I want to change the movie ratings acronyms (G, PG, etc) to the Greek equivalent but I'm worried whether the program searches for the specific "G", "PG" etc strings when it's searching for metadata. Can I go ahead and translate or is it not recommended?

Regards,

Yianni.

Re: Movie ratings [ In reply to ]
On Monday 26 Mar 2012 21:03:42 Yianni Vidalis wrote:
> I want to change the movie ratings acronyms (G, PG, etc) to the Greek
> equivalent but I'm worried whether the program searches for the specific
> "G", "PG" etc strings when it's searching for metadata. Can I go ahead and
> translate or is it not recommended?

This isn't recommended, it's more complicated that it first appears. For a
start not all systems are compatible, some have more ratings than others or
the ratings given are very different between countries. e.g. In the US a film
featuring sex/nudity is likely to be given an NC-17 rating (the highest
possible) where in the UK or Europe generally it might be given a 15 or even a
12A rating. In contrast a violent horror film in the US might be given an R
rating (equivalent to the UK's 15) and an 18 rating in the UK.

If time allows in 0.26 I'll add support for multiple rating systems that will
permit not only for the correct rating names to be shown to the user but also
allow MythTV to grab the _correct_ ratings for each country from TMDB. It's
been on my todo list for a while now.
--
Stuart Morgan
Re: Movie ratings [ In reply to ]
> From: stuart@tase.co.uk
> To: mythtv-translators@mythtv.org
> Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 19:19:47 +0100
> Subject: Re: [Mythtv-translators] Movie ratings
>
> This isn't recommended, it's more complicated that it first appears. For a
> start not all systems are compatible, some have more ratings than others or
> the ratings given are very different between countries. e.g. In the US a film
> featuring sex/nudity is likely to be given an NC-17 rating (the highest
> possible) where in the UK or Europe generally it might be given a 15 or even a
> 12A rating. In contrast a violent horror film in the US might be given an R
> rating (equivalent to the UK's 15) and an 18 rating in the UK.

Yes, it's different in Greece, too, we have 5 categories
1: For everyone
2: Parental guidance recommended
3: PG required
4: Over 15
5: Over 18.

I would "squeeze" 5 to 4 by eliminating "2", but I was worried only whether the "PG" and the other symbols were the ones MythTV was looking for when it was searching for metadata.
I.e. if I translate "PG" to something Greek I would break the ratings system. So, my question is more of a programmatical type.

> If time allows in 0.26 I'll add support for multiple rating systems that will
> permit not only for the correct rating names to be shown to the user but also
> allow MythTV to grab the _correct_ ratings for each country from TMDB. It's
> been on my todo list for a while now.

That would be great, I hope you find the time.

Re: Movie ratings [ In reply to ]
Hi Yianni!

On 3/26/2012 2:34 PM, Yianni Vidalis wrote:
> I would "squeeze" 5 to 4 by eliminating "2", but I was worried only whether the "PG" and the other symbols were the ones MythTV was looking for when it was searching for metadata.

That depends in which (translation) context it is...

> I.e. if I translate "PG" to something Greek I would break the ratings system. So, my question is more of a programmatical type.

If it's in RatingsToPL (Ratings To Parental Level), it is used to
determine the parental level based on the ratings so changing this, if
the ratings you have are in English, would break the parental level.

Thing is, I'm pretty sure that there's a problem with that bit of code
and that the translation lookups aren't done properly.

Fixing it is relatively easy (missing declaration) but until Stuart add
multiple rating systems support it might actually do more harm than good
since it would most likely break that movie rating to parental level
matching unless the movie ratings you get are in your native language
(which I don't think is the case currently).

If it's not in RatingsToPL, could you please tell me where these are?

Have a nice day!

Nicolas
Re: Movie ratings [ In reply to ]
> Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 07:32:38 -0400
> From: knight@teksavvy.com
> To: mythtv-translators@mythtv.org
> Subject: Re: [Mythtv-translators] Movie ratings
>
> Hi Yianni!
>
> On 3/26/2012 2:34 PM, Yianni Vidalis wrote:
> > I would "squeeze" 5 to 4 by eliminating "2", but I was worried only whether the "PG" and the other symbols were the ones MythTV was looking for when it was searching for metadata.
>
> That depends in which (translation) context it is...
>
> > I.e. if I translate "PG" to something Greek I would break the ratings system. So, my question is more of a programmatical type.
>
> If it's in RatingsToPL (Ratings To Parental Level), it is used to
> determine the parental level based on the ratings so changing this, if
> the ratings you have are in English, would break the parental level.

That's exactly what I would be messing with. No more. Thanks for the info. The ratings are in English, but the "PG-13" signs are also shown in the Manage Videos screen and I thought I'd just translate it.
I was hesitant because they only appear in one place (RatingsToPL).

> Thing is, I'm pretty sure that there's a problem with that bit of code
> and that the translation lookups aren't done properly.
>
> Fixing it is relatively easy (missing declaration) but until Stuart add
> multiple rating systems support it might actually do more harm than good
> since it would most likely break that movie rating to parental level
> matching unless the movie ratings you get are in your native language
> (which I don't think is the case currently).
No, it's not, it's in English.

> If it's not in RatingsToPL, could you please tell me where these are?
Only in that context.

> Have a nice day!
>
> Nicolas

You too,