that's as high as I can get the resolution. I
have a P3-800 and plan on buying a new Athlon 2000+ or more this weekend to
be able to up the resolution.

Are you saying that you couldn't do Decimation 1 with your Athlon XP 2100+
and that card? If so, why not? I was really looking forward to 640x480!
If you've given up on the hardware MJPEG for the G200, are you still using
that card to do the RTJPEG or MPEG4? For me, that's the only card I have in
the box, and it does both the capture and TV output.

Thanks,
JC

Re: Locks Up and Slow Performance [ In reply to ]
> Compared to RTJPEG or MPEG2, MPEG4 files look pretty
> lousy to me, even at high bitrates (I've got mine
> dialed up to 5000K on LiveTV just as a test). It has
> lot of artifacts and fast motion looks really bad.
>
> MPEG4 also a CPU hog, so I've had to reduce the
> capture resolution on my Athlon XP 2100+ to 512x480
> just so it can keep up. It might be time to
> investigate some overclocking!

Something is wrong with your setup. You don't need an overclocked cpu,
you need to figure out what is going wrong. I can record 640 x 480 mpg4
3000 bitrate, 2-15 quality (default quality) and do live tv with about
55% cpu used. And it looks great. Very tough to tell from the original
signal.

cedar
Re: Slow Performance [ In reply to ]

j> Another area of slow performance I've noticed is in
j> mythfrontend. On the main page, it takes a half second
j> to select another option, and uses about 50% CPU. On
j> the Schedule a Recording page, it takes 1-2 seconds to
j> page down or move the cursor a single step. The CPU
j> spikes to 100% when this happens. Is this normal?

Are you using the latest nVidia video drivers (1.0-4191)? I
set up a new box with a GeForce2 MX card and noticed this same
slowdown compared to my previous box using a Radeon. I went back to
*previous* nVidia video drivers (1.0-3123) and the problem went away.
RENDER acceleration is disabled in the latest drivers. There's an
option to turn it on (see the ChangeLog) but doing consistently locks
up my machine.

As for your other slowdowns, I think you should be able to
easily do MPEG-4 @640x480 with ~50% CPU on your machine. What does
"hdparm -tT" show for your disk? Did you change the default compiler
options for MythTV (libavcodec especially)?

--
Gregorio Gervasio, Jr.
gtgj@pacbell.net
RE: Slow Performance [ In reply to ]
> Are you using the latest nVidia video drivers (1.0-4191)? I
> set up a new box with a GeForce2 MX card and noticed this same
> slowdown compared to my previous box using a Radeon. I went back to
> *previous* nVidia video drivers (1.0-3123) and the problem went away.
> RENDER acceleration is disabled in the latest drivers. There's an
> option to turn it on (see the ChangeLog) but doing consistently locks
> up my machine.

I have exactly this problem,

Unfortunately this is a new linux problem and the old nvidia drivers are not
available from www.nvidia.com. Which version are your drivers? Would you be
prepared to put them somwehere I could download them?

Thanks

Malcolm
RE: Slow Performance [ In reply to ]
That didn't come out right . . .

Which linux version are your 3123 drivers built for . . ..

Malcolm
RE: Slow Performance [ In reply to ]
Ok,

Now I look stupid . . . .

Previous builds of nvidia drivers ARE available at

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=linux_display_archive

Malcolm
RE: Locks Up and Slow Performance [ In reply to ]
> MPEG4 also a CPU hog, so I've had to reduce the
> capture resolution on my Athlon XP 2100+ to 512x480
> just so it can keep up. It might be time to
> investigate some overclocking!

I have an ATI Radeon, however, until I changed from 24bit video mode to 16 bit video mode performance was extremely bad. Also not having DMA switched on is a complete performance killer and it seems that many distributions do not switch this on by default (hdparm -d1 /dev/hda)

Ed
Re: Slow Performance (with latest nVidia drivers) [ In reply to ]
Here's a long discussion with reports of 2D performance
problems with the 1.0-4191 drivers:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=a6e76319689ed72255686de1a0ca141d&threadid=4997

Anyway, nVidia is aware of the problem.
--
Gregorio Gervasio, Jr.
gtgj@pacbell.net
RE: Slow Performance [ In reply to ]
> j> Another area of slow performance I've noticed is in
> j> mythfrontend. On the main page, it takes a half second
> j> to select another option, and uses about 50% CPU. On
> j> the Schedule a Recording page, it takes 1-2 seconds to
> j> page down or move the cursor a single step. The CPU
> j> spikes to 100% when this happens. Is this normal?

> Are you using the latest nVidia video drivers (1.0-4191)? I
> set up a new box with a GeForce2 MX card and noticed this same
> slowdown compared to my previous box using a Radeon. I went back to
> *previous* nVidia video drivers (1.0-3123) and the problem went away.
> RENDER acceleration is disabled in the latest drivers. There's an
> option to turn it on (see the ChangeLog) but doing consistently locks
> up my machine.

I am getting this same slowdown on an ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon (ie pre Radeon 7500). It didn't happen in 0.7.

Using ati drivers in the latest kernel, not dri ones.
Re: Locks Up and Slow Performance [ In reply to ]
--- JC <johnmythtv@crombe.com> wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> You say that you got a pretty decent output with
> your G200 at 320x240. I
> assume you mean with hardware mjpeg and decimation 2
> / 2, right? That's the
> card I have right now, and that's as high as I can
> get the resolution. I
> have a P3-800 and plan on buying a new Athlon 2000+
> or more this weekend to
> be able to up the resolution.
>
> Are you saying that you couldn't do Decimation 1
> with your Athlon XP 2100+
> and that card? If so, why not? I was really
> looking forward to 640x480!
> If you've given up on the hardware MJPEG for the
> G200, are you still using
> that card to do the RTJPEG or MPEG4? For me, that's
> the only card I have in
> the box, and it does both the capture and TV output.

Since all of the compression is done on the G200 card,
the speed of CPU shouldn't matter much. CPU
utilization with the G200 during
compression/decompression was usually only 3-4 percent
using MJPEG and decimation 2. The G200 drops frames if
you increase the decimation to d 1 (640x480).

I put a WinTV card in when I took the G200 out.

./jj