Mailing List Archive

Theme strings...
Hi!

Some themes we translate recently had some of their strings changed by
their authors (the most noticeable ones are the theme descriptions, the
rest are mostly templates).

When this happens would you like us to update the theme strings so that
you can translate them or do we leave them untranslatable? If we apply
the full string freeze to the letter they should not be updated but not
letting you translate them if you wanted to is not exactly a very good
solution either...

Assuming we updated them it's quite possible that other strings would
become untranslated during the life of the next release (0.26) and it's
quite likely that some strings are still left untranslated in the
application so these strings are most likely not the only ones who are
or will end up untranslated so what is your take on this, should we
update the theme strings in a situation such as this one or not?

I am planning to communicate with the themers (theme authors) to make
them aware of the problem this is causing us when strings are updated
that late in the release process (and other similar matters), we really
need to make them aware of those issues so that we can try to avoid them...

I could make another patch like the one I did for one of us who wanted
to translate MythMediaStream but if you wanted to have one last string
update it would be simpler for all of us since it would be the same
normal translation process we are all used to and would not involved
patching around...

Thank you and have a nice day!

Nicolas

Re: Theme strings... [ In reply to ]
> Thank you and have a nice day!
>
> Nicolas

Hi, Nicolas

I guess it all depends on the number of the untranslated strings that will be revealed and the time that remains until the actual 0.26 release. Any update on the latter? I I wouldn't mind giving it a go, though, since it's the right thing to do.

Best regards,

Yianni.
Re: Theme strings... [ In reply to ]
Hi Yianni!

On 8/25/2012 1:40 PM, Yianni Vidalis wrote:
> I guess it all depends on the number of the untranslated strings that
> will be revealed and the time that remains until the actual 0.26

Currently, not counting a few template strings (the ones with "%" in
them), this is what we would have to translate.

"For %ASPECT% displays. By %AUTHORNAME%."

"Update available"

"A sleek black theme that is the default theme for the Mythbuntu
distribution. The Mythbuntu theme is inspired by ProjectGrayhem."

"Inspired by MediaStream: The theme has been made to look like the
original XBMC skin were posible. Looks best with the matching menu
called 'MythMediaStream' as this menu lay-out and items are tailored for
this particular theme."

> release. Any update on the latter?

Could be as early as in 5 to 7 days..

(5 days if we the release is exactly one week after the release
candidate...)

If the RC is uneventful we usually have something like a week to
complete our translations...

> I I wouldn't mind giving it a go, though, since it's the right
> thing to do.

OK, if I don't get any other positive answers would you mind using a patch?

Thank you and have a nice day!

Nicolas
Re: Theme strings... [ In reply to ]
hi Nicolas,

I agree that. It's not a big problem if the new string number is overstate (30 maximum)

but you know I disagree if it is to translate a complete theme.

Thank for you good job

Gilles

Re: Theme strings... [ In reply to ]
Antonio, you have volunteer if you need any help!

Thank you!

Nicolas

Re: Theme strings... [ In reply to ]
Hi Rune!

On 7/29/2013 2:42 PM, Rune Evjen wrote:
> I agree that you should include additional strings from other themes.

Thank you!

> With regards to MythMediaStream, I suspect you refer to my Norwegian
> Bokmål translation of that theme. Could you please provide the patch
> to me ?

Yep, you were indeed the person I was thinking about...

> Will the translation of MythMediaStream using the patch be committed
> and available to other users ?

Yes, anybody who wants it can contact me either here, using private
email, or on IRC (my user on IRC is knightr).

The theme will most likely be added to the list of themes we translate
but I want to investigate the issue of the very non negligible number of
new strings it add before it does...

Don't worry, I have no intention of making you lose the work you did so
I will continue to provide you with a patch.

Thank you and have a nice day!

Nicolsd