Mailing List Archive

Cannot record/hear sound (line in muted, recording source set)
Hi,

Rather frustrated!

I'm literally pulling my hair out now after an afternoon of frustration,
which must be surely down to my incompetency!

Sorry this is so long, but I hope somebody might have some idea what's
wrong if I provided enough contextual info.

I've done pretty well thus far to get everything kind of working. I'm
using

- RedHat8, 2.4.18-26.8
- Hercules SmartTV Stereo (working with XawTV, sound and video)
- mythtv (CVS, from earlier this morning)
- alsa sound drivers (0.9.0rc8c)
- KDE 3.0.3-8RedHat (duplex disabled, or else mythtv 'watch live tv'
hangs with no video or sound)
- SoundBlaster Live Value (5.1)

I had a hack about this morning and added support for tv_grab_fi into
the setup and filldatabase and I thought I was going great guns when I
managed to get a picture in myth.

But alas, now I've run into trouble.

I can get sound and audio in XawTV but of course, that's going the
analogue route.

I have myth up and running and I'm able to watch livetv, but of course,
its playing the sound from the analogue input. So following the docs and
the faq, I muted the line in, set it as the recording source, fired up
xawtv and then tried running aplay /dev/dsp in another terminal window,
but I get a bunch of output (but no sound:)

[...alex]$ aplay /dev/dsp0
Playing raw data '/dev/dsp0' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono
xrun!!! (at least 12.697 ms long)
xrun!!! (at least 9.481 ms long)
xrun!!! (at least 11.871 ms long)
xrun!!! (at least 11.822 ms long)
xrun!!! (at least 11.863 ms long)
xrun!!! (at least 11.846 ms long)
xrun!!! (at least 11.862 ms long)
xrun!!! (at least 11.821 ms long)
xrun!!! (at least 11.859 ms long)
xrun!!! (at least 11.842 ms long)

I've tried Btaudio too, but I don't really understand how to configure
it correctly (or even if its compatible with my setup).

I can play sound okay using aplay.

I cannot record sound using that basic KDE wav file recording app. If I
start it recording (even when Line is the recording source) it doesn't
record anything. Muted or otherwise, it still doesn't record.

Not sure if its related, but I currently have to su to root and then
modprobe tvaudio every time I boot up in order to get even analogue tv
sound. I tried adding "alias tvaudio" to my /etc/modules.conf but that
doesn't seem to be doing the trick.

I've played with all the mixer settings (using alsamixer) but I can't
work out what's wrong. Here's the amixer output

Simple mixer control 'Master',0
Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 31
Front Left: Playback 31 [100%] [on]
Front Right: Playback 31 [100%] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Master Mono',0
Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
Playback channels: Mono
Limits: Playback 0 - 31
Mono: Playback 31 [100%] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Headphone LFE',1
Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
Playback channels: Mono
Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'Headphone',1
Capabilities: pvolume
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 100
Front Left: Playback 100 [100%]
Front Right: Playback 100 [100%]
Simple mixer control 'Headphone Center',1
Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
Playback channels: Mono
Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'Tone',0
Capabilities: pswitch
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Mono:
Front Left: Playback [on]
Front Right: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'Bass',0
Capabilities: volume
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: 0 - 40
Mono: 6 [15%]
Front Left:
Front Right:
Simple mixer control 'Treble',0
Capabilities: volume
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: 0 - 40
Mono: 7 [18%]
Front Left:
Front Right:
Simple mixer control '3D Control - Switch',0
Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
Playback channels: Mono
Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control '3D Control Sigmatel - Depth',0
Capabilities: volume volume-joined
Playback channels: Mono
Limits: 0 - 3
Mono: 3 [100%]
Simple mixer control '3D Control Sigmatel - Rear Depth',0
Capabilities: volume volume-joined
Playback channels: Mono
Limits: 0 - 3
Mono: 3 [100%]
Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 31
Front Left: Playback 31 [100%] [on]
Front Right: Playback 31 [100%] [on]
Simple mixer control 'PCM Out Path & Mute',0
Capabilities:
Mono:
Simple mixer control 'Surround',0
Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 31
Front Left: Playback 31 [100%] [on]
Front Right: Playback 31 [100%] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Surround Digital',0
Capabilities: pvolume cvolume cswitch
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 100 Capture 0 - 100
Front Left: Playback 98 [98%] Capture 100 [100%] [off]
Front Right: Playback 98 [98%] Capture 100 [100%] [off]
Simple mixer control 'Center',0
Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined
Playback channels: Mono
Limits: Playback 0 - 100
Mono: Playback 100 [100%]
Simple mixer control 'LFE',0
Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined
Playback channels: Mono
Limits: Playback 0 - 100
Mono: Playback 100 [100%]
Simple mixer control 'Wave',0
Capabilities: pvolume cvolume cswitch
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 100 Capture 0 - 100
Front Left: Playback 100 [100%] Capture 100 [100%] [off]
Front Right: Playback 100 [100%] Capture 100 [100%] [off]
Simple mixer control 'Wave Center',0
Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined
Playback channels: Mono
Limits: Playback 0 - 100
Mono: Playback 100 [100%]
Simple mixer control 'Wave LFE',0
Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined
Playback channels: Mono
Limits: Playback 0 - 100
Mono: Playback 100 [100%]
Simple mixer control 'Wave Surround',0
Capabilities: pvolume
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 100
Front Left: Playback 100 [100%]
Front Right: Playback 100 [100%]
Simple mixer control 'Music',0
Capabilities: pvolume cvolume cswitch
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 100 Capture 0 - 100
Front Left: Playback 100 [100%] Capture 0 [0%] [off]
Front Right: Playback 100 [100%] Capture 0 [0%] [off]
Simple mixer control 'Line',0
Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-joined
cswitch-exclusive
Capture exclusive group: 0
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 31
Front Left: Playback 31 [100%] [off] Capture [on]
Front Right: Playback 31 [100%] [off] Capture [on]
Simple mixer control 'Line LiveDrive',0
Capabilities: pvolume cvolume cswitch
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 100 Capture 0 - 100
Front Left: Playback 100 [100%] Capture 100 [100%] [off]
Front Right: Playback 100 [100%] Capture 100 [100%] [off]
Simple mixer control 'Line LiveDrive',1
Capabilities: pvolume cswitch
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 100
Front Left: Playback 100 [100%] Capture [off]
Front Right: Playback 100 [100%] Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'CD',0
Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-joined
cswitch-exclusive
Capture exclusive group: 0
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 31
Front Left: Playback 31 [100%] [on] Capture [off]
Front Right: Playback 31 [100%] [on] Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Mic',0
Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch
cswitch-joined cswitch-exclusive
Capture exclusive group: 0
Playback channels: Mono
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 31
Mono: Playback 31 [100%] [on]
Front Left: Capture [off]
Front Right: Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Mic Boost (+20dB)',0
Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
Playback channels: Mono
Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'Mic Select',0
Capabilities:
Mono:
Simple mixer control 'Video',0
Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-joined
cswitch-exclusive
Capture exclusive group: 0
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 31
Front Left: Playback 31 [100%] [on] Capture [off]
Front Right: Playback 31 [100%] [on] Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Phone',0
Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch
cswitch-joined cswitch-exclusive
Capture exclusive group: 0
Playback channels: Mono
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 31
Mono: Playback 31 [100%] [on]
Front Left: Capture [off]
Front Right: Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Coaxial',0
Capabilities: pvolume cvolume cswitch
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 100 Capture 0 - 100
Front Left: Playback 100 [100%] Capture 100 [100%] [off]
Front Right: Playback 100 [100%] Capture 100 [100%] [off]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Optical',0
Capabilities: pvolume cvolume cswitch
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 100 Capture 0 - 100
Front Left: Playback 100 [100%] Capture 100 [100%] [off]
Front Right: Playback 100 [100%] Capture 100 [100%] [off]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Optical Raw',0
Capabilities: pswitch
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Front Left: Playback [off]
Front Right: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 TTL',0
Capabilities: pvolume cvolume cswitch
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 100 Capture 0 - 100
Front Left: Playback 100 [100%] Capture 100 [100%] [off]
Front Right: Playback 100 [100%] Capture 100 [100%] [off]
Simple mixer control 'PC Speaker',0
Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
Playback channels: Mono
Limits: Playback 0 - 15
Mono: Playback 15 [100%] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Aux',0
Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-joined
cswitch-exclusive
Capture exclusive group: 0
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 31
Front Left: Playback 31 [100%] [on] Capture [off]
Front Right: Playback 31 [100%] [on] Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Mono Output Select',0
Capabilities:
Mono:
Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
Capabilities: cvolume cswitch cswitch-joined
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Capture 0 - 15
Front Left: Capture 15 [100%] [off]
Front Right: Capture 15 [100%] [off]
Simple mixer control 'Mix',0
Capabilities: cswitch cswitch-joined cswitch-exclusive
Capture exclusive group: 0
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Front Left: Capture [off]
Front Right: Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Mix Mono',0
Capabilities: cswitch cswitch-joined cswitch-exclusive
Capture exclusive group: 0
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Front Left: Capture [off]
Front Right: Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'AC97',0
Capabilities: pvolume cvolume
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 100 Capture 0 - 100
Front Left: Playback 0 [0%] Capture 100 [100%]
Front Right: Playback 0 [0%] Capture 100 [100%]
Simple mixer control 'External Amplifier Power Down',0
Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
Playback channels: Mono
Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'SB Live Analog/Digital Output Jack',0
Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
Playback channels: Mono
Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'Sigmatel Surround',0
Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 31
Front Left: Playback 31 [100%] [on]
Front Right: Playback 31 [100%] [on]

Also, here's an lsmod (not sure what others I could post to help)

Module Size Used by Not tainted
snd-pcm-oss 44932 0 (autoclean)
tvaudio 15836 2
tuner 12608 1 (autoclean)
bttv 83104 0 (autoclean)
i2c-algo-bit 8840 1 (autoclean) [bttv]
i2c-core 19268 0 (autoclean) [tvaudio tuner bttv
i2c-algo-bit]
videodev 8352 3 (autoclean) [bttv]
sr_mod 18168 0 (autoclean)
snd-mixer-oss 16440 1 (autoclean) [snd-pcm-oss]
radeon 94040 19
agpgart 42976 3
snd-emu10k1-synth 5980 0 (unused)
snd-emux-synth 34268 0 [snd-emu10k1-synth]
snd-seq-midi-emul 7164 0 [snd-emux-synth]
snd-seq-virmidi 5096 0 [snd-emux-synth]
snd-seq-midi-event 5704 0 [snd-seq-virmidi]
snd-seq 46960 0 [snd-emux-synth snd-seq-midi-emul
snd-seq-virmidi snd-seq-midi-event]
snd-emu10k1 82004 1 [snd-emu10k1-synth]
snd-pcm 82304 0 [snd-pcm-oss snd-emu10k1]
snd-timer 19624 0 [snd-seq snd-pcm]
snd-rawmidi 18592 0 [snd-seq-virmidi snd-emu10k1]
snd-ac97-codec 44352 0 [snd-emu10k1]
snd-hwdep 6976 0 [snd-emu10k1]
snd-util-mem 3080 0 [snd-emux-synth snd-emu10k1]
snd-page-alloc 8688 0 [snd-emu10k1 snd-pcm]
snd-seq-device 6300 0 [snd-emu10k1-synth snd-emux-synth
snd-seq snd-emu10k1 snd-rawmidi]
snd 43684 0 [.snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss
snd-emux-synth snd-seq-virmidi snd-seq-midi-event snd-seq snd-emu10k1
snd-pcm snd-timer snd-rawmidi snd-ac97-codec snd-hwdep snd-util-mem
snd-seq-device]
soundcore 6500 8 [bttv snd]
autofs 13348 0 (autoclean) (unused)
3c59x 30608 1
ipt_REJECT 3736 2 (autoclean)
iptable_filter 2444 1 (autoclean)
ip_tables 14904 2 [ipt_REJECT iptable_filter]
ide-scsi 10544 0
scsi_mod 107176 2 [sr_mod ide-scsi]
ide-cd 33608 0
cdrom 33728 0 [sr_mod ide-cd]
ohci1394 20076 0 (unused)
ieee1394 46988 0 [ohci1394]
nls_iso8859-1 3516 2 (autoclean)
nls_cp437 5148 2 (autoclean)
vfat 13084 2 (autoclean)
fat 38744 0 (autoclean) [vfat]
mousedev 5524 1
keybdev 2976 0 (unused)
hid 22276 0 (unused)
input 5920 0 [mousedev keybdev hid]
usb-uhci 26188 0 (unused)
usbcore 77088 1 [hid usb-uhci]
ext3 70336 1
jbd 52212 1 [ext3]

Please somebody help! ;-)

Regards
Re: Cannot record/hear sound (line in muted,recording source set) [ In reply to ]
Hi Cedar

Thanks, but I think that's correct - you need to disable the KDE stuff
or else MythTV cannot open /dev/dsp and therefore "Watch live tv" just
hangs.

I managed to fix it with the help of Dan Brown who dropped me a mail
off-list. Basically, I'd not muted the "Mic" channel, and also, he
suggested raising the volume of the Captur(e) mixer channel (which was
already at max). I also set it (the Captur(e) channel) as a capture
device just to be safe - all using alsamixer.

It now works a charm and I can finally enjoy the product of the mythtv
developer's hard work. How stupid am I...

One minor (unrelated problem) is that the layout of the TV Guide is a
bit up the spout on my machine. I'll try and host a few screen shots and
see if anybody can spot the obvious mistake. My first port of call (when
I get round to looking at this) is the font sizes in the setup...

Cheers

Alex