Mailing List Archive

Themestrings has been updated for 0.25 - It's time to start translating! :)
Hi all

The themestrings has just been updated for MythTV 0.25. If you haven't
already started on your translations for MythTV 0.25, now is the time
to do so :)

We have now entered the "soft string freeze" period, which indicates
that all strings in general are final, but that bugfixes potentially
can introduce a few new strings.

We highly recommend everyone to have their translations submitted by
the 16th of March at latest, in order to get their translations
included with the MythTV 0.25 RC1, which is scheduled to get released
on the 18th of March (Release schedule for 0.25:
http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-dev/2012-January/071731.html).

When RC1 is released, we'll enter a "hard string freeze" period, in
which all strings should stay completely frozen until the final
release. This period will last ~2 weeks and will allow all translators
to submit corrections and to translate any new strings introduced
during the "soft string freeze" period.

As usual, you can check out the current translation status on Nick
Morrott's translation statistics page at:
http://www.insidethex.co.uk/mythtv/translation-status/master/

...and find lots of information on the translation of MythTV, on the
wiki page at:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Translation

If you have any questions, feel free to post them on the list.

Happy translating! :)

Best regards
Kenni
Re: Themestrings has been updated for 0.25 - It's time to start translating! :) [ In reply to ]
On 17 February 2012 23:10, Kenni Lund <kenni@kelu.dk> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> The themestrings has just been updated for MythTV 0.25. If you haven't
> already started on your translations for MythTV 0.25, now is the time
> to do so :)

<snip>

> As usual, you can check out the current translation status on Nick
> Morrott's translation statistics page at:
> http://www.insidethex.co.uk/mythtv/translation-status/master/

Stats updated again to take into account the themestrings update - as
always new numbers at the above URL.

Cheers,
Nick

--
Nick Morrott

Re: Themestrings has been updated for 0.25 - It's time to start translating! :) [ In reply to ]
Hi!

On 2/17/2012 6:10 PM, Kenni Lund wrote:
> Hi all
>
> The themestrings has just been updated for MythTV 0.25. If you haven't
> already started on your translations for MythTV 0.25, now is the time
> to do so :)

Thank you Kenni!

> We highly recommend everyone to have their translations submitted by
> the 16th of March at latest, in order to get their translations
> included with the MythTV 0.25 RC1, which is scheduled to get released
> on the 18th of March (Release schedule for 0.25:
> http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-dev/2012-January/071731.html).

We (Kenni and I) will still be accepting updates for your respective
translation during the RC phase though but as Kenni said getting them in
before the release of RC 1 is preferable.

If you have submitted your translations before the RC phase (March 16th)
and later notice (or are reported) problems with your translation you
can always resubmit one (or more) update before the release of MythTV
0.25 (final).

> ...and find lots of information on the translation of MythTV, on the
> wiki page at:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Translation

Those of you who have not submitted locale files might also want to
consider submitting them. The relevant info is on
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Locale_Configurations .

As always if you encounter any problem please let us know by posting on
this list.

Thank you very much for all your hard work!

Nicolas
Re: Themestrings has been updated for 0.25 - It's time to start translating! :) [ In reply to ]
Hi Nick!

On 2/18/2012 10:34 AM, Nick Morrott wrote:
>> As usual, you can check out the current translation status on Nick
>> Morrott's translation statistics page at:
>> http://www.insidethex.co.uk/mythtv/translation-status/master/
>
> Stats updated again to take into account the themestrings update - as
> always new numbers at the above URL.

Thank you!

It looks like the biggest drop in completion status we got after the
themestring update was around 4%.

Once again thank you!

Nicolas

Re: Themestrings has been updated for 0.25 - It's time to start translating! :) [ In reply to ]
FYI, a couple of corrections to the themestrings were comitted earlier
today. We expect that all strings will stay frozen from now on until the
final release.

As previously mentioned, the release of MythTV 0.25 is scheduled for
the 2nd of April, so please submit your final translations as soon as
possible.

Best regards
Kenni
Re: Themestrings has been updated for 0.25 - It's time to start translating! :) [ In reply to ]
On 21 March 2012 14:05, Kenni Lund <kenni@kelu.dk> wrote:
> FYI, a couple of corrections to the themestrings were comitted earlier
> today. We expect that all strings will stay frozen from now on until the
> final release.

I noticed some UTF-8 weirdness today after updating for the en_gb
translations. The XML element generated by lupdate containing the
description text for the Steppes theme (it contains "Français") was
not generated with valid UTF-8, but rather each of the two bytes
representing the "ç" character (should be C3 A7) was further
re-encoded into UTF-8 so that 4 bytes in total (C3 83 C2 A7) were
output for the character in the file.

Checking the updated themestrings.h file and upstream theme shows no
issues - the issue seems to be with lupdate. I'm running en_gb.utf8
here and haven't noticed any other weirdness. Do you see the same
issue when you update your ts files locally?

I've updated the translation so it works with the "bad" string in the interim.

> As previously mentioned, the release of MythTV 0.25 is scheduled for the 2nd
> of April, so please submit your final translations as soon as possible.

I updated the translation stats earlier and will again in a few days.
Overall completions are improving but I'm hoping for a lot of updates
come in for those languages with low current completions :)

Cheers,
Nick

--
Nick Morrott

Re: Themestrings has been updated for 0.25 - It's time to start translating! :) [ In reply to ]
Hi Nick!

On 3/22/2012 12:57 PM, Nick Morrott wrote:
> On 21 March 2012 14:05, Kenni Lund<kenni@kelu.dk> wrote:
>> FYI, a couple of corrections to the themestrings were comitted earlier
>> today. We expect that all strings will stay frozen from now on until the
>> final release.
>
> I noticed some UTF-8 weirdness today after updating for the en_gb
> translations. The XML element generated by lupdate containing the
> description text for the Steppes theme (it contains "Français") was
> not generated with valid UTF-8, but rather each of the two bytes
> representing the "ç" character (should be C3 A7) was further
> re-encoded into UTF-8 so that 4 bytes in total (C3 83 C2 A7) were
> output for the character in the file.

That's *exactly* the same problem we had before in the themestrings.h
file (double encoding) and while it's fixed in the themestrings.h file
now we have it when the strings are transferred in the translations
files by lupdate.

I think I have an idea how to fix it (assuming lupdate is actually able
to extract UTF-8 correctly) but in the mean time we'll keep the (US
English) source string like that in order not to break the hard string
freeze. If we get reports from any of the translators that some strings
are untranslatable we *might* temporarily break the string freeze in
order to correct these issues and fix this at the same time..

> Checking the updated themestrings.h file and upstream theme shows no
> issues - the issue seems to be with lupdate. I'm running en_gb.utf8
> here and haven't noticed any other weirdness. Do you see the same
> issue when you update your ts files locally?

Yep, it's here too... I wasn't the person who translated it in my team
so I hadn't noticed it but I can see the problem is present here too...

> I've updated the translation so it works with the "bad" string in the interim.

Which is what we must do unless we have a *very good* reason to
temporarily break the string freeze...

>> As previously mentioned, the release of MythTV 0.25 is scheduled for the 2nd
>> of April, so please submit your final translations as soon as possible.
>
> I updated the translation stats earlier and will again in a few days.
> Overall completions are improving but I'm hoping for a lot of updates
> come in for those languages with low current completions :)

Thank you!

Have a nice day!

Nicolas
Re: Themestrings has been updated for 0.25 - It's time to start translating! :) [ In reply to ]
2012/3/22 Nicolas Riendeau <knight@teksavvy.com>
> On 3/22/2012 12:57 PM, Nick Morrott wrote:
> > On 21 March 2012 14:05, Kenni Lund<kenni@kelu.dk>  wrote:
> >> FYI, a couple of corrections to the themestrings were comitted earlier
> >> today. We expect that all strings will stay frozen from now on until
> >> the
> >> final release.
> >
> > I noticed some UTF-8 weirdness today after updating for the en_gb
> > translations. The XML element generated by lupdate containing the
> > description text for the Steppes theme (it contains "Français") was
> > not generated with valid UTF-8, but rather each of the two bytes
> > representing the "ç" character (should be C3 A7) was further
> > re-encoded into UTF-8 so that 4 bytes in total (C3 83 C2 A7) were
> > output for the character in the file.

Heh...that bug just won't die :) First the encoding issue appeared in
the theme downloader generation script, then in the themestrings tool
and now in lupdate...

> I think I have an idea how to fix it (assuming lupdate is actually able
> to extract UTF-8 correctly)

Ok, good, I haven't looked at it yet.

> freeze. If we get reports from any of the translators that some strings
> are untranslatable we *might* temporarily break the string freeze in
> order to correct these issues and fix this at the same time..

Yep, if it's the only string that needs fixing, let's just fix it
through the translations. If we want to, we can always fix the source
string as well as the single character in all of the translations, on
the day before the release of 0.25.

Best regards
Kenni
Re: Themestrings has been updated for 0.25 - It's time to start translating! :) [ In reply to ]
Hi!

On 3/22/2012 2:24 PM, Kenni Lund wrote:
> 2012/3/22 Nicolas Riendeau<knight@teksavvy.com>
>> On 3/22/2012 12:57 PM, Nick Morrott wrote:
>>> I noticed some UTF-8 weirdness today after updating for the en_gb
>>> translations. The XML element generated by lupdate containing the
>>> description text for the Steppes theme (it contains "Français") was
>>> not generated with valid UTF-8, but rather each of the two bytes
>>> representing the "ç" character (should be C3 A7) was further
>>> re-encoded into UTF-8 so that 4 bytes in total (C3 83 C2 A7) were
>>> output for the character in the file.
>
> Heh...that bug just won't die :) First the encoding issue appeared in
> the theme downloader generation script, then in the themestrings tool
> and now in lupdate...

(Kenni I know you most likely know a good deal of this but since I'm
posting this to the mailing list I might as well document the problem we
had with this...)

I can only assume All of these scripts/programs assumed that the strings
where all in US-ASCII or when they were made there wasn't anything to
test them with to make sure they produced the expected results.

In the case of the themestrings tool what was most likely happening is
that the output which was forced to be outputted in UTF-8 was later
re-encoded into our local character set (which is most likely UTF-8 for
many if not all of us) by the QTextStream.

This time the problem is slightly different... By default lupdate
assumes that we are using ISO-8859-1** in the source files (when what we
trying to make it process is in UTF-8) so it takes it, assumes the "ç"
which is encoded using two bytes in UTF-8 is actually two characters in
ISO-8859-1 and proceeds to re-encode it into UTF-8 to store it in the
translation file with catastrophic results.

** lupdate default encoding, it's also known under the name Latin1.

The reason why this never caused problems before is that our strings are
normally in US-ASCII and both ISO-8859-1 and UTF-8 are supersets of
US-ASCII. What this means is that as long as the original text only
contains US-ASCII characters its encoding is *identical* in both
ISO-8859-1 and UTF-8.

While both are supersets of US-ASCII all non-US-ASCII characters are not
encoded them in the same way (even if the character values match).

So as long as everything was in US-ASCII none of these encoding problems
popped up...

>> I think I have an idea how to fix it (assuming lupdate is actually able
>> to extract UTF-8 correctly)
>
> Ok, good, I haven't looked at it yet.

I'll do a few more spot checks tomorrow (it's pretty late here now) but
unless I find a problem with the fix I found (I'm not expecting to find
any though) I'll commit the fix in every file except for the one for the
programs under mythtv/ since we don't want to fix it right now since it
would actually add a new string.

(The fix will be added at a later time...)

The resulting translation file is encoded correctly after applying the
fix and it will display correctly in the main translation window but Qt
Linguist will still be unable to display the source file correctly (a
bug in Qt Linguist).

>> freeze. If we get reports from any of the translators that some strings
>> are untranslatable we *might* temporarily break the string freeze in
>> order to correct these issues and fix this at the same time..
>
> Yep, if it's the only string that needs fixing, let's just fix it
> through the translations. If we want to, we can always fix the source
> string as well as the single character in all of the translations, on
> the day before the release of 0.25.

Yep, the problem is quite harmless and doesn't justify adding a new
string at this time...

Have a nice day!

Nicolas

Re: Themestrings has been updated for 0.25 - It's time to start translating! :) [ In reply to ]
Hi!

On 3/23/2012 2:55 AM, Nicolas Riendeau wrote:
> On 3/22/2012 2:24 PM, Kenni Lund wrote:
>> Heh...that bug just won't die :) First the encoding issue appeared in
>> the theme downloader generation script, then in the themestrings tool
>> and now in lupdate...

The first issue was fixed by Chris Pinkham, the second by you and the
third by me, I am not sure any other issue in MythTV implicated so many
people in a relatively short amount of time... (-;

Have a nice day!

Nicolas

Re: Themestrings has been updated for 0.25 - It's time to start translating! :) [ In reply to ]
Hi!

On 3/22/2012 12:57 PM, Nick Morrott wrote:
> I noticed some UTF-8 weirdness today after updating for the en_gb
> translations. The XML element generated by lupdate containing the
> description text for the Steppes theme (it contains "Français") was
> not generated with valid UTF-8, but rather each of the two bytes
> representing the "ç" character (should be C3 A7) was further
> re-encoded into UTF-8 so that 4 bytes in total (C3 83 C2 A7) were
> output for the character in the file.

I have a fix fox this but will only apply it once 0.25 is released
(which should be in a week)

Running lupdate for the first time after applying the fix produces
warning messages and even though they are harmless now is not the time,
with so little time left to complete the translations, to add something
which might make translators think there is something wrong with their
translations.

Have a nice day!

Nicolas
Re: Themestrings has been updated for 0.25 - It's time to start translating! :) [ In reply to ]
2012/3/26 Nicolas Riendeau <knight@teksavvy.com>

> Hi!
>

> On 3/22/2012 12:57 PM, Nick Morrott wrote:
>
>> I noticed some UTF-8 weirdness today after updating for the en_gb
>> translations. The XML element generated by lupdate containing the
>> description text for the Steppes theme (it contains "Français") was
>> not generated with valid UTF-8, but rather each of the two bytes
>> representing the "ç" character (should be C3 A7) was further
>> re-encoded into UTF-8 so that 4 bytes in total (C3 83 C2 A7) were
>> output for the character in the file.
>>

> I have a fix fox this but will only apply it once 0.25 is released (which
> should be in a week)
>
> Running lupdate for the first time after applying the fix produces warning
> messages and even though they are harmless now is not the time, with so
> little time left to complete the translations, to add something which might
> make translators think there is something wrong with their translations.
>

> Have a nice day!
>
> Nicolas

Hi

Is it safe to include 'Français' in the translation? (can't test the .qm
file right now)

Regards,

Walter
Re: Themestrings has been updated for 0.25 - It's time to start translating! :) [ In reply to ]
2012/3/28 Walter Cheuk <wwycheuk@gmail.com>:
> 2012/3/26 Nicolas Riendeau <knight@teksavvy.com>
>>
>> Hi!
>>

>> On 3/22/2012 12:57 PM, Nick Morrott wrote:
>>>
>>> I noticed some UTF-8 weirdness today after updating for the en_gb
>>> translations. The XML element generated by lupdate containing the
>>> description text for the Steppes theme (it contains "Français") was
>>> not generated with valid UTF-8, but rather each of the two bytes
>>> representing the "ç" character (should be C3 A7) was further
>>> re-encoded into UTF-8 so that 4 bytes in total (C3 83 C2 A7) were
>>> output for the character in the file.
>>

>> I have a fix fox this but will only apply it once 0.25 is released (which
>> should be in a week)
>>
>> Running lupdate for the first time after applying the fix produces warning
>> messages and even though they are harmless now is not the time, with so
>> little time left to complete the translations, to add something which might
>> make translators think there is something wrong with their translations.
>>

>> Have a nice day!
>>
>> Nicolas
>

> Hi
>
> Is it safe to include 'Français' in the translation? (can't test the .qm
> file right now)

Yes, it is safe. Using 'Français' in your translation is the preferred
workaround until a better fix gets implemented.

Best regards
Kenni