Mailing List Archive

New theme: mythaeon
Hi all,

If have created my second theme called mythaeon which is insprired by the
original XBMC theme aeon. The theme has a native resolution of 1920x1080,
works on mythtv 0.26 (and higher) and includes support for the following
plugins:

* mythmusic
* mythgallery
* mythnetvision
* mythbrowser
* mythweather
* mytharchive
* mythnews

Screenshots of the theme can be viewed on:
https://code.google.com/p/mythaeon/

@Chris, could you please include this theme into your scripts to make it
available in the theme down loader so other people can enjoy? I currently
have a master branch and 0.26 branch available.

Support for mythgame is currently being development.

I'll start to add support for 0.27 once I finished mythgame. I'll update
the mythtv theming wiki after the theme has been added to the theme
downloader.

Cheers,

Ted.
Re: New theme: mythaeon [ In reply to ]
very nice work!

Re: New theme: mythaeon [ In reply to ]
Insanely cool theme !

On 13 July 2013 07:32, Ted Verhagen <ted.verhagen@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> If have created my second theme called mythaeon which is insprired by the
> original XBMC theme aeon. The theme has a native resolution of 1920x1080,
> works on mythtv 0.26 (and higher) and includes support for the following
> plugins:
>
> * mythmusic
> * mythgallery
> * mythnetvision
> * mythbrowser
> * mythweather
> * mytharchive
> * mythnews
>
> Screenshots of the theme can be viewed on:
> https://code.google.com/p/mythaeon/
>
> @Chris, could you please include this theme into your scripts to make it
> available in the theme down loader so other people can enjoy? I currently
> have a master branch and 0.26 branch available.
>
> Support for mythgame is currently being development.
>
> I'll start to add support for 0.27 once I finished mythgame. I'll update
> the mythtv theming wiki after the theme has been added to the theme
> downloader.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ted.

"Weekends don't count unless you spend them doing something completely
pointless. " - Calvin
Re: New theme: mythaeon [ In reply to ]
* On Fri Jul 12, 2013 at 09:32:02PM +0200, Ted Verhagen wrote:
> @Chris, could you please include this theme into your scripts to make it
> available in the theme down loader so other people can enjoy? I currently
> have a master branch and 0.26 branch available.

Thanks for the heads up, I have it set to start packaging for 0.26 and master
now. They should show up in the next 12 hours after the crons, rsyncs, etc. run.

--
Chris
Re: New theme: mythaeon [ In reply to ]
* On Thu Jul 18, 2013 at 03:55:59PM -0700, Chris Pinkham wrote:
> * On Fri Jul 12, 2013 at 09:32:02PM +0200, Ted Verhagen wrote:
> > @Chris, could you please include this theme into your scripts to make it
> > available in the theme down loader so other people can enjoy? I currently
> > have a master branch and 0.26 branch available.
>
> Thanks for the heads up, I have it set to start packaging for 0.26 and master
> now. They should show up in the next 12 hours after the crons, rsyncs, etc. run.

Oh, and nice theme BTW. :)

--
Chris
Re: New theme: mythaeon [ In reply to ]
Thanks!

Re: New theme: mythaeon [ In reply to ]
Hi

Congratulations, it's a very nice looking theme...

One thing though, and I'm not sure if it's due to the theme or the
painting engine.
In the videos screen, moving the cursor left or right cause the entire
screens to be refreshed.

it quickly gets annoying...
Re: New theme: mythaeon [ In reply to ]
On 1 August 2013 20:50, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Congratulations, it's a very nice looking theme...
>
> One thing though, and I'm not sure if it's due to the theme or the
> painting engine.
> In the videos screen, moving the cursor left or right cause the entire
> screens to be refreshed.
>
> it quickly gets annoying...

Thanks to StuartM, most of the excessive refresh issues have been
resolved. It's much faster now (and more usable)

I use mythaeon now as my main theme... Few comments:
- Recording screen: While very pretty, it makes searching for a recent
recording quite difficult. Having to scroll right to get to an earlier
recording, where the only feedback is the screenshot (which often
doesn't correspond to the recording content) and you get to know what
it is only once highlighted.
Would it be possible to have an alternative view in list, so at a
glance you can see 10-12 recording titles at once and immediately see
which one to select? That would make the wife happy, she finds the
theme annoying as it is.

-Video screen: The fullscreen background artwork is almost completely
covered... Would need some transparency there otherwise I think it's a
bit of a waste. My video libraries is organised by folders (one for
each type: action, Sci-Fi, TV etc...)
When selecting a folder, you can barely see the artwork; (looks like
this: http://i43.tinypic.com/30xakqp.png)

-Menu: The text for the menu is severely shorten here... you see 5
characters at a max, after that it scrolls...

That's all for now
Re: New theme: mythaeon [ In reply to ]

> On 1 August 2013 20:50, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Congratulations, it's a very nice looking theme...
>>
>> One thing though, and I'm not sure if it's due to the theme or the
>> painting engine.
>> In the videos screen, moving the cursor left or right cause the entire
>> screens to be refreshed.
>>
>> it quickly gets annoying...
>

> Thanks to StuartM, most of the excessive refresh issues have been
> resolved. It's much faster now (and more usable)

What was the cause or source of this issue? I've got the same thing happening in my theme as well, but I haven't been able to find what is making it happen.

-Josh
Re: New theme: mythaeon [ In reply to ]
On 08/06/2013 08:44 AM, Josh Stewart wrote:
>> On 1 August 2013 20:50, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Congratulations, it's a very nice looking theme...
>>>
>>> One thing though, and I'm not sure if it's due to the theme or the
>>> painting engine.
>>> In the videos screen, moving the cursor left or right cause the entire
>>> screens to be refreshed.
>>>
>>> it quickly gets annoying...
>>
>> Thanks to StuartM, most of the excessive refresh issues have been
>> resolved. It's much faster now (and more usable)
> What was the cause or source of this issue? I've got the same thing happening in my theme as well, but I haven't been able to find what is making it happen.

http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/11717

(I don't think it was a theme issue.)

Mike
Re: New theme: mythaeon [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday, 6 August 2013, Josh Stewart wrote:

> What was the cause or source of this issue? I've got the same thing
> happening in my theme as well, but I haven't been able to find what is
> making it happen.

It was mostly a regression in the image caching code. Images were reloaded
when they didn't have to.

Having said that; there are things that should be done to make things
faster and Stuart indicated that he will write a guide about it.
Try to use shapes instead of images etc...
Re: New theme: mythaeon [ In reply to ]
> - Recording screen: While very pretty, it makes searching for a recent
> recording quite difficult. Having to scroll right to get to an earlier
> recording, where the only feedback is the screenshot (which often
> doesn't correspond to the recording content) and you get to know what
> it is only once highlighted.
> Would it be possible to have an alternative view in list, so at a
> glance you can see 10-12 recording titles at once and immediately see
> which one to select? That would make the wife happy, she finds the
> theme annoying as it is.

Your wife is reacting exactly the same as my girlfriend :) But once I
explained about the recording groups feature (i.e. pressing 'up' and 'down'
keys and possibility to filter on specific groups) she didn't complain
anymore. If more alternative windows for recordings will be developed (like
it is the case for the video library) I can extend the gui for
different/alternative views. Additionally, a feature to search in the
recordings library like the one which is implemented in mythmusic would be
very much appreciated as I have currently more then a 1000 recordings
stored in the library and scrolling up and down (even with the group filter
applied) can be a bit weary.

> -Video screen: The fullscreen background artwork is almost completely
> covered... Would need some transparency there otherwise I think it's a
> bit of a waste. My video libraries is organised by folders (one for
> each type: action, Sci-Fi, TV etc...)
> When selecting a folder, you can barely see the artwork; (looks like
> this: http://i43.tinypic.com/30xakqp.png)

I'm not entirely happy with the video gallery myself as well. I first
designed it without the panel background but later decided to add the panel
(which indeed is covering most of the artwork) as I thought it to be better
looking. I rarely use the gallery view and most of the times use the list
and browse view. I'll have another look at it once I finished the
mythzoneminder plugin.

> -Menu: The text for the menu is severely shorten here... you see 5
> characters at a max, after that it scrolls...

Can you post a screenshot, not sure what you mean... I assume you have
applied the included menu theme as well.

Thanks Ted.

Re: New theme: mythaeon [ In reply to ]
On 11 August 2013 06:11, Ted Verhagen <ted.verhagen@gmail.com> wrote:
>> - Recording screen: While very pretty, it makes searching for a recent
>> recording quite difficult. Having to scroll right to get to an earlier
>> recording, where the only feedback is the screenshot (which often
>> doesn't correspond to the recording content) and you get to know what
>> it is only once highlighted.
>> Would it be possible to have an alternative view in list, so at a
>> glance you can see 10-12 recording titles at once and immediately see
>> which one to select? That would make the wife happy, she finds the
>> theme annoying as it is.
>
> Your wife is reacting exactly the same as my girlfriend :) But once I
> explained about the recording groups feature (i.e. pressing 'up' and 'down'
> keys and possibility to filter on specific groups) she didn't complain
> anymore. If more alternative windows for recordings will be developed (like

I guess you didn't let her actually use that screen either then :)

IMHO, it is completely useless to find a particular recordings that
occurred in the past few days.

The idea is to find a recordings not by its title but about where it
was last recorded (e.g. you know it was yesterday).

The filtered list, is sorted by title it takes forever to find
something in there and the list can be huge (there are over 1000
titles in my case).

So really, it's no replacement.

> Can you post a screenshot, not sure what you mean... I assume you have
> applied the included menu theme as well.

It seems to be happening only on the mac... look like the fonts are
different somehow... are you including the font or are you relying on
a system font to exist?

I saw another issue in the playback menu -> audio

The "enable upmixer" entry is shown as "Auto Detect"...

Finally, would be nice for the theme to support the new notifications
introduced in 0.27
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Notification-ui.xml

(looking at the default notification-ui.xml would give a tad more
detail about it)
Re: New theme: mythaeon [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 10 Aug 2013 22:11:59 Ted Verhagen wrote:
>Additionally, a feature to search in the
> recordings library like the one which is implemented in mythmusic would
be
> very much appreciated as I have currently more then a 1000 recordings
> stored in the library and scrolling up and down (even with the group filter
> applied) can be a bit weary.

It sounds like you might benefit from the incremental Search feature? I don't
think it's bound by default, but you can do so under "Edit Keys > Global >
Search".

This works in all lists, not just for recordings.
--
Stuart Morgan
MythTV
Re: New theme: mythaeon [ In reply to ]
On 11 August 2013 21:06, Stuart Morgan <stuart@tase.co.uk> wrote:
> On Saturday 10 Aug 2013 22:11:59 Ted Verhagen wrote:
>
>>Additionally, a feature to search in the
>
>> recordings library like the one which is implemented in mythmusic would be
>
>> very much appreciated as I have currently more then a 1000 recordings
>
>> stored in the library and scrolling up and down (even with the group
>> filter
>
>> applied) can be a bit weary.
>

> It sounds like you might benefit from the incremental Search feature? I
> don't think it's bound by default, but you can do so under "Edit Keys >
> Global > Search".

having a 1-ABC 2->DEF type searching would help greatly when all you
have is a remote control...
Re: New theme: mythaeon [ In reply to ]
Ted Verhagen <ted.verhagen@gmail.com> says:
> Additionally, a feature to search in the recordings library like the
> one which is implemented in mythmusic would be very much appreciated

In addition to the search box Stuart mentioned, check out the
PAGEBOTTOM, PAGETOP, and PAGEMIDDLE global keybindings. I have them
bound to 8, 2, and 5, respectively.
Re: New theme: mythaeon [ In reply to ]
> I guess you didn't let her actually use that screen either then :)

Well, she eventually learned to live with it... Anyway, when I've some time
left, I will give it another try.

> It seems to be happening only on the mac... look like the fonts are
> different somehow... are you including the font or are you relying on
> a system font to exist?

Fonts are included in the theme. What I noticed from your screenshot was
that the theme doesn't appear to use them.

> I saw another issue in the playback menu -> audio
>
> The "enable upmixer" entry is shown as "Auto Detect"...

I'll look into that, haven't noticed that since I don't use the upmixer
feature.

> It sounds like you might benefit from the incremental Search feature? I
don't think it's bound by default, but you can > > do so under "Edit Keys >
Global > Search".

That indeed helps a lot, thanks Stuart.

Re: New theme: mythaeon [ In reply to ]
> Would it be possible to have an alternative view in list, so at a
> glance you can see 10-12 recording titles at once and immediately see
> which one to select? That would make the wife happy, she finds the
> theme annoying as it is.

I did some rework on the recordings window to make it more usable: Added
labels with information about recording date, season & episode info and
title. The screen now looks like this:

http://i1314.photobucket.com/albums/t567/tedverhagen/MythaeonRecordings2_zps298517ea.png

As I needed to resize the panel areas to make the labels fit nicely into
the screen, I now need to adjust all the other windows, as they blend in
into the panel area to show fanart or preview image, in recordings-ui.xml
before I can publish.

Re: New theme: mythaeon [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday, 21 August 2013, Ted Verhagen wrote:

> > Would it be possible to have an alternative view in list, so at a
> > glance you can see 10-12 recording titles at once and immediately see
> > which one to select? That would make the wife happy, she finds the
> > theme annoying as it is.
>
> I did some rework on the recordings window to make it more usable: Added
> labels with information about recording date, season & episode info and
> title. The screen now looks like this:
>

> http://i1314.photobucket.com/albums/t567/tedverhagen/MythaeonRecordings2_zps298517ea.png

This looks nice.
I like that you have the details underneath non selected window.

Re: New theme: mythaeon [ In reply to ]
I just upgraded to 0.27 beta and tried this theme out, are the text
for menu choices supposed to be unreadably long?

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!
Re: New theme: mythaeon [ In reply to ]
On 27 August 2013 12:07, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just upgraded to 0.27 beta and tried this theme out, are the text
> for menu choices supposed to be unreadably long?

Did you change the menu type to MythAeon in Setup->Appearances?

which platform are you running it on?
On mac, the font isn't properly selected and another font is used,
causing the menu item to scroll
Re: New theme: mythaeon [ In reply to ]
On 13 July 2013 05:32, Ted Verhagen <ted.verhagen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> If have created my second theme called mythaeon which is insprired by the
> original XBMC theme aeon. The theme has a native resolution of 1920x1080,
> works on mythtv 0.26 (and higher) and includes support for the following
> plugins:
>
> * mythmusic
> * mythgallery
> * mythnetvision
> * mythbrowser
> * mythweather
> * mytharchive
> * mythnews

there's something not quite right on what happen when you navigate in
video library

so we have 3 rows of 10 icons.

on my setup, the first row is empty but the last column (so I have 21 icons).
when I'm on the 2nd row, with the cursor on the 9th column. Going
right move the cursor position line 1, column 10

if my cursor is row 3, column 10, and I press left, instead of finding
myself in row 3, column 9; I get on row 1, column 10

if I'm on row 3, col 9 and I press right, you get to row 2 col 10

etc...
Re: New theme: mythaeon [ In reply to ]
> there's something not quite right on what happen when you navigate in
> video library

I did notice that as well but at the time didn't want to look into it...
What I did with the configuration of the buttonlist to be used in the
gallery view is this:

<layout>grid</layout>
<scrollstyle>free</scrollstyle>
<arrange>fixed</arrange>
<align>allcenter</align>
<wrapstyle>items</wrapstyle>
<showarrow>no</showarrow>
<drawfrombottom>yes</drawfrombottom>

The <wrapstyle> attribute is set to "items" to make the buttonlist jump to
the beginning and causes the appearance of the list to fill the screen when
there are more columns and row in the list then there are on the screen.
Where it goes wrong is when the attribute <drawfrombottom> is set to "yes".
This causes the buttonlist to be drawn from the right bottom of the area
which is set in the <buttonarea>, but doesn't take into account that due to
the list being drawn in reverse order the rows might add up differently
when not all rows and columns are filled by the items in the list: this is
what is causing the navigation to screw up :(

> on my setup, the first row is empty but the last column (so I have 21
icons).
> when I'm on the 2nd row, with the cursor on the 9th column. Going
> right move the cursor position line 1, column 10

In the case of your setup, it jumps to what it thinks is the first item in
the row when the right arrow is pressed (which would be correct if the list
was drawn top to bottom).

I guess I need to fill a bug report to get this fixed, as this is not the
way the list should behave when drawn bottom to top.

B.T.W. I removed the background panel as per your previous comment: The
video gallery now looks like this:

http://i1314.photobucket.com/albums/t567/tedverhagen/MythaeonVideoGallery_zps9b8e86a4.png

Will include into the next release of the theme (which will be once I
finished MythZoneminder plugin).

Re: New theme: mythaeon [ In reply to ]
http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/11790#ticket